Subject: Y2K, RFC 2459, . . .

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:06:43 EDT

Reading, w/out having kept up to date w/ISO issues . . . 
I've have been watching for, and not seeing comments addressing the 
requirement of our calendar to add an extra Leap Day after the year 2000.

As I recall, the calendar we have was designed to best keep accurate with the 
sun, and requires a leap day every 4 yrs.  This schedule, also, calls for and 
additional day every 1000 years.  The intent was to add it after the 
millennium.  As the calendar truly recognizes the year 2000 as the last year 
in this millennium, it seems that we were to add an additional day during the 
1st year of the next millennium, 2001.

Where is this issue being addressed?  Or, has this path been abandoned by all 
parties concerned.  (Initially, the entire Christian world . . . perhaps only 
the Catholic churches.)

---

From: Tony Bartoletti <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:31:32 -0700

I believe the rules for "leap year" adjustments are as follows:

  A leap-day is added every year divisible by 4,
    EXCEPT if year is divisible by 100 (no leap-day added)
	UNLESS year is divisible by 400 (ordinary leap-day added).

So, the year 2000 is an ordinary leap year, being divisible by 400.

___tony___

>parties concerned.  (Initially, the entire Christian world . . . perhaps only 

Tony Bartoletti                                             LL
IOWA Center                                              LL LL
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory                LL LL LL
PO Box 808, L - 089                                   LL LL LL
Livermore, CA 94551-9900                              LL LL LLLLLLLL
phone: 925-422-3881   fax: 925-423-8081               LL LLLLLLLL
email: [email-masked]                                   LLLLLLLL

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:41:23 -0700

Um, why is any of this relevant in the PKIX WG? I don't see any PKI issues 
here...

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium