Subject: [Badly-named] PKI newsgroup

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 04:43:01 +1300 (NZDT)

For those who don't normally read news:

-- Snip --

                     FIRST CALL FOR VOTES (of 2)
           unmoderated group comp.security.public-key-infra

This CFV is to be distributed only by the votetaker.  It is not to be
posted to newsgroups, or mailed to mailing lists or individuals, except by
the votetaker.  Ballots or CFVs provided by anyone else will be invalid.

Newsgroups line:
comp.security.public-key-infra  Discussion group for public key infrastructure.

Votes must be received by 23:59:59 UTC, 19 Nov 2002.

This vote is being conducted by a neutral third party.  Questions
about the proposed group should be directed to the proponent.

This vote is being conducted by a neutral third party.  Questions
about the proposed group should be directed to the proponent.

Proponent: Niranjan Rajaghatta <[email-masked]>
Votetaker: Neil Crellin <[email-masked]>

RATIONALE: comp.security.public-key-infra

Currently there exists no single newsgroup which exclusively is
devoted to the discussion of Public Key Infrastructure. Discussion of
PKI and related aspects are done in groups like sci.crypt,
alt.computer.security, *.crypto, sci.crypt.research etc., In order to
create more awareness of PKI, its uses, implementation, end-user
problems, solutions and all other related aspects there is a
requirement to have a newsgroup devoted to PKI.

CHARTER: comp.security.public-key-infra

This group will focus on discussions about PKI, deployment,
application of PKI in government, private and public sectors,
advantages and disadvantages, solution to end-user problems of PKI and
all other PKI-related aspects. This newsgroup will serve as a forum to
bring to focus PKI strengths and weaknesses and allow the general
public to voice their opinion on all PKI related matters.

END CHARTER.

IMPORTANT VOTING PROCEDURE NOTES: READ THIS BEFORE VOTING

The purpose of a Usenet vote is to determine the genuine interest in
reading the proposed newsgroup, and soliciting votes from uninterested
parties defeats this purpose.  Do *not* distribute this CFV;  instead,
direct people to the official CFV as posted to news.announce.newgroups.
parties defeats this purpose.  Do *not* distribute this CFV;  instead,
direct people to the official CFV as posted to news.announce.newgroups.
Distributing specific voting instructions or pre-marked copies of
this CFV is considered vote fraud.

This is a public vote:  All email addresses, names and votes will be
listed in the final RESULT post.  The name used may be either a real
name or an established Usenet handle.

At most one vote is allowed per person or per account.  Duplicate
votes will be resolved in favor of the most recent valid vote.

Voters must mail their ballots directly to the votetaker.  Anonymous,
forwarded, or proxy votes are not valid, nor are votes mailed from
WWW/HTML/CGI forms (which should not exist).  Votes from nonexistent
accounts or with munged, spam-blocked, or undeliverable addresses are
invalid and will NOT be counted.

Please direct any questions to the votetaker at <[email-masked]>

HOW TO VOTE:

Extract the ballot from the CFV by deleting everything before and after
the "BEGINNING OF BALLOT" and "END OF BALLOT" lines.  Don't worry about
the spacing of the columns or any quote characters (">") that your
reply inserts.  Please, DO NOT send the entire CFV back to me!

Fill in the ballot as shown below.  Please provide your real name
(or established Usenet handle) and indicate your desired vote in the
appropriate locations inside the ballot.

Examples of how to properly indicate your vote:

Examples of how to properly indicate your vote:

  [ YES     ]  example.yes.vote
  [ NO      ]  example.no.vote
  [ ABSTAIN ]  example.abstention
  [ CANCEL  ]  example.cancellation

DO NOT modify, alter or delete any information in this ballot!
If you do, the voting software will probably reject your ballot.

When finished, MAIL the ballot to: < [email-masked] >
Just "replying" to this message should work, but check the "To:" line.

If you do not receive an acknowledgment of your vote within three
days contact the votetaker about the problem.  You are responsible
for reading your ack and making sure your vote is registered correctly.

If these instructions are unclear, please consult the Introduction to
Usenet Voting or the Usenet Voting FAQ at http://www.stanford.edu/~neilc/uvv.

======== BEGINNING OF BALLOT: Delete everything before this line =======
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| 1ST CALL FOR VOTES: comp.security.public-key-infra
| Official Usenet Voting Ballot <CSP-0001> (Do not remove this line!)
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Please provide your real name, or your vote may be rejected.  Established
| Usenet handles are also acceptable.  Place ONLY your name (ie. do NOT
| include your e-mail address or any other information; ONLY your name)
| after the colon on the following line:

Voter name:

| Insert YES, NO, ABSTAIN, or CANCEL inside the brackets for each
| Insert YES, NO, ABSTAIN, or CANCEL inside the brackets for each
| newsgroup listed below (do not delete the newsgroup name):

 Your Vote   Newsgroup
 ---------   -----------------------------------------------------------
[         ]  comp.security.public-key-infra

======== END OF BALLOT: Delete everything after this line ==============

This CFV was created with uvpq 1.0 (Feb  6 1999).
PQ datestamp: 980322

--
Voting address: [email-masked]