Subject: RFC 2527 Revision: What's going on and how to subscribe

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 00:51:11 -0500

Reminder: The RFC 2527 revision mail list only allows postings to
subscribed members. See how to subscribe below.

The list archives are at http://www.raleigh.ibm.com/maillists/pkix4/

Current postings to the list for commentary are section 5 (Outline) with
significant changes proposed in Section 2 (was General provisions now
proposed General, Legal and Business), Section 3 (Authentication and
Identification), Section 4  (Certificate Life Cycle Operational
Requirements), Section 5 (CA facility and management controls).

RFC 2527 (Certificate Policy and Certification Practices Framework)
Revision.

Background:

The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) Request for Comments (RFC) 2527,
originally known as PKIX4 and also as ?The Chaconi-Ford Framework?, was
developed from two different projects funded by the U.S. and Canadian
governments. The IETF PKIX group iterated the draft for about a year, then
was approved as an informal RFC. The final version is dated April 1998 and
the formal RFC number was granted in March 1999.

At some point, the original draft was used as a starting document by many
individuals and organizations developing Certificate Policies (CPs) and
Certification Practices Statements (CPSs) and began to be used in a number
of different forums. Feedback has indicated that the document in its
present state does not meet all the needs from the different communities it
is supposed to help. As a result of this feedback an effort to revise this
document coalesced. The broad acceptance and interest garnered by this work
from the business, legal, government, and technical communities motivated
widening the editorial group to include members of several interest groups.

Game Plan

To bring forward to the IETF open process a revised draft promptly, while
keeping the instructional value and the completeness of the original work
intact, the editorial group decided to obtain comments from the various
communities of interest. These comments are gathered in open meetings, and
a coherent draft will be released on or about December 1999. Other venues
to bring forth comments and requirements are joining the public mail list
?see how to join below- or sending a note to the chair of the editorial
group ([email-masked]).

Editorial Committee:
|--------------------------+--------------------------->
|                          |                           |
| Name                     | Organization              |
|                          |                           |
|--------------------------+--------------------------->
  >-----------------------------|
  |                             |
  | Email                       |
  |                             |
  >-----------------------------|
|--------------------------+--------------------------->
|                          |                           |
| Warwick Ford             | VeriSign                  |
|                          |                           |
|--------------------------+--------------------------->
  >-----------------------------|
  |                             |
  | [email-masked]          |
  |                             |
  >-----------------------------|
|--------------------------+--------------------------->
|                          |                           |
| Santosh Chokhani         | CygnaCom                  |
|                          |                           |
|--------------------------+--------------------------->
  >-----------------------------|
  |                             |
  | [email-masked]       |
  |                             |
  >-----------------------------|
|--------------------------+--------------------------->
|                          |                           |
| Charles Merrill          | McCarter & English        |
|                          |                           |
|--------------------------+--------------------------->
  >-----------------------------|
  |                             |
  | [email-masked]     |
  |                             |
  >-----------------------------|
|--------------------------+--------------------------->
|                          |                           |
| Michael Power            | Government of Canada      |
|                          |                           |
|--------------------------+--------------------------->
  >-----------------------------|
  |                             |
  | [email-masked] |
  |                             |
  |                             |
  >-----------------------------|
|--------------------------+--------------------------->
|                          |                           |
| Juan Rodiriguez-Torrent  | IBM                       |
|                          |                           |
|--------------------------+--------------------------->
  >-----------------------------|
  |                             |
  | [email-masked]          |
  |                             |
  >-----------------------------|
|--------------------------+--------------------------->
|                          |                           |
| Randy V. Sabett          | SPYRUS, Inc.              |
|                          |                           |
|--------------------------+--------------------------->
  >-----------------------------|
  |                             |
  | [email-masked]          |
  |                             |
  >-----------------------------|

To join the PKIX4 mailing list, send a request to [email-masked]
with ?subscribe pkix4? in the body of the message or to
[email-masked] with only the word ?subscribe? in the body of
the message. In either case DO NOT include the quotation marks on your
request.

Juan Rodriguez-Torrent

Security Strategy and Business Development

Maildrop #042
150 Kettletown Rd.
Southbury,  CT  06488

Phone: 203 264-7806, Tie 549-9651
E-mail: [email-masked]

*
**
*** "The present never ages. Each moment is like a snowflake, unique,
unspoiled, unrepeatable and can be appreciated in its surprisingness." Gail
Sheeny
**
*