Subject: OID value for DES and DES3 keys

From: [email-masked] (Terry Hayes)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 18:52:23 -0800

I'm looking for a standard OBJECT IDENTIFIER value that represents a DES
or DES3 (triple-DES) key value.  This value would be used in a data
structure that contains the key value, such as the PKCS-8
PrivateKeyInfo, or the PKCS-12 SecretBag.   That is, I'm looking for the
ASN.1 equivalent of the PKCS-11 CKK_DES or CKK_DES3 key-type values.

One possible way to identify a DES key is to use the OID for one of the
DES encryption algorithms.  This method was used for RSA keys, which
identify both the key values, and the basic RSA encryption operations
with the same identifier.

Does anyone know of previously defined OID values for DES keys, or know
of any previous examples that use a DES algorithm OID to identify the
key?

Thanks,

Terry Hayes
[email-masked]

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 13:47:41 -0500

The following DES OIDs were assigned by the OSI Implementor's Working 
Group, Security Special Interest Group:

     algorithm OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
        { iso(1) identified-organization(3) oiw(14) secsig(3)
              algorithm(2) }

DES-ECB:  { algorithm 6 }

DES-CBC:  { algorithm 7 }; Carries an IV as a parameter.

DES-OFB:  { algorithm 8 }; carries an FBParameter as a parameter.

    FBParameter ::= SEQUENCE {
       iv                IV,
       numberOfBits      NumberOfBits }

    IV ::= OCTET STRING
    NumberOfBits ::= INTEGER     -- number of feedback bits (1-64)

DES-CFB:  { algorithm 9 }; carries an FBParameter as a parameter.

DES-MAC:  { algorithm 10 }; carries an INTEGER parameter, the
length of the MAC (constrained by comment to 16, 24, 32, 40, 48 or
64 bits).

DES-EDE:  { algorithm 17 }; Triple DES in ECB mode, per ANSI X9.17.