Subject: Part1 last call comments

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 08:29:14 -0800

1.  Section 4.2.2.2 - Do you consider the reference to PKIX TSA to be
nomative or not?  I would not recommend this for progression of the part1
draft.

2.  Section 4.2.2.2 - "the Time STamp" should be "the Time Stamp"

3.  Section 4.2.2.2 - Recommend moving the defintion of id-ad-caRepository
to implicit ASN.1 module since that is where accessLocation is located.

4. Section 3.3 - Minor point,  in paragraph 4 - This should be "until all
existing CRLs expires" rather than "until the next periodic CRL update".  A
CRL may be valid for more than one issue period (i.e. issue every 12 hours,
expire after 24 hours).

5.  ASN Module A.1:  Do not have a new module OID for this.

6.  A.1:
                   X520SerialNumber        PrintableString (SIZE
(1..ub-serial-number))
      replace with
                   X520SerialNumber        ::= PrintableString (SIZE
(1..ub-serial-number))

7. Section A.1
                   id-domainComponent      AttributeType ::=
id-domainComponent
     replace with
                   id-domainComponent      AttributeType ::=
 id-domainComponent }

8.  ASN Module A.2:  Do not have a new module OID for this.

9.  Section A.2
                anyPolicy OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {id-ce-certificate-policies
0}
      replace with
                anyPolicy OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {id-ce-certificatePolicies
0}
      (or fix the previous line)

----------------   Algorithm Draft

ASN Module:
Fix:
   PKIX1Algorithms88 { tbd }

Replace
            cofactor  INTEGER  OPTIONAL,         -- The integer h = #E(Fq)/n
With
            cofactor  INTEGER  OPTIONAL          -- The integer h = #E(Fq)/n

------------------ Random

part1-algs.asn(3) : warning XXXXX: Module PKIX1Algorithms88 does not have an
OID assigned to it

 --- single name would be nice but not necessary.  In the case of pkcs-9
however there should be a harmonization plan.

rfc2630.asn(254) : warning XXXXX: Arc naming collision between x9algorithm
and x9cm
	Conflicts with what's in Algorithms draft
rfc2630.asn(262) : warning XXXXX: Oid value assigned to multiple symbols:
'dh-public-number' and 'dhpublicnumber'
	Conflicts with what's in Algorithms draft
rfc2634.asn(204) : warning XXXXX: Arc naming collision between pkcs-9 and
pkcs9
	Conflicts with what's in Part1 A.1

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:59:02 -0800

The latter set of Jim's comments should cause some alarm on this 
list. It appears that the ASN.1 modules have not been checked, except 
by Jim Schaad.

It isn't appropriate to pass this on to IETF last call until we have 
at least one (and hopefully two) people have verified on the list 
that each of the modules have passed through their ASN.1 verifiers 
with no errors. It would be nice if anyone verifying the modules 
could list the warnings that their parsers dump out.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium