Subject: TSA: Multiple questions

From: "Serafim Gomes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 11:44:44 +0100

<color><param>0100,0100,0100</param>Hi,

I'm making a Tsa (client and server), and i have some questions.

Forgive my english, and my questions( if they are "stupid").

Q1: Where can I find information on Policy. Where are the OID of the 
know policy? Can I make some policy, of my own?

Q1.1: I have look for imformation about the OID, where can I find the 
repository of OIDs

Q2: An OPTIONAL field can be NULL right? 

</color><FontFamily><param>courier</param><smaller>TimeStampReq ::= SEQUENCE  {

     version                      Integer  { v1(<color><param>C200,0000,0000</param>1</color>) },

     messageImprint               MessageImprint,

       --a hash algorithm OID and the hash value of the data to be

       --time stamped

     reqPolicy                PolicyInformation      OPTIONAL,

     nonce                    Integer                OPTIONAL,

     certReq                  BOOLEAN                DEFAULT FALSE,

     extensions               [<color><param>C200,0000,0000</param>0</color>] Extensions         OPTIONAL

}

<FontFamily><param>Fixedsys</param><bigger>And in this case the extensions? Why the brackets? ([0]) doesn't the 
brackets mean OPTIONAL?

Q3: How can i test this with, some others servers? does anyone have 
one to test? test iteoperability? 

I have a beta version of a client and sever.

Best Regards,

	Serafim Gomes

	[email-masked]

---

From: "Christopher Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 13:28:15 +0100

Serafim,

repository of OIDs

Try www.alvestrand.no/objectid/top.html

> Q2: An OPTIONAL field can be NULL right?

An optional field could be zero if zero is an appropriate value but you
indicate that an optional field is not used by leaving it out entirely, so
for the structure below you would indicate that there are no extensions by
simply not setting anything at all for the extensions, rather than setting
the field to NULL.

> TimeStampReq ::= SEQUENCE {
> version Integer { v1(1) },
> extensions [0] Extensions OPTIONAL
> }
>
> And in this case the extensions? Why the brackets? ([0]) doesn't the
brackets mean OPTIONAL?

The value 0 in the square brackets is the tag applied to the field.  Recall
that an ASN.1 object is encoded TLV (type, length, value).  In this case, 0
is the type arbitrarily assigned to the Extensions field.  Its meaning is
obtained from its context.  The brackets do not mean that the field is
optional.

Christopher Williams

Software engineer, NetLexis Ltd.
Solutions for secure electronic commerce
http://www.netlexis.com