Subject: tokens anyone ? [DoD PKI]

From: "Dave Sweigert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 20:35:05 -0400

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

[DOCID: f:s1059pcs.txt]

                                                       Calendar No. 114

106th CONGRESS

  1st Session

                                S. 1059

                          [Report No. 106-50]
_______________________________________________________________________

                                 A BILL

     To authorize appropriations for fiscal year 2000 for military
activities of the Department of Defense, for military construction, and
   for defense activities of the Department of Energy, to prescribe
personnel strengths for such fiscal year for the Armed Forces, and for
                            other purposes.

_______________________________________________________________________

                 May 17 (legislative day, May 14), 1999

[Excerpt]

SEC. 346. USE OF SMART CARD TECHNOLOGY IN THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE.

    (a) Leadership, Planning, and Execution of Smart Card Program.--(1)
Not later than October 1, 1999, the Secretary of Defense shall
designate the Department of the Navy to be the lead agency for the
development and implementation of a Smart Card program for the
Department of Defense effective as of the date of the designation.
    (2) The Secretary of Defense shall direct the Secretary of the Army
and the Secretary of the Air Force to establish Smart Card project
offices for the Department of the Army and the Department of the Air
Force, respectively, not later than November 30, 1999. The designated
offices shall coordinate closely with the lead agency to develop
implementation plans for exploiting the capability of Smart Card
technology as a means for enhancing readiness and improving business
processes throughout the military departments.
    (3) Not later than November 30, 1999, the Secretary of Defense
shall establish a senior coordinating group chaired by a representative
of the Secretary of the Navy. The group shall include senior
representatives from each of the Armed Forces. The senior coordinating
group shall develop and implement Department-wide interoperability
standards for use of Smart Card technology and a plan to exploit Smart
Card technology as a means for enhancing readiness and improving
business processes.
    (4) The Secretary of the Army and the Secretary of the Air Force,
in coordination with the Secretary of the Navy, shall each develop and
implement a program to demonstrate the benefits of Smart Card
technology in the Army and the Air Force, respectively.
    (b) Increased Use Targeted to Certain Naval Regions.--Not later
than November 30, 1999, the Secretary of the Navy shall establish a
business plan to implement the use of Smart Cards in one major Naval
region of the continental United States that is in the area of
operations of the United States Atlantic Command and one major Naval
region of the continental United States that is in the area of
operations of the United States Pacific Command. The regions selected
shall include a major fleet concentration area. The implementation of
the use of Smart Cards in each region shall cover the Navy and Marine
Corps bases and all non-deployed units in the region. The Secretary of
the Navy shall submit the business plan to the congressional defense
committees.
    (c) Funding for Increased Use of Smart Cards.--(1) Of the funds
authorized to be appropriated for the Navy for fiscal year 2000 under
section 102(a)(4) or 301(a)(2), the Secretary of the Navy--
            (A) shall allocate sufficient amounts, up to $30,000,000,
        for ensuring that significant progress is made toward complete
        implementation of the use of Smart Card technology in the
        Department of the Navy; and
            (B) may allocate additional amounts for the conversion of
        paper-based records to electronic media for records systems
        that have been modified to use Smart Card technology.
    (2) Of the funds authorized to be appropriated under section
301(a)(1), up to $5,000,000 shall be available for Army demonstration
programs under subsection (a)(4). Of the funds authorized to be
appropriated under section 301(a)(4), up to $5,000,000 shall be
available for Air Force demonstration programs under subsection (a)(4).
    (d) Report.--Not later than March 31, 2000, the Secretary of
Defense shall submit to the Committees on Armed Services of the Senate
and the House of Representatives a report containing a detailed
discussion of the progress made by the senior coordinating group in
carrying out its duties under subsection (a)(3).
    (e) Definitions.--In this section:
            (1) The term ``Smart Card'' means a credit card-size
        device, normally for carrying and use by personnel, that
        contains one or more integrated circuits and may also employ
        one or more of the following technologies:
                    (A) Magnetic stripe.
                    (B) Bar codes, linear or two-dimensional.
                    (C) Non-contact and radio frequency transmitters.
                    (D) Biometric information.
                    (E) Encryption and authentication.
                    (F) Photo identification.
            (2) The term ``Smart Card technology'' means a Smart Card
        together with all of the associated information technology
        hardware and software that comprise the system for support and
        operation.
    (f) Repeal of Requirement for Automated Identification Technology
Office.--Section 344(b) of the Strom Thurmond National Defense
Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1999 (Public Law 105-261; 112 Stat.
1977; 10 U.S.C. 113 note) is repealed.

SEC. 347. STUDY ON USE OF SMART CARD AS PKI AUTHENTICATION DEVICE
              CARRIER FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE.

    (a) Study Required.--The Secretary of Defense shall conduct a study
to determine the potential benefits of Department of Defense use of the
Smart Card for addressing the need of the Department of Defense for a
Public-Private Key Infrastructure (PKI) authentication device carrier.
    (b) Report.--Not later than January 31, 2000, the Secretary shall
submit to the Committees on Armed Services of the Senate and the House
of Representatives a report on the results of the study. The report
shall include the Secretary's findings and any recommendations that the
Secretary considers appropriate regarding Department of Defense use of
the Smart Card for addressing the need identified in subsection (a).
    (c) Definitions.--In this section:
            (1) The term ``Smart Card'' means a credit card-size
        device, normally for carrying and use by personnel, that
        contains one or more integrated circuits and may also employ
        one or more of the following technologies:
                    (A) Magnetic stripe.
                    (B) Bar codes, linear or two-dimensional.
                    (C) Non-contact and radio frequency transmitters.
                    (D) Biometric information.
                    (E) Encryption and authentication.
                    (F) Photo identification.
            (2) The term ``Public-Private Key Infrastructure (PKI)
        authentication device carrier'' means a device that physically
        stores, carries, and employs electronic authentication or
        encryption keys necessary to create a unique digital signature,
        digital certificate, or other mark on an electronic document or
        file.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[DOCID: f:sr050.106]
From the Senate Reports Online via GPO Access
[wais.access.gpo.gov]

                                                       Calendar No. 114
_______________________________________________________________________
106th Congress                                                   Report
                                 SENATE
1st Session                                                      106-50
_______________________________________________________________________

                     NATIONAL DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION
                        ACT FOR FISCAL YEAR 2000
                                 REPORT
                         [TO ACCOMPANY S. 1059]

                                   on

AUTHORIZING APPROPRIATIONS FOR FISCAL YEAR 2000 FOR MILITARY ACTIVITIES
  OF THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, FOR MILITARY CONSTRUCTION, AND FOR
  DEFENSE ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY, TO PRESCRIBE PERSONNEL
  STRENGTHS FOR SUCH FISCAL YEAR FOR THE ARMED FORCES, AND FOR OTHER
  PURPOSES

[Excerpt]

Use of smart card technology in the Department of Defense (sec. 346)

    The committee recommends a provision that would require the
Secretary of Defense to designate the Navy as the lead agency
for development and implementation of the SMART CARD program.
The provision would further authorize the Navy to spend up to
$30.0 million for further fielding of the Smart Card. The
provision would further authorize up to $5.0 million for the
Army, and $5.0 million for the Air Force, to expand
implementation of smart card technology throughout the
Department of Defense.
    The committee is pleased with the Navy's efforts to develop
and implement smart card technology. As part of its Revolution
in Business Affairs initiative, the Navy has begun to use smart
cards to re-engineer the processing of new recruits, ensure
seamless transitions from ship to shore in its carrier battle
groups, and significantly improve manifesting and in-transit
visibility of troops.
    The committee encourages the Navy to expand upon its
existing program, and begin to roll out smart card technology
across the entire department. The Navy should also begin to
identify ways smart cards can be exploited to further improve
business processes. One potential area is the conversion of
existing paper-based personnel records to electronic media for
systems that have been modified to use smart card technology.
    The committee understands that both the Army and the Air
Force have expressed an interest in smart card technology, and
have begun to examine ways in which smart cards can be
exploited. With the progress already made by the Navy, benefits
and savings of smart card technology can best be achieved by
ensuring that smart card initiatives are coordinated among all
military services. Accordingly, the committee directs the
Secretary of Defense to establish a senior coordinating group,
led by the Navy, to oversee the development and implementation
of smart card technology across the services. To ensure that
duplicative systems are not needlessly developed, the senior
coordinating group should take particular care to ensure that
smart cards are interoperable both within and among the
services.
    The senior coordinating group should identify and fund
demonstration projects in the Army and Air Force that will
exploit smart cards to improve business processes and enhance
readiness. The committee allocates $5.0 million for each
service for this purpose. The committee is particularly
impressed with reports from USTRANSCOM that smart cards have
reduced the time required to manifest a wide-body aircraft from
3 to 4 hours, to under 20 minutes. A demonstration project that
builds upon the initial success of USTRANSCOM would be an
appropriate use of the Air Force funds.

Study on use of smart card as PKI authentication device carrier for the
        Department of Defense (sec. 347)

    The Department of Defense (DOD) is planning to use Public
Key Infrastructure (PKI) devices as a tool for authenticating
and securing electronic mail and other network communications
as part of its information assurance program. Smart card
technology appears to be a strong candidate for contributing to
the satisfaction of this requirement. Therefore, the committee
recommends a provision that would require the Secretary
ofDefense to conduct a study of the possibility of using smart card
technology for application to satisfy DOD's PKI requirements. The
provision also requires the Secretary to submit to the Senate and House
Armed Services Committees a report on the results of the study not
later than January 31, 2000.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------