Subject: NIST key-based management ANSI X9.44

From: "Sweigert, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 21:30:38 -0500

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Federal Register: November 1, 1999 (Volume 64, Number 210)]
[Notices]
[Page 58808]
 From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr01no99-27]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE

National Institute of Standards and Technology

Announcement of a Workshop on Key Management Using Public Key
Cryptography

AGENCY: National Institute of Standards and Technology.

ACTION: Notice of Public Workshop.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY: The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
announces a workshop to examine public key-based management techniques
as specified in ANSI X9.42 (Agreement of Symmetric Keys Using Discrete
Logarithm Cryptography), ANSI X9.44 (Key Establishment Using Factoring-
Based Public Key Cryptography for the Financial Services Industry), and
ANSI X9.63 (Public Key Cryptography for the Financial Services
Industry: Key Agreement and Key Transport Using Elliptic Curve
Cryptography). The purpose of the workshop is to review the many
options and techniques contained in these standards and to discuss
other related issues.

DATES: The Key Management Standard (KMS) Workshop will be held on
Thursday, February 10 and Friday, February 11, 2000, from 9:00 a.m. to
5:00 p.m.

ADDRESSES: The KMS workshop will be held in the Administration Building
(Bldg. 101), National Institute of Standards and Technology,
Gaithersburg, Maryland. For planning purposes, advance registration is
encouraged. To register, please fax your name, address, telephone, fax
and
e-mail address, telephone, fax and
e-mail address to 301-948-1233 (Attn: KMS Workshop) by January 31,
2000. Registration questions should be addressed to Vickie Harris on
301-975-2920. Registration will also be available at the door, space
permitting. The workshop will be open to the public and is free of
charge.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: Further information may be obtained from the
KMS web site at http://www.nist.gov/kms or by contacting Morris
Dworkin, National Institute of Standards and Technology, 100 Bureau
Drive, Stop 8930, Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8930; telephone 301-975-2354;
Fax 301-948-1233, or email [email-masked].

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: This work effort is being initiated pursuant
to NIST's responsibilities under the computer Security Act of 1987, the
Information Technology Management Reform Act of 1996, Executive Order
13011, and OMB Circular A-130.
     The explosion in the use of electronic media to expedite commerce
in recent years has led to the need for well-established schemes that
can provide such services as data integrity and confidentiality.
Symmetric encryption schemes such as Triple DES, as defined in FIPS 46-
3, and the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), which is currently under
development, make an attractive choice for the provision of these
services. Systems using symmetric techniques are efficient, and their
security requirements are well understood. Furthermore, these schemes
have been or will be standardized to facilitate interoperability
between systems. However, the implementation of such schemes requires
the establishment of a shared secret key in advance. As the size of a
system or the number of entities using a system explodes, key
establishment can lead to a key management problem. An attractive
solution to this problem is to employ key establishment techniques that
employ public key cryptography.
     The Federal Government currently has no standard of keys for
unclassified applications using a public key cryptographic methods. A
number of techniques have been defined in voluntary consensus industry
standards; however, the proliferation of techniques has lead to a
concern that some techniques may not provide suitable security to meet
the needs of the Federal Government and may not promote
interoperability between agencies of the government. In anticipation of
the development of a standard for key establishment, a Federal Register
Notice was published by NIST on May 13, 1997, (Vol. 62, No. 92)
requesting comments from the public concerning the development of such
a standard, and concerning the availability, security, and adequacy of
existing standards for public key-based key agreement and exchange.
Comments were received recommending the use of RSA, Diffie-Hellman, MQV
and elliptic curves, and several comments recommended the adoption of
ANSI X9.42, X9.44 and X9.62.
     This workshop will discuss the security and interoperability
requirements of the Federal government, the options available in the
above referenced voluntary consensus standards to address those needs,
and the planned development of a Federal Information Processing
Standard (FIPS) that will address those needs by including the
appropriate techniques from the voluntary consensus standards
referenced above. As with other FIPS, it is NIST's intention that the
proposed standard would be published for public review and comment.

     Dated: October 22 1999.
Karen H. Brown,
Deputy Director, NIST.
[FR Doc. 99-28495 Filed 10-29-99; 8:45 am]