Subject: Re: [TSP] PKIStatus constants clarification

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:18:39 +1300

tho <[email-masked]> writes:

>Could someone give me some hints on how to interpret the following codes:

RC 3161 contains assorted things pulled in via cut & paste from RFC 2510.

Some of the cutting and pasting hasn't been totally successful.

>I don't understand the rationale for the Socket Based Protocol,

There isn't one.  It's another cut & paste from 2510.

(Actually it's not really a cut & paste, it's a partial cut & paste, with
 enough left out that it doesn't serve any purpose except to complicate
 implementations.  Just use HTTP transport instead).

Peter.

---

From: tho <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:13:35 +0100

Peter, 

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 03:18:39PM +1300, Peter Gutmann wrote:
>  implementations.  

Exactly.

> Just use HTTP transport instead).

I do HTTP, as well a minimized version of the Socket Based Protocol, i.e.:
client sends tsaMsg and the TSA responds with a finalMsgRep. That's all,
no other code (partialMsgRep and friends) is allowed. 

But since these strange codes actually stay in the spec, I'd like to know 
what they are for. 

And if there is no reason/rationale for them to exist, or if the rationale 
is no longer valid, I'd just like the spec being purged.  Am I asking too 
much ?

Thomas