Subject: Re: multinational directories

From: Keith Brady <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:21:05 +0100

"John" == John Saylor <[email-masked]> writes:

John> I have run up against similar issues with clients and my experience
John> has been that the directory should mimic the organization. Generally
John> DITs are given starting with the country, but this does not have to
John> be so. In the case you give, I would organize the tree like this:

John> o=GlobalCorp ou=Marketing c=US

John> o=GlobalCorp ou=Marketing c=UK

Or you may wish to use something like:

o=GlobalCorp,ou=Marketing,l=US
o=GlobalCorp,ou=Marketing,l=GB

which follows the (non-normative) suggestions for structure rules in X.521
Annex-B and has been included in a lot of directories I have come across.
Indeed the above layout is derived from a specific client's requirements.

You should watch the GB vs UK thing too.

cheers,

Keith
--
Keith Brady,                                    Phone: +353-(1)-6477300 
Baltimore Technologies,                           Fax: +353-(1)-6477499
61-62 Fitzwilliam Lane,                      <http://www.baltimore.com>
Dublin 2, Ireland

--
Company Standard Disclaimer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this message in error or
there are any problems please notify the originator immediately. The
unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is
strictly forbidden. This message and any attachments have been scanned for
viruses. Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for direct,
special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration of the
contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus
being passed on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Brady <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:44:00 +0100

"Stephen" == Stephen Kent <[email-masked]> writes:

Stephen> I find the locality attributes to be rather oddd in your
Stephen> examples. I didn't recall that X.521 endorsed the designation of
Stephen> a country as a "locale."

This is true but people typically ignore it. One of the specific client
cases used locale for the component countries of the UK (which, of course,
don't have 3166 country codes.) There was a lot of debate about whether to
use state-or-province name as the naming rule.

Given that the ITU's domain is itu.int, I would like to see how they
structure their DIT (or even X.400 addressing).

cheers,

Keith

[BTW: [email-masked] doesn't seem to work, service unavailable for some reason]