Subject: Changes to the TSP document

From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 18:33:26 +0200

The TSP document has got an extensive review at the IESG level.

In particular Marcus Leech on March 08, noticed the typo that had been
advertised on the PKIX mailing list by Bernd Matthes from Celo 
Communications GmbH on January, 23. 

"4. A client application using application using only a nonce ..."

This proves that the document has been carefully read by the IESG members.

Once upon a time I was joking that an obvious error should be left in every
document to make sure that it had been read. :-)

Other comments came from the IESG about some changes in Annexes E and F.

It has been requested to change the wording of the reference to son-of-2459
in APPENDIX E: Access descriptors for timeStamping. 

[This annex describes an extension based on the SIA extension that 
will be defined in the "son-of-RFC2459". Since at the time of 
publication of this document, "son-of-RFC2459" is not yet available, 
its description is placed in an informative annex. This annex will 
become normative, when this document will move from Proposed Standard 
to Standard.] 

Proposed change: 

" The contents of this annex will eventually become incorporated into 
the son-of-RFC2459 document, at which time this annex will no longer 
be needed. A future version of this document will likely omit this 
annex and refer to son-of-RFC2459 directly." 

In annex F, although there are MIME registration templates, they were not
clearly in an IANA considerations section. The header has been added, as 
well as some additional text.

Although these changes could have been made during the 48 hours notice time
before the document is posted by the IETF editor, I have produced a new
version that incorporates all the changes that have been requested up to
now. This new version has been posted to the web editor and should be
published soon.

I have also clarified one sentence in the introduction section, reusing the
first sentence from the abstract: "A time stamping service supports
assertions of proof that a datum existed *before* a particular time." 

Old sentence:

The TSA's role is to time stamp a datum to establish evidence 
indicating the time *at* which the datum existed.  

New sentence:

The TSA's role is to time stamp a datum to establish evidence 
indicating that a datum existed *before* a particular time.

I do hope that this will be the last version before the document 
is finally transformed into an RFC.

Denis 

TSP lead editor.