Subject: RE: OCSP & PKIX In General

From: Andrew Probert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:49:02 +1100

In another discussion group, an interesting link to PKIX releated
patents is published.... Makc Branchaud's MS thesis, "A Survey of
Public-Key Infrastructures.": -
~http://www.xcert.com/~marcnarc/PKI/
<http://www.xcert.com/marcnarc/PKI/>

I was wondering if anyone has done any analysis of this in regards to
overlap with standards i.e. do these patents preclude any of the current
PKIX standards from being open and freely available?

US5699431 - Method for Efficient Management of CRL - Clause 13,
embedding the location of the CRL in a cert?
US5666416 - Certificate Revocation System - Clause 5, would seem to
prohibit a third party using OCSP?

Andew Probert
Rotek Consulting   http://www.rotek.com.au
a Division of Secure Network Services
Tel  +61 3 9690 8877
Fax +61 3 9690 8171