Subject: WG: <draft-ietf-pkix-pi-03.txt>

From: "Otto Mueller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:33:40 +0100

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Otto Mueller [mailto:[email-masked]]
Gesendet: Monday, March 18, 2002 3:58 PM
An: [email-masked]
Cc: MESROPIAN, Andre; THIENOT, Alain; MUELLER, Adrian
Betreff: <draft-ietf-pkix-pi-03.txt>

Dear D. Pinkas and T. Gindin,
We have read with great interest the Draft PKIX Standard for Permanent
identifiers. According to our experience with PKI, there is a real demand
for such identifiers.
Schemes according to ISO-6523 may be allocated with an ICD (= OID under the
arc 1.3.). This fits perfectly into this new standard. Therefore we suggest
to add a new annex to your draft. If you feel that it sounds to much like an
advertisement for the EDIRA association feel free to change it.
We suggest the following:
"
B.3. Using an ICD (International Code Designator) from British Standards
Institution

Organizations running a scheme according to ISO-6523 (standard for
identification and registration of organization identification schemes) may
apply for an ICD value. An ICD value is equivalent to an OID under the arc
{iso (1) org(3)}. Registration Authority for ICD values is BSI (British
Standards Institution). For registration, a "Sponsoring Authority" has to
vouch for the applying organization. An example of such a Sponsoring
Authority is the EDIRA Association (EDI/EC Registration Authority, web:
http://www.edira.org, email:[email-masked]). Registration is not free.
BSI maintains a list of all issued ICDs (ICD-list.htm) which is stored at
http://xw2k.sdct.itl.nist.gov/l8/Website-pages/draft.htm
"

Regards,
	Adrian Mueller	EDIRA Webmaster
	Otto Mueller	EDIRA Chairman