Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-roadmap-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 07:01:27 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure PKIX Roadmap
	Author(s)	: A. Arsenault, S. Turner
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pkix-roadmap-04.txt
	Pages		: 40
	Date		: 22-Oct-99
	
This document provides an overview or 'roadmap' of the work done by
the IETF PKIX working group. It describes some of the terminology
used in the working group's documents, and the theory behind an
X.509-based Public Key Infrastructure and Privilege Management
Infrastructure (PMI). It identifies each document developed by the
PKIX working group, and describes the relationships among the various
documents. It also provides advice to would-be PKIX implementors
about some of the issues discussed at length during PKIX development,
in hopes of making it easier to build implementations that will
actually interoperate.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-roadmap-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pkix-roadmap-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-roadmap-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Ed Gerck <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:12:26 -0700

>         Filename        : draft-ietf-pkix-roadmap-04.txt

From the above draft:

   According to [SIMONETTI], the intent is that the digitalSignature bit
   should be set when what is desired is the ability to sign ephemeral
   transactions; e.g., for a single session authentication. These
   transactions are "ephemeral" in the sense that they are important
   only while they are in existence; after the session is terminated,
   there is no long-term record of the digital signature and its
   properties kept. When something is intended to be kept for some
   period of time, the nonRepudiation bit should be set.

The last phrase finds no support on what was discussed in this WG,
non-repudiation is not a non-ephemeral digital signature.

There are also other instances where the draft finds no support in
the WG discussions, even when it says it has:

    The discussion on the PKIX mailing list has centered on the
   digitalSignature bit and the nonRepudiation bit. The question has
   come down to something like: When support for the service of non-
   repudiation is desired, should both the digitalSignature and
   nonRepudiation bits be set, or just the nonRepudiation bit?

because this question was neither substantive nor representative
of the discussions -- unless "has come down to" means something
else.

Cheers,

Ed Gerck

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 13:53:14 -0400

Ed,

Thanks for taking the time to review the document and sorry it took me so long to get to this
message.  That section hasn't changed since the first draft (draft-ietf-pkix-roadmap-01.txt).
Clearly there's been more discussion on the list and it needs to be updated.  But, I think it
captured the WG's feelings from around mid '98 timeframe.

spt