Subject: RE: Possible patent issue with UTCTime hack

From: "Kurn, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 16:46:37 -0800

Somehow, this reminds me of Sesamee street's advertisement...
  This program is brought to you by the number 7

Are you sure this isn't a hoax, or someone's get-rich scheme?

Patents on ideas everyone has had for hundreds of years seems rediculous.  I
remember as a child hearing my grandparents talk about the Blizzard of 99,
and they never had to say "1899".  Or, is "Spirit of 76".  That was
windowing.

David Kurn
Compaq Computer Corp.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Branchaud [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 1999 5:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Possible patent issue with UTCTime hack

It seems that McDonnell Douglas has patented the date "windowing" that is
used to get around Y2K problems:

	http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1009-200-1426450.html

Since PKIX requires windowing UTCTime in certs, this may violate the patent
(note: I don't know anything about anything, especially patents).

		Marc

---

From: Scott Cadzow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 16:13:43 -0000

If it is fundemental it may not be enforcable as a patent. Consider the
wheel.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phillip M Hallam-Baker [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 05 November 1999 17:11
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Possible patent issue with UTCTime hack

> >used to get around Y2K problems:

A thought just occurred to me. The company that now "owns" this hack is
contacting companies systematically asserting the technique to be so
fundamental, so obvious that they MUST be using it...

	Phill