Subject: Re: QC Container-ID (card serial)

From: Anders Rundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 11:32:16 +0100

Stefan,
Comments in line

>Lets agree to the fact that a container ID shouldn't be part of the
>subjects name.

I agree to that.   It is more like the serial number of the certificate.

>So if you want to express something about where the private key is stored
>(which could be valuable information in some cases), then I suggest that
>you use the qcStatataments extension.

>You could define a statement saying "The private key associated with this
>certificate is protected within a Smart Card that meets requirements
>defined by FIPS xxxx ....."

I do not agree as statements of the kind you describe cannot easily be interpreted by
computers without a lot of secret agreements between RPs and CAs.

For that reason I suggest that this becomes an optional extension that does
not need "interpretation" .  Like certificate serial numbers.

<snip>

/Anders

---

From: Stefan Santesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 11:46:25 +0100

I don't agree.

I think your suggestion is to far away from the scope of this profile.

/Stefan

>not need "interpretation" .  Like certificate serial numbers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stefan Santesson                <[email-masked]>
Accurata AB                     http://www.accurata.se
Slagthuset                      Tel. +46-40 108588              
211 20  Malmö                   Fax. +46-40 150790              
Sweden                        Mobile +46-70 5247799

PGP fingerprint: 89BC 6C79 5B3D 591B 8547  1512 7D11 DBF4 528F 29A0
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Juergen Brauckmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 12:09:22 +0100

>not need "interpretation" .  Like certificate serial numbers.

Disregarding the question whether this is in the scope of the QC profile or
not, I would like to draw your attention to the ICCSN-extension that has
been defined in the German Sig Law Interop Spec:

iCCSN EXTENSION ::= {
     SYNTAX ICCSNSyntax
     IDENTIFIED BY id-sigi-at-iCCSN }

ICCSNSyntax ::= IMPLICIT OCTETSTRING (SIZE(15..23))

id-sigi-at-iCCSN OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { 1 3 36 8 3 6 }

Regards,
   Juergen
-- 
Juergen Brauckmann             Tel.:  040 / 8080 26 311
TC Trust Center for Security   Fax.:  040 / 766 29 577
in Data Networks GmbH 	    mailto:[email-masked]
Am Werder 1    		    http://www.trustcenter.de	
21073 Hamburg