Subject: RE: SubjectAltName verification

From: "Bob Jueneman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 22:52:41 -0600

I don't believe so, Warwick, because of the difficulties inherent in referring to a CP and CPS in a non-machine readable fashion when trying to evaluate the credibility of a certificate.

That's why we include an explicit encoding of a certificate class (from 0 to 255, with a rather rich set of definitions) in the Novell Security Attributes in all of the certificate we create.

Cf. http://developer.novell.com/repository/attributes/certattrs_v10.htm. 

Bob

>>> Warwick Ford <[email-masked]> 05/18/00 07:54AM >>>
Denis:

It seems to me that classes constitute the classic example of different
certificate policies.  Don't we have all the mechanism we need?

Warwick

---

From: "Peter Lipp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 18:55:30 +0200

> That's why we include an explicit encoding of a certificate class
> (from 0 to 255, with a rather rich set of definitions) in the
> Novell Security Attributes in all of the certificate we create.

Honestly, isn't that a shortcut for a possible policy-Id like
Novell.sercurtityAttributes.policies.0 -
Novell.sercurtityAttributes.policies.255?

Peter