Subject: RFC 2797 on Certificate Management Messages over CMS

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 15:02:08 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2797

        Title:	    Certificate Management Messages over CMS
        Author(s):  M. Myers, X. Liu, J. Schaad, J. Weinstein
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       April 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      47
        Characters: 103357
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2797.txt

This document defines a Certificate Management protocol using CMS
(CMC).  This protocol addresses two immediate needs within the
Internet PKI community:

1. The need for an interface to public key certification products and
   services based on [CMS] and [PKCS10], and

2. The need in [SMIMEV3] for a certificate enrollment protocol for
   DSA-signed certificates with Diffie-Hellman public keys.

A small number of additional services are defined to supplement the
core certificate request service.
 
Throughout this specification the term CMS is used to refer to both
[CMS] and [PKCS7].  For both signedData and envelopedData, CMS is a
superset of the PKCS7. In general, the use of PKCS7 in this document
is aligned to the Cryptographic Message Syntax [CMS] that provides a
superset of the PKCS7 syntax. The term CMC refers to this
specification.

This document is a product of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509)
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited. 

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.