Subject: Re: draft-ietf-pkix-warranty-extn-01

From: "Tom Gindin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 17:16:42 -0400

Juergen:

      This depends on the interpretation of the text.  There are two ways
to resolve this.  Either the amtExp10 field should have a different range
(perhaps (-6..MAX)) or amtExp10 is to be interpreted as a resolution
exponent only, so the actual value is amount / 10**amtExp10.  The example
points towards the second option.
      If the second of these options is to be taken, the wording must
change.  I suggest adding after the sentence defining amtExp10 an extra
sentence as follows: "The actual monetary value in the named currency unit,
when amtExp10 is present, is amount divided by 10 to the (amtExp10) power".
Anyway, why is this value an exponent base 10?  Not that long ago, one of
the world's principal hard currencies had two minor units, 1/20 and 1/240,
and I'm not sure there aren't some similar cases still around.  It could be
called minorUnitDivisor and the value would just be amount /
minorUnitDivisor.

            Tom Gindin

Juergen Brauckmann <[email-masked]>@mail.imc.org on 05/31/2002
09:15:27 AM

Sent by:    [email-masked]

To:    [email-masked]
cc:    Pkix <[email-masked]>
Subject:    Re: draft-ietf-pkix-warranty-extn-01

Hi.

How should extendedWarranty be used? Perhaps you can give an example?

Format of the currency field in CurrencyAmount: There is at least one
standard ("ETSI qualified certificate profile") I know of which
recommends use of a PrintableString and the alphabetic code from ISO
4217.

The example in chapter 2.2 is wrong:
 "$48,525.50 (in US dollars) is represented as:
     currency =      840
     amount   =  4852550
     amtExp10 =        2"

That's wrong. 4852550 * (10 ** 2) is 485,255,000. I guess you wanted to
say that amtExp10 is -2, but you cannot do that because it has to be >=
0.

Regards,
   Juergen