Subject: Timestamp: GeneralizedTime

From: "Manger, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:37:49 +1000

The ASN.1 GeneralizedTime syntax can include fraction-of-second details.
The syntax is:
	YYYYMMDDhhmm[ss[.s...]]{Z|+hhmm|-hhmm}
Example:
	19990609001326.34352Z

X.690 | ISO/IEC 8825-1 gives the extra restrictions for a DER-encoding, but
these still allow the fractional-seconds elements.

11.7 GeneralizedTime
11.7.1 The encoding shall terminate with a "Z"
11.7.2 The fractional-seconds elements, if present, shall omit all trailing
0's; if the elements correspond to 0, they shall be wholly omitted, and the
decimal point element also shall be omitted.
11.7.3 The decimal point element, if present, shall be the point option ".".
11.7.4 Midnight (GMT) shall be represented in the form: "YYYYMMDD000000Z"
where "YYYYMMDD" represents the day following the midnight in question.
11.7.5 Examples of valid representations
	"19920521000000Z"
	"19920622123421Z"
	"19920722132100.3Z"

RFC 2459 says Certificates and CRLs should use second resolution but there
is no good reason to apply this restriction to a timestamp standard.

=> Get rid of the "fractionOfSecond" field in TSTTime, the "genTime" field
already supports it (and to an arbitary number of decimal places).