Subject: RE: No-op LDAP ;binary option

From: Steve Hanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:22:25 -0500

Russ Housley wrote:
>I do not care how this gets encoded in the darn LDAP protocol; however, 
>certificate users need fetch the certificate as a binary blob.

I *do* care how it gets encoded in LDAP. My LDAP client followed RFC 2256,
which said to store and retrieve the userCertificate attribute using
the ;binary option. It seems to me that future versions of LDAPv3
should maintain the ability to do this, since it was once the recommended
way (in a Proposed Standard that's part of LDAPv3, no less!). Any of
Hallvard's solutions are fine with me.

Steve

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:39:58 +0100

Steve Hanna writes:
> Any of Hallvard's solutions are fine with me.

If they are all good enough, we should go for the first and simplest
suggestion:  An option which does nothing, with no extra frills.

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: Michael Ströder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:53:06 +0100

> suggestion:  An option which does nothing, with no extra frills.

+1

Ciao, Michael.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:41:31 -0000

From:           	Steve Hanna <[email-masked]>
Date sent:      	Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:22:25 -0500
To:             	"Russ Housley" <[email-masked]>, "Ramsay, Ron" <[email-masked]>
Copies to:      	<[email-masked]>, "Hallvard B Furuseth" <[email-masked]>
Send reply to:  	<[email-masked]>
Subject:        	RE: No-op LDAP ;binary option

> I *do* care how it gets encoded in LDAP. 

Steve

So do I. That's why the PKIX LDAP PKI Schema ID ensures that the bits on the 
line are exactly the same when userCertificates are requested in the new spec, 
compared with userCertificates;binary in the old spec

David

>My LDAP client followed RFC 2256,