Subject: RE: draft-ietf-pkix-logotypes-06.txt

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 04:38:57 +1300 (NZDT)

"David Cross" <[email-masked]> writes:

>I my opinion, I am afraid that the presence of logotypes in additonal types
>of certificates will imply that clients should display such logos when path
>validation or revocation check is performed.  For example, every time a mail
>message is processed and signature check performed, should the mail client
>display the logo for the OCSP responder to the end user?  In that example, I
>would argue strongly that we have extended from the useful scenario of
>enabling simpler certificate selection for end users to an intolerable user
>experience.

As long as implementors follow the standard tradition of adding a "Don't show
me this again" checkbox (checked by default) to the display, we'll be OK.

This probably doesn't make the addition of logotypes too useful though, since
you'll only see them the first time the software is run.

Peter.

---

From: Tony Bartoletti <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:32:24 -0700

>you'll only see them the first time the software is run.

The "solution" would be to present the "Don't show me again" checkbox on a
certificate-by-certificate (owner) basis (or perhaps, an issuer-by-issuer 
basis.)

As if ...

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <[email-masked]>

Information Operations and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900