Subject: Re: QC Certificates, Directories, and Distinguished Names

From: Stefan Santesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:35:43 +0100

Bob,

At 09:25 PM 3/24/99 -0700, Bob Jueneman wrote:
<snip>
>So if I understand the purpose that the QC is intended to serve (and I
>confess that I haven't read the document, although I'm supportive of
>the effort), I would suggest that you modify the requirement to more
>carefully 
>state a requirement that the unmistakable identity provide a least a
>strong
>hint as to where to start looking for that individual if necessary,
>e.g.,
>though some physical location that he has a strong tie to, whether by
>financial, residence, or other means.  If the individual is a itinerant
>laborer or 
>vagrant with not fixed address, all of the identity details in the
>world may 
>not help if he doesn't want to be found.
>
>Bob

I would strongly argue against this. The means of locating a person may
strictly be provided outside of the certificate (and the CA:s service).

In a Swedish ID-card. There are no adress information. There are however a
civic registration number that can be used to track down the person via
official registers.

The way things are stated now is the only reasonable requirement, i.e. that
the information by unmistakable means relates to e specific individual. But
you might still need cooperation from a registration authority (Not only a
CA:s RA in some cases, but a public one) to locate the person.

We can't possibly require more. We have to leave this matter up to the
implementing CA to decide.

/Stefan 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stefan Santesson                <[email-masked]>
Accurata Systemsäkerhet AB      http://www.accurata.se
Slagthuset                      Tel. +46-40 108588              
211 20  Malmö                   Fax. +46-40 150790              
Sweden                        Mobile +46-70 5247799

PGP fingerprint: 89BC 6C79 5B3D 591B 8547  1512 7D11 DBF4 528F 29A0
-------------------------------------------------------------------