Subject: AC profile: targeting extension

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:47:29 +0000

Hi All,

The ISO folks added a targeting extension into the X.509 PDAM
based on the one already defined in the AC profile draft.
Unfortunately they used a different syntax, but fortunately, 
since everyone working with X.509 is very reasonable, we 
managed to come up with a syntax that keeps all the
document editors happy. So, the question is whether anyone
else has a problem with the aligned solution? (The ASN.1 
is at the end of this message).

Notes: 
- the new syntax is backwards compatible with the -01 
  AC profile draft version
- I'll also add text that says not to use the TargetCert
  field, since I at least need to think this through before
  wanting to use it (this is the same as in the -02 draft)
- the extension OID will then be the ISO one, not the 
  IETF one (i.e. id-ce-targetInformation from the X.509 DAM)
- there's an ISO editing meeting on this week, so its possible
  that some tags or whatever might still change

Regards,
Stephen.

  Targets ::= SEQUENCE OF Target
 
  Target  ::= CHOICE {
     targetName        [0] GeneralName,
     targetGroup       [1] GeneralName,
     targetCert        [2] TargetCert
  }
 
  TargetCert  ::= SEQUENCE {
     targetCertificate       IssuerSerial,
     targetName              GeneralName OPTIONAL,
     certDigestInfo          ObjectDigestInfo OPTIONAL
  }

-- 
____________________________________________________________
Stephen Farrell         				   
Baltimore Technologies,   tel: (direct line) +353 1 647 7406
61 Fitzwilliam Lane,                    fax: +353 1 647 7499
Dublin 2.                mailto:[email-masked]
Ireland                             http://www.baltimore.com