Subject: Re: Certifiedtime.com

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 08:13:16 -0800

note that the AADSS radius case with time-stamp/nonce is a reply-attack scenario
and so it doesn't really require real-time.

this particular is more akin to virtual time work on log merge. when i was doing
cluster distributed lock manager work ... misc. ref:

http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/96.html#15
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13

i had also worked out the process for doing cache-to-cache buffer copies w/o
having to do the disk write first. this made several of the database  people
uneasy since various failure mode recovery scenarios required doing log merging
between the different nodes. in part because it was a closed system, "virtual"
time providing relative ordering of the entries for the same record in different
logs was sufficient (the distributed database & filesystems guys have recently
picked up renewed interest in this area).

reliable "real" time becomes an issue when trying to prove relative ordering in
an open infrastructure (possibly even involving real world, non-computerized
events) as opposed to "virtual" time which can be used in closed systems (like
large distributed cluster databases & filesystems ... something even as simple
as a version #).

There are numerous financial and contractual events that would benefit from
being able to show real-world ordering.