Subject: DN in a cert

From: "Duran, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:00:58 -0500

I have a question in regards to  the DN/Subject of a certficate. Is it
acceptable generate a certificate with a DN= O=Comapny OU=People UID=UserID?
Id like to avoid CommonName becasue it may change but the UID would not (at
least in my situation)

Rob D.
Aetna -  IT Sercuirty
(860) 636-2462
[email-masked]
 <<Duran, Robert.vcf>>

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:16:31 -0500

Rob,

PKIX does not mandate any particular schema for DNs; in fact, because we
support altSubject names, we don't even mandate use of DNs for end
entities.

Your particular example DN omitted the country attribue, which one usually
employs to ensure global uniqueness of the company name, but even there,
PKIX does not mandate inclusion of that attribute, although most of us
would tend to strongly encourage it.

Steve