Subject: PKIX OID arc

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:58:34 -0700

I noticed on the IMC PKIX webpage (http://www.imc.org/ietf-pkix/):
  The official PKIX OID arc is maintained by Russ Housley and is
  reproduced here.

and sure enough IANA sure enough has delegated the responsible
for maintaining this OID arch to Russ.  This seems a bit odd
to me.  Official IETF registries should be maintained by IANA
under guidance established by the IETF.  Seems PKIX should
write a BCP which returns the registry function to IANA
and, if appropriate, recommend that new values be assigned
under an "Expert Review Required" policy.  The WG might
then recommend to the IESG that Russ be that expert.

Kurt

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:27:03 +1200 (NZST)

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]> writes:

>and sure enough IANA sure enough has delegated the responsible for
>maintaining this OID arch to Russ.  This seems a bit odd to me.

It works fine, why mess with it?

Peter.