Subject: Fixing ASN.1 module error in PKIX-new-part1-12

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:14:15 -0400

Many thanks to Rich Nicholas for detecting a mistake in the ASN.1 modules 
before Son-of-2459 was published as an RFC.  The problem is described in 
the attached message, and only impacts certificates that include the X.400 
ORAddress as an alterative name.  I have been working with the RFC Editor 
to correct this before publication.

I am not moving the definition.  If I did, then each module would 
have  IMPORTs from the other, and I am not sure that all of the tools could 
handle this circular situation.  At this late date, I did not want to 
create a third module, so the solution is to insert "IMPLICIT" in each of 
the tagged definitions associated with the ORAddress.

The resulting ASN.1 has been compiled with two different compilers, so I am 
quite confident that additional errors have not been introduced.  One of 
the compilers reports no errors.  The compiler complains about the 
specification of UNIVERSAL tags.  This is not unexpected, as discussed in 
the introduction to Appendix A.

I have submitted a new Internet-Draft 
(draft-ietf-pkix-new-part1-asn1-00.txt) that contains the updated ASN.1 
modules in order to distribute the corrections widely and quickly.

Russ

At 12:34 PM 2/28/2002 -0500, Nicholas, Richard wrote:
>Russ & Tim,
>
>The ORAddress syntax (and the syntax for its members) included in Appendix A
>should have been included in the PKIXImplicit88 module (A.2), rather than
>the PKIXExplicit88 module (A.1).
>
>ORAddress is defined in the MTSAbstractService module from X.411, which uses
>IMPLICIT tagging.
>
>- Rich