Subject: Logotype: what happens when a communityLogo is lost ?

From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:51:37 +0100

What happens when a communityLogo is lost ?

The current text says:

"If communityLogos is present, the logotypes MUST represent one or more
communities to which the certificate issuer is affiliated."

The question is the following:

If for any reason, a certificate issuer is loosing (even temporarily) one
of its community logos, MUST all certificates bearing such a logo be
revoked ? or is the community logo testified by the CA as valid only at
the time of issuance of the certificate ?

Same question for the Issuer Organization Logotype and the Subject
Organization Logotype.

Should we distinguish between logotypes verified as valid only at the time
of issuance of the certificate and logotypes that will be a case for
certificate revocation when the logotype is temporarily or definitively
lost ?

Whatever decision is taken on that aspect, the text should be explicit,
but beware of revoking XXXX certificates just because one logotype has
been (even temporarily) lost.

Denis

---

From: "Stefan Santesson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:07:54 +0100

Denis,

I don't see any special case for logotypes.
This is a legal problem before it can ever become a technical problem.

Everything put into a certificate is a statement at the time of issuance.
The content is generally valid until the certificate is revoked.

What in this case is, and what is not, cause for revocation is a policy
issue and a contractual issue between those owning trademarks, servicemarks,
and those who use them.

Are you suggesting that execution of such contracts need a technical
solution, in addition to certificate revocation?
I can not see what that would be.

/Stefan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Denis Pinkas
> Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 12:52 PM
> To: pkix
> Subject: Logotype: what happens when a communityLogo is lost ?
>
>
>