Subject: subj.alt.name and uniqueness

From: sankar ramamoorthi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 01:21:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

A question on subj.alt.name. RFC 2459 states that

'If the only subject identity included in the certificate is an
alternative name form (e.g., an electonic mail
address), then the subject distinguished name shall be empty (an empty
sequence), and the subjectAltName
must be present. If the subject field contains an empty sequence, the
subjectAltName extension
shall be marked critical'.

In the above case can I assume the subjectAltName will have the same
uniqueness characterstic
described for subject names?

In general what are uniqueness guarantees for subjectAltNames?

My motivation for this question comes from IPsec usage of
subjectAltNames to store
identies of IPsec devices.

Thanks,

-- sankar ramamoorthi --

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com