Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-rfc3161bis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 07:53:27 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Time-Stamp 
                          Protocol (TSP)
	Author(s)	: C. Adams, P. Cain, D. Pinkas, R. Zuccherato
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pkix-rfc3161bis-00.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 26-Apr-02
	
This document describes the format of a request sent to a Time
Stamping Authority (TSA) and of the response that is returned. It
also establishes several security-relevant requirements for TSA
operation, with regards to processing requests to generate responses.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-rfc3161bis-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pkix-rfc3161bis-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-rfc3161bis-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:40:28 +0200 (MET DST)

The text contains a changement that fixes some text concerning a MUST
requirement of the TSA policy to be returned, by changing some
SHOULD to a 'should'. 

I would like to know whether this text corresponds to group
consensus. 

As far as I remember there are some group members that
say that the MUST should be a SHOULD.  

I think the conflict can be summarizes with two paragraphs:

Actual: 

   The policy field MUST indicate the TSA's policy under which the
   response was produced.  If a similar field was present in the
   TimeStampReq, then it MUST have the same value, otherwise an error
   (unacceptedPolicy) MUST be returned. 

Proposed:

   The 'policy' field MUST indicate the TSA's policy under which the
   response was produced.  If the field 'reqPolicy' was present in the
   TimeStampReq, then 'policy' SHOULD have the same value, or an
   error (unacceptedPolicy) SHOULD be returned. 

Unfortunately it seems difficult to get a common opinion between
those who specify and those who implement. 

------------------------

I think that the following text 

      " In that case, at any
       future time, the tokens signed with the corresponding key will be
       considered as invalid, but tokens generated before the revocation
       time will remain valid. "

should be accompagnied by something like:

   It is difficult for a user to claim validity of a token that have a date
   inferior to the revocation date without additional means, e.g. 
   cooperation of the TSA. It is necessary to provide evidence that the
   time stamp had been created before revocation BY THE TSA.