Subject: Minutes from January DIR-SYNCH Meeting
From: "Bor, Alexis" <[email-masked]>
To: dssig <[email-masked]>, XAPIA Dir Synch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 94 10:23:00 PST

I am attaching an ASCII text version of the minutes from the January 
DIR-SYNCH meeting.  I expect to have postscript, RTF, and Word versions at 
nemo.ncsl.nist.gov soon and will send another message out at that time.

Alexis Bor
[email-masked]

                            Page
     XAPIA Directory Synchronization SIG Meeting Minutes
            January 20th 1994 - January 21st 1994

DISTRIBUTION:

Chair:         Alexis Bor               (BOEING)
Minute Taker:  Steve Cropper            (HITACHI)

Attendees:
               Christopher Nguyen       (HITACHI)
               Fred Stein               (HITACHI)
               Peter Chang              (HP)
               Yea-Cheng Wang      (HP)
               Eva Kuiper               (OSIWare - InfoNet
CSCL)
               Kirpal Khalsa            (Tandem)

Others:
               XAPIA Steering Committee Members

______________________________________________________
Agenda:

1.  Review and approve minutes
2.  Action Item Review
3.  New Business and Submissions
4.  Continue work from previous meeting
5.  Discuss EMA Directory Synch Status presentation / panel
  discussion for April 1994 conference (Alexis to do this)
6.  Discuss status of CAN - possibility of bringing in an
expert
7.  Next meeting(s)
8.  Review new action Items
9.  Other items (if any)
     - Where to get OIDs
     - Attributes with similar values in different
environments
     - Vendor attribute requirements
     - Microsoft/Apple Agreement
     - Identify Where and how Data is Mastered etc.
     - Name Translation
     - Where and how to publish our findings (XAPIA, NIST,
RFC? ...)
     - Kirpal to bring in Mailing List for Friday session
     - File formats
     - Schedule - Report to Steering Committee
10. Close meeting

 Goal of Meetings is to get a rough outline together so that
   need for meetings is reduced and work can progress via
                           Email.

______________________________________________________
Minutes review:

Errata

PAGE 1
 Kirpal's address should read: [email-masked]

 Fourth Paragraph in 1.0 beginning "Extensibility should
 ..." has an incomplete sentence beginning "OIDs have been"
 ?

 Agenda will include OID discussion so strike OIDs have
 been from the Previous minutes.

PAGE 2
 Item 2. Specifies a "new requirement". This is not a new
 requirement it has been covered in previous meetings.

 Bottom of Page 2 discusses different variants of "D".
 Steve C asked why the name wouldn't be separate Attributes
 for flexibility. (New Agenda Item added to deal with this)

 [Alexis: We need to have a set of recommendations in the
 final document defining the best  way to handle Dir.
 Synch.]

PAGE 3
 Point 4. Alexis: We need to solicit from vendors what
 attributes they support so that we can at least specify
 mappings in final document. Enter new Agenda Item for the
 meeting to discuss this.

 Figure No. 2 discussed and it was agreed that it is no
 longer applicable and the meeting at NIST agreed that
 Figure 5 on Page 5 was the agreed upon model. Should have
 statement before point 5 on page 3 that reads "We migrated
 from the model in figure 2 to the model in figure 5"

 At Point 5 discussing CAN definitions from NADF
 specification SD-7 Alexis handed out the SD-7 document.

PAGE 4
 Discussion on Figure 3 lead to the need for a discussion
 of Address Space as a new agenda item.

PAGE 5
 Figure 5 lead to a request from Peter as to what the scope
 of the Dir. Synch. mechanism is. Is it just the Flat file
 format or do we need to cover protocol also. Kirpal: The
 document we come up with MUST  (via annexes) describe
 solutions outside of X.500. These annexes might be able to
 reference NIST OIW agreements which could refer to
 agreements. A publication mechanism should be discussed as
 a new agenda item.

______________________________________________________
Action Item Review:

1. Alexis still to do this but didn't have time - will do
 this by next meeting.
 1/21 - OPEN

2. No progress so far, Alexis will adopt this action (due to
 proximity) and will try to talk next week.        1/21 -
 OPEN

3. Alexis has talked to Steve Kille who is putting together
 a Dir Synch. Paper. The ISODE are looking to using CDC
 solution for Dir Synch. CDC may write the paper that Steve
 was going to.
                                              1/21 - OPEN

4. Alexis talked to Ken Rossen to get Al Grimstead to
 present the SD-7 document. This could cost $2000 (Al is a
 consultant).
 Roger Mizumori (BOEING) will ask the XAPIA Committee to
 fund this. Alexis wants to do this sometime in March/April
 timeframe.
                                              1/21 - OPEN

______________________________________________________
New Business:
 All new business was added as agenda items (see above
 under Other Items )

______________________________________________________
Continue Work From Previous Meeting:

 Major effort during the meeting in addition to the rest of
 the Agenda items was to define the Document structure.
 This will facilitate the work effort during the period
 between face to face meetings.

 The Document Outline is shown on the next page:

                      Table Of Contents
Introduction

Scope

Glossary Of Terms

Model(s) - Functional Architecture

Access Control/Security

Management/Administration

 - Error Handling
 - Billing Issues
Synchronization Space Service Description

 - Behavior
 - Interface
File Format

Schema & Object Definitions

Registration Process

Directory Information Ownership/Mastering

Conformance Requirements

For Future Study

Appendices

Examples

Allocation Of Object Ids

Recommended Practices

References

______________________________________________________
Discuss EMA Directory Synch. Status and presentation (Alexis
scheduled to do this in April).

Intent to give out a rough draft of XAPIA Dir. Synch .
document at EMA assuming it is in a reasonable state to do
so. Alexis will contact Debbie Burkhart in this regard.

______________________________________________________
Discuss status of CAN - possibility of bringing in an
expert:

 NADF documents SD-9, SD-7 and SD-4 were distributed for
 Review

 This discussion covered as previous action Item. Ken
 Rossen will try to persuade Al to attend NIST OIW at
 March. See next meetings.

______________________________________________________
Other items:

 - Where to get OIDs

It was decided that registration of OIDs for Synchronization
purposes would be carried out by the Registering
Organization (Company). If the Company didn't have (or want)
its own ARC from the ISO-Country-US-Organization ARC then
they could register via NIST-OIW DSSIG. This would be under
a ...OIW-DSSIG ARC which the nominated naming authority  is
the OIW DSSIG.

XAPIA Dir. Synch. Spec. will define a Dir. Synch. Object
Class OID which will be adopted from the OIW DSSIG ARC.
Discussion of Dir. Synch. Object Class will be covered in
later discussions.

 - Attributes with similar values in different environments

Discussion evolved from agenda item related to OID
specification. It was determined that XAPIA should specify
an Object Class  for Directory Synchronization which could
be used either integral to an X.500 Database or in canonical
form in a non-X.500 environment.

Synch space is set up from any media, E-Mail to Carrier
Pigeon.

Synch. Space contains Synchronization Agreement (only need
one per Mail System) so that when MSMail wants data it asks
for it from Synch. Space and Synch Space applies rules and
ships back data in form that Requesting system needs it.

Model:
     - Synch Space Service defining behavior (propogation
          requirements, error handling etc.)
     - Synch Space Service Interface definition (File
          format, Service Operation definitions,
          Propogation.Access Ctrl Activities).

Alexis: By using this model then prototyping (at Boeing or
other places) can be achieved to validate Spec.

Issues: Missing data, Duplicate data, Resolution of unknown
names (Smith001), File format, Uniqueness, Access Control,
Rule mapping, completeness,

 - Vendor/User participation liason letter

A list of potentially interested parties (Vendors and Users)
was compiled. Alexis will compose a liason letter for
distribution in an effort to solicit contributions and
participation in the Directory Synchronization effort.

The list:

cc:Mail        Microsoft      Beyond Mail    DaVinci
WordPerfect    Oracle         HP Openmail    Softswitch
Apple          Wang           Bull           IBM O/V
Worldtalk      CDS            Boston S/W     ICL
                              Works
DEC            Retix          Marben         Alprange
Maxware        Nexor          ISODE          IETF   MHS-DS
                                                       OSI-
                                             DS
                                                 Proj.
                                             Longbud
Novell         EMA(all        Siemens/       Sun
               members)       Nixdorf
AT&T           Northern       User Groups    NIST CSL
               Telecom
COS            X/Open         OSF            XAPIA Members
NADF           Vendors in     Banyan         Lotus Notes
               OIW, EWOS,
               AOW
Wollongong     XAPIA          OMG            MadMan
               Calendaring

 - Microsoft/Apple Agreement

Eva to contact Neil Koorland (Microsoft) for more
information.

 - Identify Where and how Data is Mastered etc.

It is our assumption that this will be a natural fall out of
the document as the Model is evolved in the document.

                  Example of Synch process

 - Name Translation

Rule mapping (taking MSMail Names into cc:Mail names) is out
of the scope of the Dir. Synch. SIG. The mechanism for doing
this will be a local matter/implementation issue. The main
goal of the Directory Synch. work will be to ensure that
sufficient standardized attributes (type and value(s)) are
available via the Directory Synchronization mechanism to
facilitate Name Translation.

This mechanism will be addressed in the document.

 - Where and how to publish our findings (XAPIA, NIST, RFC?
...)

Discussion covered how to publish SIGs specification. The
following is a proposal of where coverage is needed:

   Criteria - Electonically Available in:
                 WORD
                 PS
                 TXT

   Location - OIW DSSIG, XAPIA, INFO RFC.

Investigate OSF RFC
Liason to X/Open

It was determined that Alexis would confirm with XAPIA
steering committee that these proposals would be acceptable.

 - Schedule - Report to Steering Committee

Alexis was actioned to determine what schedule we should be
working to in conjunction with the steering Committee.

 - Kirpal to bring in Mailing List for Friday session

Kirpal brought in the current Mailing List during the Friday
session. This information has been incorporated into the
Table at the beginning of this document.

 - File formats

It was determined that as part of the presentation from NADF
(See Action Item #4 above)  the file format used by CAN
should be covered. This was the format that was agreed to by
the previous meeting in Gaithersberg.
______________________________________________________
New Actions:

5. Alexis to talk to CDS to get them involved.

6. Alexis to contact Debbie Burkhart at EMA regarding EMA
 presentation.

7. Alexis will report SIG status to XAPIA Steering
 Committee.

8. Eva will contact Neil Koorland (Microsoft) and report
 back to the SIG the status of the recently announced Apple-
 Microsoft Directory Synchronization agreement.

9. Alexis to determine Steering Committee requirements for a
 deliverable from the SIG. Between this meeting and the
 meeting in March Alexis will use this to determine a
 Schedule.

10. Alexis to determine how to liase with the companies
 listed in the table above (see "Vendor/User Participation
 Liason Letter "

11. Kirpal to get the correct designation for use of an OIW
 DSSIG OID.
______________________________________________________
Next Meetings:

At NIST-OIW SIG 3/15 - 3/17, at which time it is hope that
Al Grimstead will present the NADF CAN.

At EMA Meeting 4/18 - 4/22, at which Alexis will present
status of SIG.

At NIST-OIW SIG 6/14 - 6/16.

          Roster of Current and Previous Attendees

Name         Org          Phone     Fax       Internet e-mail
Sunil Bajaj  Mobil        703-846-  703-846-  [email-masked]
                          3796      3939
Chuck Bann   Wang         508-967-  508-452-  [email-masked]
                          2764      0896      ng.com
Sharon       BNR          613-765-  613-763-  [email-masked]
Boeyen                    4931      8385
Alexis Bor   Boeing       206-865-  206-865-  [email-masked]
                          3631      6903      g.com
Peter Chang  HP           408-447-  408-447-  [email-masked]
                          3474      3660
Ella         Mitre        703-883-  703-883-  [email-masked]
Gardner                   5826      7142      om
John Hunt    SITA         404-850-  404-850-  [email-masked]
                          5184      5890
Kirpal       Tandem       408-285-  408-285-  Khalsa_Kirpal@tande
Khalsa                    4070      4324      m.com
Eva Kuiper   OSIWARE      604-436-  604-436-  Kuiper
                          2922      3192      @vancouver.osiware.
                                              bc.ca
Naresh       Oracle       415-506-  415-506-  [email-masked]
Kumar                     3140      7103
Terry        IBM Fed Sys  301-240-            [email-masked]
Longstreth                6216                .com
Greg Loux    Soft-Switch  215-640-  215-640-  [email-masked]
                          7428      7550
Ken Rossen   SHL                              [email-masked]
             Systemhouse
Rich Schilk  JITC         602-538-  602-538-  rschilk
                          5515      5495      @huachuca-
                                              jitcosi.army.mil
Chun Yo      Unisys       215-993-  215-993-
Shen                      7306      6110
Hemal        McDonnell    703-883-  703-883-  [email-masked]
Wadhia       Douglas      3962      3889      m
+...