Subject: Re: Looking for Standards

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:32:14 (NZDT)

Polar Humenn <[email-masked]> writes:

>There is a standard for certificate management out of the CORBA E-commerce
>Group, from the OMG (Object Management Group), the standards group for Object
>Request Brokers.
>
>The document number there is:
>        http://cgi.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?ec/99-12-03

Hmm, the original request was for a simple, lightweight means of grabbing certs
from a server via HTTP.  I saw a mention of LDAP somewhere, and now someone's
suggested using CORBA to move certs around... I can't shake the feeling that
this progression is heading in the exact opposite direction to what the
original poster was after :-).

(I was going to finish by suggesting something silly as the next step in the
 progression, but I normally use Corba as the canonical heavyweight protocol so
 I can't actually think of anything to use as the next step beyond this).

Peter.

---

From: Polar Humenn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:23:11 -0500 (EST)

> original poster was after :-).

Well, it is "lightweight" when you consider the time to market
capabilities: besides an interoperable wire protocol, you get a
corresponding API, a Request/Reply semamtics, an object model, a security
model, and don't have to screw around with ASN.1 encodings except for the
Cert Request, which you'd have to do anyway (although you could easily
usurp with XML or something else). It's easy.

I guess I misinterpreted "lightweight". :-0

Cheers,
-Polar

>  I can't actually think of anything to use as the next step beyond this).

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Polar Humenn                  Adiron, LLC
mailto:[email-masked]       2-212 CST      
Phone: 315-443-3171           Syracuse, NY 13244-4100
Fax:   315-443-4745           http://www.adiron.com