Subject: US relaxed export policy - When/IF and how?

From: Anders Rundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 15:47:59 +0100

Hi all crypto-nerds :-)

We who live in Europe are used to live with pretty "crummy" solutions for achieving
secure Internet-banking etc.   It is costly and inconvenient though!

Rumors says that the US government is changing the export regulations so my question is simply:

How long will we in Europe have to wait for strong cryptography in US-manufactured Browsers,
Operating systems, Certificates and Web-servers?

Regards
Anders Rundgren
Internet e-commerce Architect

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:24:27 -0500

>>>>> "Anders" == Anders Rundgren <[email-masked]> writes:

 Anders> Hi all crypto-nerds :-) We who live in Europe are used to
 Anders> live with pretty "crummy" solutions for achieving secure
 Anders> Internet-banking etc.  It is costly and inconvenient though!

 Anders> Rumors says that the US government is changing the export
 Anders> regulations so my question is simply:

 Anders> How long will we in Europe have to wait for strong
 Anders> cryptography in US-manufactured Browsers, Operating systems,
 Anders> Certificates and Web-servers?

We should know more by the end of the year.

Then again, the existing regulations are already essentially open for
the financial industry, so if the application is, say, secure banking, 
there shouldn't be an issue right now.

	paul