Subject: Fw: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-bert1-00.txt

From: "Todd S. Glassey - ELN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 13:19:55 -0700

Friends,
this BERT draft is intended to create a consciousness that one of the more
valuable things we as a standards team can do is to create a suite of
specific "token structures" that other standards groups can use to represent
data elements and events within their transaction models.

BERT is intended to give us a  FSF/GNU-style token architecture that we can
all interoperate through with regard to document processing.

BERT then is more than it seems, it is an agreement between a number of key
market participants to make and create a timestamping marketplace. BERT is
both technical and political then, but lets address the technical side of
BERT here.

The ASN issue
----------------
Michael and I are fully aware that we will need to create an ASN variant of
the BERT and also to allow for several use-specific intentions. We have a
variant of this structure that would contain a document

For the first effort, we needed to provide a mechanism that can be used from
within existing legacy apps to add timestamping and nonrepudiation thereof
to. This meant that the timestamp token had to fit comfortably inside a
DBMS.

The key intent was to create the binary format for the timestamp so that it
could easily fit into existing database systems for authenticating OLTP
events and the like. Also, that by coupling this system with technologies
like Counterpane's mindset for secure logging, you would potentially have a
legally credible logging system for event processing.

This structure we are proposing for the BERT v1 was the best compromise when
we checked with the end users, but it can be changed as needed.

Todd

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 21:13:52 -0400

Todd,

The attachments contained no text, other than

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

and

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-bert1-00.txt

Presumably there is more to the proposal than that/

Steve

---

From: "Todd S. Glassey - ELN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 19:06:48 -0700

Sorry Steve, it was just the posting notice.