Subject: RE: LDAP Certificate transfer syntax (draft-ietf-pkix-ldap-v3-05. txt)

From: "Ramsay, Ron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 10:13:03 +1000

Ken,

I don't find this at all obvious. Apparently, some company creates
certificates with an email address in the subject DN. This would be horrible
to have to implement in a DIT. (I think the approved method of finding the
principal in this case is to search for an entry where the mail attribute
has this address as a value.)

There is also the case where the same identity has multiple cdrtificates.

Ron.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Stillson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, 3 April 2002 6:53
To: David Chadwick
Cc: LDAP BIS; PKIX
Subject: Re: LDAP Certificate transfer syntax
(draft-ietf-pkix-ldap-v3-05.txt)

  On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, David Chadwick wrote:
> All constructive comments welcomed

  Hi David-
  A thought for the you...

  Although implied by section 3, perhaps it should be stated expectedly:

  "A PKI object should be placed into a LDAP directory such that the LDAP
   object DN matches the subject DN of the object."

  Although this seems obvious to some, I've run into a surprising number of
  clients setting up directories using some alternate structure, who are
  then surprised when validation software can't find certificates given
  subject DN's.

    - Ken Stillson

-- 
      |   Ken Stillson             |    [email-masked]    |
      |   Sr. Principal Engineer   |    voice: (703) 610-2965    |
      |   Mitretek Systems         |      fax: (703) 610-2984    |