Subject: RE: Comments to Qualified Certificates draft

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:50:39 -0500

Stefan Santesson <[email-masked]> on 02/19/99 03:48:53 AM

To:   Anders Rundgren <[email-masked]>, ietf-pkix
      <[email-masked]>
cc:   "'SEIS-List'" <[email-masked]> (bcc: Tom Gindin/Watson/IBM)
Subject:  RE: Comments to Qualified Certificates draft

Comments in line.

At 10:49 AM 2/18/99 +0100, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>--- Message on the SEIS mailing list ([email-masked])
>
>Hi,
> >The subject field SHALL include one of the following choices of sets of
mandatory attributes:
>     >Choice  I:  countryName commonName
>     >Choice II:  countryName givenName surname

One other comment.  Individuals with a single name, usually rendered as a
surname, are fairly common in Indonesia - and possibly some other countries
as well.  X.402 section 18.3.12 defines a personal name with surname
mandatory and the other three subfields (given name, initials, and
generation) optional.  I believe that the Indonesian situation is the
reason why, and that that definition is correct.
>      snip..

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:11:56 -0500

>> Hi, >The subject field SHALL include one of the following choices
 >> of sets of
 > mandatory attributes:
 >> >Choice I: countryName commonName >Choice II: countryName
 >> givenName surname

 > One other comment.  Individuals with a single name, usually
 > rendered as a surname, are fairly common in Indonesia - and
 > possibly some other countries as well.  X.402 section
 > 18.3.12 defines a personal name with surname mandatory and
 > the other three subfields (given name, initials, and
 > generation) optional.  I believe that the Indonesian
 > situation is the reason why, and that that definition is
 > correct.

Yes, the point that insisting on two part names is wrong has been made 
before.  (It's discouraging that apparently that was ignored...)

It seems more logical to consider the single name a given name (since
that's what it is) but what the heck.

On "given name, initials..." does that imply that given name is the
first given name and initials are the starting letter of the
subsequent given names?  If so, that's not the right definition.  Many
people use a given name other than their first name as the name by
which they are known, so that their full name looks like "G. Paul
Koning".  Insisting on the first name being given in full is not
correct.

	paul