Subject: Re: ASN.1 syntax for OCSP nonce value?

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 18:18:51 +1200 (NZST)

Dr S N Henson <[email-masked]> writes:

>IIRC one client I tried placed an OCTET STRING inside the OCTET STRING whereas
>another just put the raw nonce value in there with no encoding. All the
>responders I tried would correctly handle the raw value.

Hmm, I wonder where I got the INTEGER from?  The fact that I complain about it
in the code indicates that something at some point specified it... does anyone
archive old drafts?  Could it be something which vanished during the editing
process?

Peter.

---

From: Juergen Brauckmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 09:23:21 +0200

Peter Gutmann wrote:
> archive old drafts?  

In draft-ietf-ocsp-03.txt from March '98:
=======================================================
3.4.1 Nonce

The nonce cryptographically binds a request and a response to prevent
replay attacks. The nonce is included as one of the requestExtensions
in requests, while in responses it would be included as one of the
responseExtensions.  In both the request and the response, the nonce
will be identified by the object identifier id-pkix-ocsp-nonce, while
the extnValue is the value of the nonce.

id-pkix-ocsp-nonce     OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { id-pkix-ocsp 2 }
======================================================

Perhaps you mixed it with TSP?

Regards,
   Juergen