Subject: OCSP Common Profiles

From: Simon Tardell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 18:14:40 +0200

All,

In the interest of not delaying the standardization of OCSP, I'd like to
suggest that any extensions to OCSP that are not absolutely core be moved to
a separate RFC. A lot of these are interesting in _some contexts_. These
contexts will be common enough to warrant standardizations, but should still
not be part of the core protocol. Hence, I suggest that we spin off a "OCSP
Common Profiles" that would enumerate a number of specializations of the
protocol (such as the "validAt (orBetween...)" we're just discussing). IMHO,
the "archive cutoff" extension from RFC2560 also belongs to this group. The
semantics of that new document would be "if you want to express this using
OCSP, do it this way".

Simon.

Simon Tardell, Software Architect, iD2 Technologies
voice +46 8 7755225, fax +46 8 7267912, cell +46 70 3198319
[email-masked], http://www.iD2tech.com
Securing the Internet economy

---

From: Ambarish Malpani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 09:45:34 -0700

I would like to agree, that if there is nothing fundamentally
broken with OCSP, we proceed with OCSP (with some clarifications)
along the standards process.

If the main driving force to redo OCSP is to allow for remote
path processing, it might be faster and cleaner to do it with
SCVP.

From the mails I have seen on this list, it is unclear that there
is overwhelming support to making a bunch of changes to OCSP.

Comments?

Regards,
Ambarish

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Ambarish Malpani
Architect                                                650.567.5457
ValiCert, Inc.                                  [email-masked]
339 N. Bernardo Ave.                          http://www.valicert.com
Mountain View, CA 94043

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Simon Tardell [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2000 9:15 AM
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: OCSP Common Profiles
> 
> 
> All,
>

---

From: Michael Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 08:52:33 -0700

Ambarish,

Following direction from the chairs in Pittsburg, we should defer calling
for consensus until all proposals are on the table.  This should occur by
Sept. 15.  Even then, we need to give folks a reasonable interval to
evaluate alternatives before calling for consensus.

Mike

> From: Ambarish Malpani [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2000 9:46 AM
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: RE: OCSP Common Profiles
> 
> 
>