Subject: EMAIL attribute in x500 name

From: "Markus Lorch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 09:36:42 -0400

I ran accross the question if the attribute /EMAIL= in an X.500
name (issuer or subject in a X.509v3 cert) is standardized or at
least what OID is assigned to it. 

I can only find the attribute /EMAILADDR which apprears to have an
RSA security OID. The /EMAIL attribute is often found in x.509 
certificates from "openCA" CA's. However, it is not supported by
Sun's java implementation of an X.500 name.

I have been pointed to use the /EMAILADDR attribute - however 
from rfc2459 it appears that this attribute should no longer 
be used (it mentions it is deprecated).
 
It would be great if somebody has a pointer for me

Thanks

Markus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Markus Lorch
Doctoral Student in Computer Science
Virginia Tech
http://csgrad.cs.vt.edu/~mlorch