Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-certstore-http-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 07:09:26 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Operational 
                          Protocols: Certificate Store Access via HTTP
	Author(s)	: P. Gutmann
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pkix-certstore-http-03.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2002-12-18
	
The protocol conventions described in this document satisfy some of the
operational requirements of the Internet Public Key Infrastructure (PKI). This document specifies the conventions for using the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/HTTPS) as an interface mechanism to obtain certificates and certificate revocation lists (CRLs) from PKI repositories.  Additional mechanisms addressing PKIX operational requirements are specified in separate documents.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-certstore-http-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pkix-certstore-http-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-certstore-http-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Jeff Jacoby <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 08:19:15 -0800

Some minor comments on the table of attributes and values in
Section 2. HTTP Certificate Store Interface:

The paragraph preceeding the table reads:

  "Permitted attribute types and associated values are described below.
   Arbitrary-length binary values (indicated in the table below) are
converted
   into a search key by the process described in section 2.1.  Note that
the
   values are checked for an exact match, and are therefore
case-sensitive.

Is it necessary to require an exact match for all attributes,
particularly 
for such attributes as the email and name attributes?  For example, I'm 
looking for the cert for Bill Williams, but I don't know if the common
name
is "Bill Williams" or "Will Williams" or "B. Williams", etc, so I might
like 
to try a search on just "Williams" 

Secondly, the entry for email attribute indicates the value as:

  "Subject email address contained in the certificate,
   typically as an rfc882Name attribute

Is it necessary the email attribute be from the certificate.  Is it
a reasonable or likely situation that a certificate store might use 
the email address as an database index even though it's not actually 
in the certificate?

Jeff