Subject: RE: Save Big on Cleaning Equipment!

From: Shashi Kiran <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 11:52:01 -0800

The list moderator:

Can't we stop spam on this mailing list, by applying filters? Or is this
paid for by advertisers or something? I'm sure a lot of us would hate to be
bothered by mails such as these.

Best regards,

Shashi Kiran
Product Manager
Nortel Networks

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 2:05 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Save Big on Cleaning Equipment!

Visit www.CleanFreak.com, the site that provides solutions for 
cleaning and janitorial professionals. Our volume purchasing 
allows you to save 20% to 48% on high quality janitorial equipment 
and supplies. All items are in stock. Our fast 24 hour order 
processing insures you'll shop with us again!

<a href="http://www.cleanfreak.com">www.CleanFreak.com </a> 

Note: If this link is not highlighted in your browser please type 
in http://www.CleanFreak.com to view our site. Thank you.

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 13:34:08 -0800

At 11:52 AM -0800 2/6/01, Shashi Kiran wrote:
>Can't we stop spam on this mailing list, by applying filters?

Yes, at the cost of not allowing cross-posting from other IETF lists 
and of delaying postings from people who send mail from more than one 
address. So far, the WG chairs have chosen not to make that 
restriction. As list administrator, I act on their wishes.

>Or is this
>paid for by advertisers or something?

That is a very insulting accusation. IMC runs the mailing list for 
this and dozens of other IETF working groups and BOFs as a community 
service. We do not ask or accept payment for it. And we do not 
release the contents of the lists to anyone other than the WG chairs 
(although I rarely give the lists to them either).

>  I'm sure a lot of us would hate to be

Or threads such as this. If you want to ask a question of the mailing 
list administrator or the WG chair, it is best to send a message 
directly to them instead of to the whole mailing list. I have 
responded here mostly because of the disgusting accusation you made.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium