Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-generalname-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 06:59:23 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: A String Representation of General Name
	Author(s)	: A. Kapoor, R. Tschalar
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pkix-generalname-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 16-Nov-99
	
The PKIX working group has created the GeneralName [RFC2459] to support
more name types than just the distinguished name specified by OSI.
GeneralName is encoded in ASN.1.  When a GeneralName is communicated
not using a ASN.1 encoded protocol (e.g., in a configuration file), there is a need to have a string representation of GeneralName.  This document specifies a string format for representing names, which is designed to give a clean representation of commonly used names, whilst being able to represent any GeneralName.  This specification also recognizes that GeneralName needs to be communicated to humans, in which case the encoding has to be user friendly for display purposes, for e.g. on a business card or in an email message.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-generalname-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pkix-generalname-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-generalname-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.