Subject: RE: Logotype: communitylogoURI addition ?

From: "David Cross" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 06:09:33 -0800

Denis:

Interesting proposal, but would this not encourage *advertising* through
the use of logotypes?  Just being cautious here... The intention of
logotypes is to assist the relying party or end user make a certificate
selection, not advertise the community.

The second concern is we are already starting to see application
scenarios fail due to large certificates, large chains and
cross-certification where network protocols cannot handle the size.  I
am concerned this would bloat the certificates even more.

My thinking out loud at this point...  
 
David B. Cross

-----Original Message-----
From: Denis Pinkas [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 3:47 AM
To: pkix
Subject: Logotype: communitylogoURI addition ?

Proposal for an addition: communitylogoURI

Today the LogotypeImage contains imageURI. However, the image may be
placed 
anywhere and not necessarily on the web site from the organization 
delivering the logo. In case an end-user would like to "know more" about
the 
conditions to get a community Logo or the meaning of the community logo,

there is currently no easy way to know more.

Wouldn't it be nice to double-click on the community logo to know more ?

Wouldn't it be useful to add a URI where more information on the
community 
is available ?

This could be done by adding an optional element into the SEQUENCE of 
elements contained in LogotypeData or LogotypeImage.

That element would contain an IA5String which would point to the web
site 
from the organization delivering the community logo. It could be called:

communitylogoURI.

Feeedback ?

Denis

---

From: "Stefan Santesson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:40:38 +0100

I'm not sure whether I like this or not, but the issue is general for all
logotype types, not only community.

/Stefan

> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of David Cross
> Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 3:10 PM
> To: Denis Pinkas; pkix
> Subject: RE: Logotype: communitylogoURI addition ?
>
>
>
> Denis:
>