Subject: revised charter

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 14:39:47 -0500

Folks,

The PKIX WG has been in place for about 3.5 years.  We have managed to
receive apoproval for most of the original PKIX documents and thus it is
time to review the status of the WG and revise the charter to reflect our
ongoing and planned work items.  The draft charter reproduced below was
presented at the WG meeting, and has been forward to the Security Area
directors for review.  I am soliciting comments on this charter, on or
before 4/1, to produce a final version for approavl by the ADs.

Thanks,

Steve

--------------

The PKIX Working Group was  established in the Fall of 1995 with the intent
of developing Internet standards needed to support an X.509-based PKI.
Several informational and standards track documents in support of the
original goals of the WG have been approved by the IESG. The first of these
standards, RFC 2459, profiles the X.509 version 3 certificates and version
2 CRLs for use in the Internet.  The Certificate Management Protocol (CMP,)
the Online certificate Status Protocol (OCSP), and the Certificate
Management Request Format (CRMF) have been approved, as have profiles for
the use of LDAP v2 for certificate and CRL storage and the use of FTP and
HTTP for transport of PKI operations.  An informational RFC on guidelines
for certificate policies and practices also has been published, and the
IESG has approved publication of an information RFC on use of KEA and
ECDSA.  Work continues on a second certificate management protocol, CMP,
closely aligned with the PKCS publications and with the cryptographic
message syntax (CMS) developed for S/MIME.  A roadmap, providing a guide to
the growing set of PKIX document, is also being developed as an
informational RFC.

The working group is now embarking on additional standards work to develop
protocols that are either integral to PKI management, or that are otherwise
closely related to PKI use. Work is ongoing on alternative certificate
revocation methods. There also is work on conventions for certificate name
forms and extension usage for "qualified certificates," certificates
designed for use in (legally binding) non-repudiation contexts. Finally,
work is underway on protocols for time stamping and data certification.
These protocol are designed to support non-repudiation, making use of
certificates and CRLs, and are so tightly bound to PKI use that they
warrant coverage under this working group.

Additional work will be initiated on a profile for X.509 attribute
certificates, resulting in a new RFC and, perhaps,  in extensions to
existing certificate management standards to accommodate differences
between attribute certificates and public-key certificates.

New Goals and Milestones:

 July 99
            Update RFC 2459, in anticipation of progression from PROPOSED
to DRAFT
Complete approval of CMC, qualified certificates, and time-stamp documents
Initiate work on attribute certificate profile.

 Dec 99
	Update March/April RFCs, for progress from PROPOSED to DRAFT
	Complete approval of data notarization document
Publish I-D for attribute certificate profile

March 00
	Complete work on attribute certificate profile

July 00
	Continue RFC updating process, Š

---

From: Francois Rousseau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 09:29:20 -0500

Steve,

I am very please to see that the PKIX WG charter has been expanded to
address Attribute Certificates.

I have no problems with the expanded draft charter, but I have suggested
some minor editorial corrections, see below. You will still need to add the
final RFC number for some of the approved documents that have not yet been
published.

Francois Rousseau
AEPOS Technologies

>The PKIX WG has been in place for about 3.5 years.  We have managed to
receive approval for most of the original PKIX documents and thus it is
time to review the status of the WG and revise the charter to reflect our
ongoing and planned work items.  The draft charter reproduced below was
presented at the WG meeting, and has been forward to the Security Area
directors for review.  I am soliciting comments on this charter, on or
before 4/1, to produce a final version for approval by the ADs.
>Steve
[clip]

The PKIX Working Group was established in the Fall of 1995 with the intent
of developing Internet standards needed to support an X.509-based PKI.
Several informational and standards track documents in support of the
original goals of the WG have been approved by the IESG.  The first of
these standards, RFC 2459, profiles the X.509 version 3 certificates and
version 2 CRLs for use in the Internet.  The Certificate Management
Protocol (CMP) (RFC 2510), the Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP)
(RFC xxxx), and the Certificate Request Management Format (CRMF) (RFC 2511)
have been approved, as have profiles for the use of LDAP v2 for certificate
and CRL storage (RFC xxxx) and the use of FTP and HTTP for transport of PKI
operations (RFC xxxx).  RFC 2527, an informational RFC on guidelines for
certificate policies and practices also has been published, and the IESG
has approved publication of an informational RFC on use of KEA (RFC 2528)
and ECDSA (RFC xxxx).  Work continues on a second certificate management
protocol, CMC, closely aligned with the PKCS publications and with the
cryptographic message syntax (CMS) developed for S/MIME.  A roadmap,
providing a guide to the growing set of PKIX document, is also being
developed as an informational RFC.

forms and extension usage for "qualified certificates", certificates

 July 99
     Update RFC 2459, in anticipation of progression from PROPOSED to DRAFT.
     Complete approval of CMC, qualified certificates, and time-stamp
documents.
     Initiate work on attribute certificate profile.
 
 Dec 99
     Update March/April RFCs, for progress from PROPOSED to DRAFT.
     Complete approval of data notarization document.
     Publish I-D for attribute certificate profile.

 March 00
     Complete work on attribute certificate profile.

 July 00
     Continue RFC updating process.