Subject: Licensed Certification Authorities in USA

From: Sungjin Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 20:21:20 +0900

I know that there are "Licensed Certification Authorities" in Utah and
Washington in USA

 - Digital Signature Trust Company, Arcanvs, USERFirst, Verisign, IC
Certify

Is there another "Licensed Certification Authority" in USA?

  Sungjin Lee

  SignKorea (http://www.signkorea.com)
  Korea Securities Computer Corp.
  Seoul, South Korea.

---

From: "Bob Jueneman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 19:52:29 -0700

That's not quite true, David.  The number of US states that have passed some kind of 
digital signature legislation that enables the use of specifically licensed CA is probably 
closer to a dozen.  In addition, there are a somewhat larger number of foreign
countries that have passed similar laws.

Tom Smedinghoff, chair of the Science and Technology section of the
American Bar Association, runs an outstanding web site that tracks digital
signature legislation throughout the world, and I suggested to him today
that he consider tracking just who the licensed CAs re, and what states 
they are licensed in.

In addition to Utah and Washington, there are about a half dozen or more
states that have completed establishing regulations and may go live "real soon now".
These include Oregon, Michigan, North Carolina, Arizona, and Illinois(?).

I would expect that all of the currently licensed CAs would be certified in all of those
other states as quickly as the crank can be turned, since most provide
for some kind of reciprocity of recognition.

Check out Tom's former web site at www.mbc.com/ecommerce.html. 
His new site at Baker & McKensie seems to be still under construction.

Bob

>>> "Sweigert, David" <[email-masked]> 11/09/99 07:06AM >>>
Nearly each of the fifty states in the U.S. has some type of
digital signature law that allows for the provision of state
licensed C.A.s.  I belief your list is not comprehensive enough.

Dave Sweigert
General Dynamics
http://www.gd-cs.com 

-----Original Message-----
From: Sungjin Lee [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 1999 6:21 AM
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: Licensed Certification Authorities in USA

  Sungjin Lee

---

From: "Sweigert, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:40:47 -0500

You may find the attached of interest.

Dave Sweigert
General Dynamics
http://www.gd-cs.com

RE:
Release Date: November 10, 1999 

For immediate release  

The Federal Reserve Board today announced its approval of the proposal by
Bayerische Hypo- und Vereinsbank AG, Munich, Germany; Deutsche Bank AG,
Frankfurt, Germany; and Stichting Prioriteit ABN AMRO Holding, Stichting
Administratiekantoor ABN AMRO Holding, ABN AMRO Holding N.V., and ABN AMRO
Bank N.V., all of Amsterdam, The Netherlands; each to retain up to 12.5
percent of the voting interests of Identrus, LLC, New York, New York, and to
engage in acting as a certification authority in connection with financial
and nonfinancial transactions and other related activities.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Russ Savage [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 1999 9:52 AM
To: Sweigert, David; Sungjin Lee; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Licensed Certification Authorities in USA

Most states have some provision recognizing electronic signatures as
being the equivalent of a handwritten signature
(at least in some circumstance and form).

Some states may only define a form of use and say little about the CA.
Others, like Washington and Utah, license to add weight to the use.
But, as far as I know, no state requires CA licensing for
business to business use.

Most do define and manage electronic signature use involving state agencies.
That's basically just establishing and defining the minimum contract
requirements
for electronic signature interaction with those agencies.

If we haven't answered your question, email me off list and
I'll point you toward appropriate resources.

Russ Savage
Arizona's Office of the Secretary of State

-----Original Message-----
From: Sweigert, David [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 1999 7:06 AM
To: Sungjin Lee; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Licensed Certification Authorities in USA

Dave Sweigert
General Dynamics
http://www.gd-cs.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Sungjin Lee [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 1999 6:21 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Licensed Certification Authorities in USA

  Sungjin Lee