Subject: RE: A web of directories

From: Larry Layten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:58:02 -0600

For e-mail certificates, can't you use the domain from
the internet e-mail address to point you to a DNS server
And can't that in turn point you to the correct LDAP directory.

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From:	Stephen Kent [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Tuesday, February 23, 1999 11:04 AM
To:	Bob Jueneman
Cc:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Re: A web of directories

Bob,

Aw, come on now, Bob.  DN's are NOT intended to include pointers to
directory servers.  They are names within the DIT.  Don't try to shoehorn
other info into a DN just because the GeneralName form allows other forms
of IDs.  I agree with the suggestion that one could use the AAI extension
with an appropriate sub-type.  (Actually, a previous version of PKIX Part
1, which allowed for end-entity info rather than CA info makes more sense
here, but we seemd to have lost that distinction along the way.)

Steve

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 12:24:18 -0500

Larry,

>And can't that in turn point you to the correct LDAP directory.

One can certainly look up the user's DNS server based on e-mail address,
but we don't have a record format in the DNS that points to an LDAP
directory as a result.  One could define such a record type, though.

Steve

---

From: Mark Wahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:29:52 -0600

> directory as a result.  One could define such a record type, though.

The IDS, LSD and service location working groups have documented in various
I-Ds how to locate an LDAP server through SRV records in the DNS.  One
place to start is RFC 2377, another is draft-ietf-svrloc-discovery-10.txt.

Mark Wahl, Directory Product Architect
Innosoft International, Inc.

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:34:16 -0500

Mark,

Thanks for the reminder.  How widely used are SRV records, i.e., if I
looked at N DNS MX records, what percentage of corresponding SRV records
would I be likely to find?

Steve

---

From: Hannu Nikkanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:05:25 +0200

Larry, Steve, Bob

there may be more real life complications, I'm actually using four e-mail
accounts (wich have separate DNS servers):

- department level mainly in the office;
- corporation level (special services);
- local ISP from home,
- HotMail, when using somebody else's PC.

I have no strict role division between the addresses so my eMail address
may jump even from one continent to the other just depending the way, I get
connected. Correlating the eMail address with one or more (work, personal,
...) LDAP directories would be difficult.

Hannu

---

From: "Phillip M Hallam-Baker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 11:08:03 -0500

Steve,

	That is exactly what the SRV record that I have been going 
on about for a year now does.

	It was deployed in the Vixie BIND code about 3 years back.

		Phill

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf
> Of Stephen Kent
> Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 1999 12:24 PM
> To: Larry Layten
> Cc: Bob Jueneman; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: A web of directories
> 
> 
> Larry,
>