Subject: Certificate Extension Fields For "a resident registration number"

From: Sungjin Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 00:32:57 +0900

I want to insert the hash value of "a resident registration number" into X.509 Certificate.

a resident registration number" is a unique id like drive license no.

What field can I use for the hash value ?

Sungjin Lee

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 19:18:45 -0500

Sungjin:

There is more than one possible answer.  The best solution would depend on 
the application that needs access to the hash value and the hooks that are 
available in the application environment.

Some choices for carrying the the hash value are (in no particular order):
  - private extension;
  - subject alternative name of the directory name form could
     include a serial number attribute; and
  - subject alternative name of the other name form.

If none of these work in your application environment, then the subject 
unique identifier could be used.  RFC 2459 says that this field SHOULD NOT 
be used by certificate authorities, so this should be a last resort.

Russ