Subject: v1.9.1 Certificate Management Library Now Available

From: "Pawling, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 16:49:31 -0400

All,

Getronics Government Solutions has delivered the Version 1.9.1 Certificate
Management Library (CML) for MS Windows, Solaris 2.7 and Linux.  The v1.9.1
CML is freely available to everyone from the Getronics CML web page
<http://www.getronicsgov.com/hot/cml_home.htm>.  This release includes bug
fixes for the v1.9 CML release, and the integration of the new SNACC string
conversion functions into the CML.  The v1.9.1 CML requires the latest SNACC
release (v1.3 R6).  Older versions of the SNACC library will not work.
SNACC v1.3 R6 can be downloaded from
<http://www.getronicsgov.com/hot/snacc_home.htm>.

The v1.9.1 CML is described in the v1.9 CML Application Programming
Interface (API) document.  It implements the 2000 X.509 Recommendation
certification path processing rules and SDN.706.  It meets the majority of
the IETF PKIX RFC 2459 Certificate/CRL Profile requirements.  The CML uses
path building software based on the v2.0 CPDL from CygnaCom Solutions, an
Entrust Technologies company, to provide robust certification path building
capabilities such as using cross certificates. 

The CML has been used to validate X.509 Certificates and Certificate
Revocation Lists (CRL) signed using the Digital Signature Algorithm (DSA)
and RSA.  Further enhancements, ports and testing of the CML are still in
process.  Further releases of the CML will be provided as 
significant capabilities are added. 

The following enhancements are included in the v1.9.1 CML release 
(compared with the v1.9 release):

 1. Modified DN conversion functions to use new SNACC string conversion
functions. 
    Fixed bug in buildRdnString() that incorrectly escaped UTF8 strings. 
 
 2. Added call to new SNACC ASN1Terminate() function to free up the global
hash tables 
    used to perform the decoding of the ASN.1 ANYs.

 3. Corrected logic on freeing objects, when a free callback function was
passed in.

 4. Modified CMU_BreakUpCertPair and its underlying functions.

 5. Corrected argument to function call CMU_genname2str, when the
Distribution Point
    name refers to a full name. 

The following v1.9.1 CML files are available from the Getronics CML web 
page:
1) Windows_CMLLibv1.9.1.ZIP: MS Windows Dynamically Linked Libraries 
(DLL) 
2) Windows_CM_Toolv1.9.1.ZIP: CM_Tool executable
3) Solaris_CMLLibv1.9.1.tar.Z: Sun Solaris Libraries 
4) Solaris_CM_Toolv1.9.1.tar.z: CM_Tool for Solaris
5) Linux_CMLLibv1.9.1.tar.Z: Linux Libraries
6) Linux_CM_Toolv1.9.1.tar.z: CM_Tool for Linux
7) CML_sourcev1.9.1.tar.Z: Source, including Windows project files 
8) CMAPI_data.tar.Z: Test Certs and CRLs used to test CML

The v1.9 CML API document (CMv1.9api.doc, CMv1.9api.pdf), v1.9 SRL API 
document (SRLv1.9api.doc, SRLv1.9api.pdf), and v1.9 CML readme file are
also available from the Getronics CML web page.

All source code for the CML is being provided at no cost and with no
financial limitations regarding its use and distribution. Organizations 
can use the CML without paying any royalties or licensing fees.  The CML 
was originally developed by the U.S. Government.  Getronics is enhancing 
and supporting the CML under contract to the U.S. Government.  The U.S.
Government is furnishing the CML software at no cost to the vendor 
Subject to the conditions of the CML Public License provided with the CML 
software.  

The v1.9.1 CML uses the Getronics v1.3 R6 Enhanced SNACC ASN.1 Library to
encode/decode objects.  Getronics has successfully tested the v1.9.1 CML 
with the SNACC and CTIL DLLs delivered in conjunction with the v1.10 SFL.
Source code for the Getronics-developed CTILs is available from
<http://www.getronicsgov.com/hot/sfl_home.htm>.  The actual crypto libraries

are not provided with the CML or SFL.  They must be independently obtained
from the appropriate source.  

The CML can be used in conjunction with the v2.0 CPDL to successfully meet
all of the requirements of the Bridge Certification Authority
Demonstration effort which includes cross-certified Entrust, Spyrus and
Motorola v3 certificate domains.  The CML_source.tar.Z file includes the
CPDL
source code and public license.
<http://www.cygnacom.com/products/index.htm>
provides more information regarding the CPDL.

The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is providing a
standard test suite of X.509 certificate paths
<http://csrc.nist.gov/pki/testing/x509paths.html> that can be used for
testing applications against RFC 2459.  The CML was used to successfully 
process the NIST test data.

The Internet Mail Consortium (IMC) has established a CML web page
http://www.imc.org/imc-cml and a CML mail list which is used to: distribute 
information regarding CML releases; discuss CML-related issues; and allow
CML 
users to provide feedback, comments, bug reports, etc.  Subscription
information 
for the imc-cml mailing list is at the IMC web site listed above.  

All comments regarding the CML source code and documents are welcome. 
This CML release announcement was sent to several mail lists, but please 
send all messages regarding the CML to the imc-cml mail list ONLY.  Please
do 
not send messages regarding the CML to any of the IETF mail lists.  We will
respond to all messages sent to the imc-cml mail list.

===========================================
John Pawling, [email-masked]
Getronics Government Solutions, LLC
===========================================