Subject: Progression of CMC

From: Warwick Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:57:55 -0700

It is now over 21 days since the 14-day WG Last Call on CMC was issued.

The only comments received were related to a thread initiated by Paul
Hoffman who suggested that we wait until there are 2 interoperable
conforming implementations before progressing CMC to Proposed Standard.
Paul's comment was motivated by concerns regarding the stability of the CMP
spec, in light of recent CMP interoperability trials.  While there was
general agreement that demonstrated interoperability is important, Paul's
concerns with CMP were largely refuted by CMP implementors.  

Since no-one contributing to that thread identified any problems with CMC
per se, since Paul's suggestion would imply us introducing a new procedural
requirement that goes beyond both usual IESG requirements and past PKIX WG
practice, and since the discussion on the thread did not represent any sort
of concensus that CMC should not progress, Steve and I believe that the WG
has finished its work on this specification.  Accordingly we shall now be
forwarding CMC to the IESG for standards track processing and IETF Last
Call.

Thanks to the editors for their extensive efforts in getting this
specification to this stage.

Warwick

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Warwick Ford, VeriSign, Inc., Tel (781)2456996 x225; Fax (781)2456006
[email-masked];  301 Edgewater Pl, Suite 210, Wakefield, MA 01880
---------------------------------------------------------------------