Subject: RE: SubjectAltName verification

From: Warwick Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 06:54:59 -0700

Denis:

It seems to me that classes constitute the classic example of different
certificate policies.  Don't we have all the mechanism we need?

Warwick

---

From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 16:21:16 +0200

Warwick,

Certificate policies may certainly contain information that relates
to the quality of checking of the various fields of the certificate.
However, using a single CP in the CP field (as this is RECOMMENDED
by RFC 2459) does not easily allow to compare the quality of the
checking performed by two different CAS. If we (or someone else)
were defining an OID, e.g. for "Class 32", that would come in
addition to another OID specific to the CA, this would be better.

So we might need a small text change to solve the case.

Denis

Extract from RFC 2459:

   To promote interoperability, this profile RECOMMENDS that policy
   information terms consist of only an OID.  Where an OID alone is
   insufficient, this profile strongly recommends that use of
qualifiers
   be limited to those identified in this section.