Subject: Re: Update of the QC personalData issue

From: "Bob Jueneman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 15:51:33 -0700

Ironically, the subjectAltNames are MORE likely to be globally unique
than the DN.

Because the directory that the DN is likely to be drawn from or stored into
is not likely to be globally replicated and synchronized, it is entirely 
likely that there will be two end-entities with the same names in two different
directories, unless a randomized disambiguator is used that is large enough as to 
make a collision very unlikely.

On the other hand, most of the subjectAltNames are likely to include 
an e-mail address, a full organizational or geopolitical X.500 name, etc.,
and so those in all likelihood WILL be unique.

But not guaranteed, of course.

Bob

>>> Marc Branchaud <[email-masked]> 11/11/99 03:16PM >>>

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Stefan Santesson wrote:
> 
> The problem with subjectAltName extension though is that included names
> have to be unique.

Just so I'm sure, this is a QC-specific requirement, right?  I don't
recall anything about subjectAltName per se that mandates unique altNames.

		Marc