Subject: Correction regarding composition of ISO

From: "Robert W. Shirey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:46:47 -0400

Regarding your comment about ISO being a private organization: the
following is from <draft-shirey-security-glossary-00.txt>, to be announced
today:

 ISO
      (I) International Organization for Standardization, a voluntary,
      non-treaty organization with voting members that are designated
      standards bodies of participating nations and non-voting observer
      organizations. (Also see: ANSI, ITU-T.)

      (C) ISO and the IEC (the International Electrotechnical
      Commission) form the specialized system for worldwide
      standardization. (ISO is a class D member of ITU-T.) National
      bodies that are members of ISO or IEC participate in developing
      international standards through ISO and IEC technical committees
      that deal with particular fields of activity. (ANSI is the U.S.
      voting member of ISO.) Other international organizations,
      governmental and non-governmental, in liaison with ISO and IEC,
      also take part. In information technology, ISO and IEC have a
      joint technical committee, ISO/IEC JTC 1.

---

From: Ed Gerck <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 08:33:35 -0700

>       organizations. (Also see: ANSI, ITU-T.)

The draft could add that ISO is a Swiss non-profit private corporation,
with website at http://www.iso.ch

Cheers,

Ed Gerck