Subject: RE: SCVP-01

From: Michael Zolotarev <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:59:28 +1000

>The SCVP model is exactly like the WAP model. The SCVP server is your 'WAP
gateway', that does all the
>stuff that needs to be done with the certificate. The 'simple small device'
simply passes the cert to the SCVP server and >asks it whether it can rely
on this cert for a particular application.

>Am I missing something?

In WAP, a device talks exclusively to the WAP gateway, not to anything else.
And this is the only communication link required to run the WAP-driven
application on the device. The WAP Gateway will execute the PKI, if
necessary. It has enough computation power to do it, itself and/or with a
help of other protocols. So the device would not need to communicate with a
SCVP or other PKI services servers. If used at all, the SCVP would be
employed by the Gateway, not by the device. So the question is whether the
gateway would find the protocol useful, or not.

>P.S. Didn't quite catch the Kansas thing.
When I was writing about the "evolution niche", I've recalled that they had
just banned teaching the evolution theory as a compulsory subject in schools
in the state of Kansas. Could it be just Australian papers making a buzz
over it?

Regards
Michael