Subject: Where to put additional information in certificate?

From: "Kain, Michael T" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:11:03 -0500

I'm in a dilemma.  I'm trying to define multiple websites
for a machine (multiple ports), each with its own certificate.  
Each certificate has to have the same name, but I have to 
store the certificate in a unique container (name).  I'm looking for an OID
to put "alternate" information into the certificate request, so that 
the Certificate Authority will pass through into the resultant 
certificate.

From the comments in WinCrypt.h (Microsoft) I have:

#define szOID_DN_QUALIFIER                  "2.5.4.46"

// The DN Qualifier attribute type specifies disambiguating information to
add
// to the relative distinguished name of an entry. It is intended to be used
// for entries held in multiple DSAs which would otherwise have the same
name,
// and that its value be the same in a given DSA for all entries to which
// the information has been added.

I haven't read through RFC 2459 for how it feels about this field
(or the new draft.part01 which I received)...  Is this field right, or does
another one make more sense?

Mike Kain
Open Networking Group, Networking & I/O Channels
Unisys Corporation, Malvern, PA [[email-masked]]

Adjunct Professor, Math & Computer Science Department
Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA [[email-masked]]