Subject: TYPO in Roadmap-04 re BERT

From: "GMT" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:38:56 -0700

FYI  All - BERT is not dead. The concluding statement in the PKI Roadmap is
incorrect here.

The BERT Token Specification is undergoing a redesign to allow it to support
virtually any kind of event representation. It also will have a predefined
set of event types including a Notarial Subtoken complete with a
ceremony-service marker. The token structure will represent a digital
harness with an encoded and protected manifest. This will allow the modular
plugging in of a number of optional token components to create an
interoperable policy centric token. - the ultimate timestamp so to speak -

Anyway, the new token structure will also have an applications and Network
transparent API to address the marking, validating, and verifying of
virtually all events in time and space. We feel this is the start of "agency
control" and conveyance models and that they will operate  by demonstrating
the intent of the user. These token data structures and the API for managing
them are very important to eCommerce and will be of more important to PKIX
as the evolution of the Internet and Global ECommerce continues.

The currently underway draft will not make this meeting but will be filed
shortly afterward and will be available for comment as such prior to the
next meeting.

If I can answer any questions in the mean time please feel free to contact
me or Michael directly

[email-masked]
[email-masked]

Todd Glassey

> Todd:
>
> Here's the BERT excerpt from the roadmap, published Oct 22...note the
> status at the end.
>
>    DOCUMENT TITLE: Basic Event Representation Token <draft-ietf-pkix-
>    bert1-01.txt>
>
>    DESCRIPTION: This document defines a finite method of representing a
>    discrete instant in time as a referable event. The Basic Event
>    Representation Token (BERT) is a light-weight binary token designed
>    for use in large numbers over short periods of time. The tokens
>    contain only a single instance of an event stamp and the trust
>    process is referenced against an external reference.
>
>    STATUS: Work has been discontinued.
>
>

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 14:02:39 -0400

Todd,

I'm working on another version.  I will wait to send in the next version of the
roadmap after you've submitted the new bert draft so I can get it right.  Sorry
for the confusion.

spt