Subject: Re: Why is Java still crypto-crippled?

From: Sharon Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:09:53 -0700 (PDT)

Anders,

There are on-going works to make strong crypto into JDK.

Sun's JCE (Java Cryptography Extension) 1.2.1 is exportable.
It is currently in Beta, and its global distribution has
restrictions on available crypto strength.

Sun has filed a new JCE export application to remove the
crypto restrictions in JCE global distribution. Once that
application gets approved by the U.S. government, we'll have 
a single JCE distribution for both domestic and global users.

Then we plan to move JCE into JDK (note: JCE was initially
introduced as a Java 2 extension due to the U.S export
regulations). This is depend on the Java Community Process.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks,
Sharon 

------------- Begin Forwarded Message ------------- 
From: "Anders Rundgren" <[email-masked]>
To: "PKIX-List" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Why is Java still crypto-crippled?
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 14:44:25 +0200
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-MIME-Autoconverted: from quoted-printable to 8bit by ns.secondary.com id 
EAA13351
List-Archive: http://www.imc.org/ietf-pkix/mail-archive/
List-ID: <ietf-pkix.imc.org>
List-Unsubscribe: mailto:[email-masked]?body=unsubscribe

I have since quite a while been using W2K (Bill, it IS great!)  using strong 
crypto
although I live in Europe.   But why can't I get that for JDK?  Without special 
permissions.

This is a *serious* threat to Java to be dependent on third-party tools when
the "other guy" has it all built-in!

Anders

Not religious about Java but likes it anyway.

------------- End Forwarded Message -------------