Subject: OCSP v1 - request for clarification of request

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:10:10 +0000

Hi all,

We'd be grateful for clarification of an ambiguity in the June 1999 OCSP 
v1 spec.

Section 4.1.1 includes the following:

   CertID          ::=     SEQUENCE {
       hashAlgorithm       AlgorithmIdentifier,
       issuerNameHash      OCTET STRING, -- Hash of Issuer's DN
       issuerKeyHash       OCTET STRING, -- Hash of Issuers public key
       serialNumber        CertificateSerialNumber }

   issuerNameHash is the hash of the Issuer's distinguished name. The
   hash shall be calculated over the DER encoding of the issuer's name
   field in the certificate being checked. issuerKeyHash is the hash of
   the Issuer's public key. The hash shall be calculated over the value
   (excluding tag and length) of the subject public key field in the
   issuer's certificate. The hash algorithm used for both these hashes,
   is identified in hashAlgorithm. serialNumber is the serial number of
   the certificate for which status is being requested.

The question is a simple one:  does the 'excluding tag and length' apply 
only to the issuerKeyHash, or does it apply also to the issuerNameHash?

I suggest this paragraph be re-phrased in future versions to clarify this 
point.

Many thanks in advance,

Jonathan
-----------------------
[email-masked]
www.symbian.com

*******************************************************************************************************************
Symbian Limited (Co.No.3173352) Registered Office: Sentinel House, 16 Harcourt Street, London, W1H 4AD, UK.
This message is intended only for use by the named addressee and may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error please notify [email-masked] and delete the message and any attachments accompanying it immediately. Symbian does not accept liability for any corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses occuring to this message in transit or for any message sent by its employees which is not in compliance with Symbian corporate policy.
*******************************************************************************************************************

---

From: Ambarish Malpani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:47:02 -0800

Hi Jonathan,
    It only applies to the issuerKeyHash. The text will be rephrased before
we become a
draft standard.
 
Regards,
Ambarish

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Ambarish Malpani
Architect                                                650.567.5457
ValiCert, Inc.                                  [email-masked]
339 N. Bernardo Ave.                          http://www.valicert.com
<http://www.valicert.com/> 
Mountain View, CA 94043

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 3:10 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: OCSP v1 - request for clarification of request

Hi all, 

We'd be grateful for clarification of an ambiguity in the June 1999 OCSP v1
spec. 

   CertID          ::=     SEQUENCE { 

Many thanks in advance, 

Jonathan 
----------------------- 

****************************************************************************
***************************************
Symbian Limited (Co.No.3173352) Registered Office: Sentinel House, 16
Harcourt Street, London, W1H 4AD, UK.
This message is intended only for use by the named addressee and may contain
privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the named
addressee you should not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on
it. If you have received this message in error please notify
[email-masked] and delete the message and any attachments
accompanying it immediately. Symbian does not accept liability for any
corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses occuring to this
message in transit or for any message sent by its employees which is not in
compliance with Symbian corporate policy.
****************************************************************************
***************************************