Subject: algorithm OID esoterica

From: Ari Kermaier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 22:21:53 -0400

This may not be of interest to many people, but are there any 
legitimate/official/semi-real OIDs defined for the Blowfish symmetric 
cipher algorithm and the Null cipher (for completeness' sake)?

Ari Kermaier

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:27:47 (NZST)

>cipher algorithm and the Null cipher (for completeness' sake)?

draft-schneier-blowfish-00.txt has:

5. ASN.1 structures and Object Identifiers

Blowfish has the following ASN.1 definitions:

  blowfishECB ALGORITHM PARAMETER NULL ::=
    {iso(1) org(3) dod(6) internet(1) private(4) enterprise(1)
     dds(3029) algorithm(1) symmetric-encryption(1) 1}
  blowfishCBC ALGORITHM PARAMETER CBCParameter ::=
    {iso(1) org(3) dod(6) internet(1) private(4) enterprise(1)
     dds(3029) algorithm(1) symmetric-encryption(1) 2}
  blowfishCFB ALGORITHM PARAMETER FBParameter ::=
    {iso(1) org(3) dod(6) internet(1) private(4) enterprise(1)
     dds(3029) algorithm(1) symmetric-encryption(1) 3}
  blowfishOFB ALGORITHM PARAMETER FBParameter ::=
    {iso(1) org(3) dod(6) internet(1) private(4) enterprise(1)
     dds(3029) algorithm(1) symmetric-encryption(1) 4}

The parameters are the standard OIW parameters for block cipher
chaining modes [OIW] and are reproduced below:

    CBCParameter ::= IV

    FBParameter ::= SEQUENCE {
        iv IV,
        numberOfBits NumberOfBits
        }

    IV ::= OCTET STRING  -- 8 octets

    NumberOfBits ::= INTEGER

When used with Blowfish, NumberOfBits should always be 64.

Peter.