Subject: sixth revision of the draft 4th edition of X.509 is on the server

From: "Hoyt L. Kesterson II" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 01:11:27 -0700

hello

some of you observant readers out there have found a few more 
problems in the text. we have corrected them.

a sixth revision of the draft 4th edition of x509 is on the directory 
server in both pdf and office 98 formats. the urls are:

ftp://ftp.bull.com/pub/OSIdirectory/4thEditionTexts/X.509_4thEditionDraftV6.doc

ftp://ftp.bull.com/pub/OSIdirectory/4thEditionTexts/X.509_4thEditionDraftV6.pdf

this revision (v6) contains corrections in three areas:

1) Subject versus holder

In the attribute certificate match matching rule (asn.1 and descriptive
text), the terminology needs to be updated to reflect the technical
agreement that attribute certificates are issued to holders, not to
subjects.

In clause 17.3.2, and in Annex A in the attribute certificate framework
module, in the AttributeCertificateAssertion ASN.1 production:

replace "subject" with "holder" and replace "subjectName" with "holderName"

In clause 17.3.2 in the 2nd bullet following the ASN.1, replace "subjectName"
with "holderName".

2) Optional authority key id

The authority key identifier component in the certificate list 
assertion syntax, should be optional.

In clause 11.3.6 and in the certificate extensions module of Annex A, in the
CertificateListAssertion ASN.1 production;

replace:
	authorityKeyIdentifier	[3]  AuthorityKeyIdentifier}

with:
	authorityKeyIdentifier	[3]  AuthorityKeyIdentifier  OPTIONAL }

3) Optional serial number

The syntax of the attribute certificate exact matching rule should be 
aligned to that of the attribute certificate issuer.

In clause 17.3.1 and in the attribute certificate framework module of Annex
A, in the AttributeCertificateExactAssertion ASN.1 production:

replace
	serialNumber	CertificateSerialNumber,

with
	serialNumber	CertificateSerialNumber  OPTIONAL,

The ISO ballot on this text will close 28 November. The document will 
then be formally published and available for purchase shortly after 
that date. I will remove the copy of this document from the server at 
that time.

keep those cards and letters coming

    hoyt