Subject: Re: Lets Standardize Time Representation Formats!!!: WAS Re: New TSTTime definition

From: "Aram Perez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 11:20:57 -0700

Peter Sylvester wrote:

[snip]
> I am the authority that defines the order, and not something else.
> I do NOT mean with respect to time. If at all it is MY time, my counter
> is my time, it is just a matter of convenience to use something
> that most people will understand. (I have not said that
> I don't need an indication of time in a time stamp, I was just taking
> about order).

In your own environment, you are correct. The problem arises when the order
has to be agreed upon by more than just one party.

[snip]
>
> I agree with you that a time structure that will not expire in the near
> future is important, what's wrong with an arbitrary long decimal
> subdivision of a second?

Good, then we're in violent agreement ;-). I personally prefer a
numerator/denominator approach such as (please excuse my ASN.1):

    Seconds ::= SEQUENCE {
        numerator INTEGER,
        denominator INTEGER OPTIONAL DEFAULT 100
    }

Having lots of fun,
Aram Perez

---

From: Tony Bartoletti <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 11:57:15 -0700

At 11:20 AM 8/3/99 -0700, Aram Perez wrote:

>I personally prefer a

For compactness, (idea courtesy of Denis Pinkas earlier post) why not
specify the denominator as a power of 2? (bit-shifts are fast.)

I can believe Todd's argument that high precisions/resolutions may
be/become important, but I wonder the utility of, say, denom = 119.

But I am a bit confused by the "numerator/denominator" notation.

E.g.:  If the denominator were 1000 (I like milliseconds;) then
would I need to represent 57.000 seconds as 57000/1000 ?

Just curious.

___tony___

Tony Bartoletti                                             LL
IOWA Center                                              LL LL
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory                LL LL LL
PO Box 808, L - 089                                   LL LL LL
Livermore, CA 94551-9900                              LL LL LLLLLLLL
phone: 925-422-3881   fax: 925-423-8081               LL LLLLLLLL
email: [email-masked]                                   LLLLLLLL