Subject: Re: Non-Repudiation

From: "Aram Perez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 16:29:56 -0700

Steve:

[snip]
>>I don't care whether MAC "fits the definition". I was arguing David Kemp's
>>point that "Symmetric cryptography involves shared secrets, and so cannot be
>>used to distinguish between parties in a communication." All I was stating
>>was that you can build a system that uses MAC (and hence symmetric
>>cryptography) to replace handwritten signatures and the system can provide
>>the ability to "distinguish between parties".
>
> I do care whether terms used in our discussions fit standard technical
> defintions apropos to the discussion.  Inaccurate use of words in these
> discussions wastes the time of everyone on the list.
>

You are right about the inaccurate use of words and I apologize for typing
too fast (and wasting anybody's time and/or confusing anyone). What I was
trying to state is that for the argument I was making, the definition does
not matter.

Regards,
Aram Perez