Subject: PKIX: employee/member/customer/org number attributes

From: "Manger, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:41:46 +1100

Proposed new attributes:
Note: the serialNumber attribute syntax is PrintableString, so these
"numbers" don't have to consist solely of numeric digits.

The following attributes are only meaningful in the context of an
organization.  It follows that the directory name of an entry with one or
more of these attributes shall be associated with an OrganizationName
attribute.

x.y.1
The Organization Person Number attribute specifies an identifier for an
employee of an organization.  Within the context of a given organization, an
Org Person Number shall unambiguously identify an employee and will usually
be unique, i.e. an employee will usually have only one Org Person Number for
a given organization.

orgPersonNumber ATTRIBUTE ::= { SUBTYPE OF serialNumber ...}

x.y.2
The Member Number attribute specifies an identifier for a member of an
organization.  Within the context of a given organization, a Member Number
shall unambiguously identify a member and will usually be unique, i.e. a
member will usually have only one Member Number for a given organization.

memberNumber ATTRIBUTE ::= { SUBTYPE OF serialNumber ...}

x.y.3
The Customer Number attributes specifies an identifier for a customer of an
organization.  Within the context of a given organization, a Customer Number
shall unambiguously identify a customer.  A customer may have more than one
Customer Number for a given organization.

customerNumber ATTRIBUTE ::= { SUBTYPE OF serialNumber ...}

x.z.1
The Organization Number attribute specifies an identifier for an
organization.  An Org Number shall unambiguously identify an organization
within the context of a given jurisdiction.  There may be a small number of
organization numbering schemes within a given jurisdiction.  Each Org Number
shall include a prefix unambiguously identifying the scheme within a given
jurisdiction.  An Org Number from a given scheme will often be unique (i.e.
the only such number the organization has), but not always, due to company
merges etc.

The jurisdiction within which a given Org Number is unambiguous is specified
by any CountryName  and StateOrProvinceName attributes associated with the
Org Number, e.g. in superior components of a DN.

orgNumber ATTRIBUTE ::= { SUBTYPE OF serialNumber ...}

[may be worth having separate attributes for globally unambiguous org
numbers (e.g. DUNS number) and/or org numbers that are unambiguous within a
country (e.g. Australian Company Number, ACN)]