Subject: EncapsulatedContentInfo needs clarification

From: Michael Brouwer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 18:27:50 -0700

In the draft-ietf-smime-cms-13.txt document on page 8, in the
explanation of "The Fields of type EncapsulatedContentInfo", the
following sentance appears:

   eContent is the content itself, carried as an octect string.  The
   eContent need not be DER encoded.

What exactly does carried as an octect string mean here.  I know the if
eContentType is id-data the value octects of the content string are the
actual data being signed (or digested or authenticated) however if the
eContentType is id-envelopedData then are the octets of the eContent
octect string an actual BER encoded EnvelopedData object (starting with
a SEQUENCE) or are the octects (simular to the id-Data case) the BER
encoding of the EnvelopedData object without the surrounding SEQUENCE?

I'm not on this list so I would appriciate if you could CC me on
replies.

--

Michael Brouwer

Senior Software Engineer
Apple Data Security Group

---

From: Brian Korver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 08:46:05 -0700

> I'm not on this list so I would appriciate if you could CC me on

Michael,

Yes, take the entire BER encoded EnvelopedData and put it into
the OCTET STRING.  CMS treats all content types similar to how 
id-data types used to be constructed.

brian
[email-masked]      (play)
[email-masked]  (work)