Subject: Re: [TSP/RFC3161] PKIFailureInfo values

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 14:18:10 +0100 (MET)

> 
> Phil, thanks for trying to help, I think that's for sure useful in some 
ditto 
> cases but here we can't / don't wan't
> to describe all the possible combinations of PKIFailure BIT STRING 
> values since in my opinion that
> will probably create a great mess around a "simple" issue!

There are indeed some protocols that use BITSTRING in a way that
each bit is not indicating independantly something specific, or, 
well, at least there is only a formal orthogonal 2**N space.
Sometime it would have been better to assign three possible values
0 1 2 to an integer instead of havin a 2 bit combination (which is
in fact larger to encode).

> 
> Maybe Peter, Denis, Andrew, Peter S. or someone else have another opinion...
> 

  PKIFreeText ::= SEQUENCE SIZE (1..MAX) OF UTF8String
      -- text encoded as UTF-8 String (note:  each UTF8String SHOULD
      -- include an RFC 1766 language tag to indicate the language
      -- of the contained text)

How can the language tag be distinguished from the text?

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 19:47:19 -0800

>How can the language tag be distinguished from the text?

Language tags in Unicode have their own code points that don't 
conflict with any other characters. They are E0001 and E0020-E007F 
(yes, that's in plane 14).

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium