Subject: Re: SubjectAltName verification

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 09:49:14 +0200 (MET DST)

> 
> A certificate must contain a name that may be carried in the DN
> field or the SubjectAltName extension. That name must be unique and
> is assigned by the CA. The name, wherever it is placed, must be
> verified (well with the exception of pseudonyms that can only be
> verified not to collide) with some *reasonable* degree of
> verification.
> 
'Unique' does seem the right word to me. You can have more than one
'name' for the same object, like a pseudonym and a 'real' name.

Are you talking about 'non-ambigous names'?

---

From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 10:22:05 +0200

> Are you talking about 'non-ambigous names'?

No. Unique means that a name, once given to one entity, must not be
given to a different entity (in short not issued twice to two
different entities).

Denis