Subject: RFC 3280 : CRL Validation

From: Takashi ITO <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:31:43 +0900

Hi,

I have a question about CRL Validation in RFC 3280.

In clause 6.3.2, the state variable is defined as the following:

    (a)  reasons_mask:  This variable contains the set of revocation
    reasons supported by the CRLs and delta CRLs processed so far.
    ...(snip)... This variable is initialized to the empty set.

However, in CRL Processing described in clause 6.3.3,
the reasons_mask state variable is not updated at all,
while CRL Processing says "If reasons_mask is all-reasons ...".

I think the updating phase is necessary in clause 6.3.3, CRL Processing.
For example:

    (l)  Set the reasons_mask state variable to the union of
    its previous value and the value of the interim_reasons_mask
    state variable.

Is my understanding right?

Thanks,

Takashi ITO <[email-masked]>
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation

---

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:53:41 -0500

Takashi:

Yes, you are correct.  Thanks for pointing out this error in RFC 3280.

Russ