Subject: Space stamping protocol

From: Eric Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:41:25 -0600 (CST)

So, we have a need for time stamping services and the associated
protocols.

Can we use GPS satellites and receivers to provide a space stamping
service?

It might be useful for the nuclear launch scenario or alibis.

Eric Norman

		"I may be just a butterfly,
		 but watch out if I flap my wings".

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:54:54 -0500

>It might be useful for the nuclear launch scenario or alibis.

PKIX adopted a time stamping protocol not because it is an 
infrastructure service in support of non-repudiation, which is a 
common function for PKIs.  A "space stamping" protocol would not seem 
to offer a service which is intrinsically related to PKI, and thus 
would not seem to be a suitable PKIX work item.

Steve