Subject: 2003 PKI Research Workshop

From: Carl Ellison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 06:47:43 -0700

The 2nd Annual PKI Research Workshop is almost here: April 28-29, 2003
at NIST in Gaithersburg, MD.

The program features a broad variety of perspectives, new developments
and results on the use of public key technology for security decision
making.  There are talks and panel sessions on human interface issues,
trust, identity management, SAML and of course PKI. The refereed papers
touch a variety of topics including authorization issues, enrollment,
novel architectures, CA for ad-hoc networks and much more.  Get an
update on the field, compare notes with leading researchers, discuss the
past, present and future & bring your own Work-In-Progress for an
evening session.

Sign up by April 22nd at
     http://middleware.internet2.edu/pki03/

Neal McBurnett                 http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/
Signed and/or sealed mail encouraged.  GPG/PGP Keyid: 2C9EBA60

   2nd Annual PKI Research Workshop Preliminary Program

   Monday April 28th, 2003

   The bus from the hotel will leave at 7:45AM on Monday and 8:15AM on
   Tuesday. The bus will leave NIST immediately (5-10 minutes) after the
   end of the last session.
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Mon 08:00 - 09:00:  Registration and Coffee
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Mon 09:00 - 09:30:  Opening Remarks
     * Ken Klingenstein, Director of Internet2 Middleware Initiative;
       General Chair
     * Carl Ellison - Intel; Program Chair
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Mon 09:30 - 10:30:  Invited Talk
     * Making PKI Usable: Some Issues, Techniques, and Results
          + Alma Whitten, University of California, Berkeley
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Mon 10:30 - 11:00:  Coffee break
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Mon 11:00 - 12:30:  Referreed Papers: Enrollment
     * An Overview of Public Key Certificate Support for Canada's
       Government On-Line (GOL) Initiative
          + Mike Just, Treasury Board of Canada, Secretariat
     * FreeICP.ORG: Free Trusted Certiicates by Combining the X.509 and
       PGP Hierarchy Through a Collaborative Trust Scoring System
          + Marco Antônio Carnut, Evandro Curvelo Hora, Cristiano Lincoln
            Mattos : Tempest Security Technologies; Fábio Silva,
            Universidade Federal de Pernambuco - CIn/UFPE, Brazil
     * Improving Message Security With a Self-Assembling PKI
          + Jon Callas, PGP Corporation
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Mon 12:30 - 14:00:  Lunch break
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Mon 14:00 - 15:30:  Referreed Papers: Security of the CA
     * Intrusion Tolerant Password-Enabled PKI
          + Xunhua Wang, James Madison University
     * Decentralization Methods of Certification Authority Using the
       Digital Signature Schemes
          + Satoshi Koga, Kouichi Sakurai, Kyushu University, Japan
     * MOCA: Mobile Certificate Authority for Wireless Ad Hoc Networks
          + Seung Yi, Robin Cravets, University of Illinois at
            Urbana-Champaign
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Mon 15:30 - 16:00:  Coffee break
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Mon 16:00 - 17:30:  ReThinking Trust
     * This session will present the current state of trust models and
       practices in networked communities. It will look at macro models
       (hierarchies and bridges, federations, virtual organizations, etc)
       and micro models (static and run time trust decision
       architectures). It will then drill down into federated trust and
       discuss current deployments. There will be discussions around some
       of the emergent issues in federations, including multiple
       federations, multi-use federations, and managing trust.

     * Ken Klingenstein, Internet2
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Mon 18:15: Social Gathering and Conference Dinner at the Holiday Inn.
     * A cash bar will be available at 6:15PM with dinner starting at
       6:45PM.
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Mon 20:00 - ??:  Work In Progess Session
     * Organized by Peter Honeyman, University of Michigan
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Tuesday April 29, 2003
   The bus from the hotel will leave at 8:15AM on  Tuesday. The bus will
   leave NIST immediately (5-10 minutes) after the end of the last
   session.
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Mon 08:30 - 09:00:  Coffee
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Tue 09:00 - 10:30:  Referreed Papers: Authorization
     * Mediating Between Strangers: A Trust Management Based Approach
          + Joachim Biskup, Yücel Karabulut, Universität Dortmund,
            Germany
     * Electronic Signature System with Small Number of Private Keys
          + Ahto Buldas, Tallinn Technical University, Estonia; Märt
            Saarepera, Independent
     * Privacy-enhanced credential services
          + Alex Iliev, Sean Smith, Dartmouth College
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Tue 10:30 - 11:00:  Coffee break
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Tue 11:00 - 12:30:  Panel: Attribute Certificates
     * Organized by Tim Polk, NIST
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Tue 12:30 - 13:30:  Lunch break
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Tue 13:30 - 15:00:  Panel: Transports for Trust - Technology View
    1. Transports  for  trust  (PKI,  SAML,etc.) - when to use which, how
       they can interact, etc.
    2. Implementation   experience   with   SAML  and  relevance  to  PKI
       (Shibboleth et al)
    3. Identity Management topics - SAML applications in Liberty et al.
    4. Update  on  SAML TC - what the TC is working on now and what is in
       the future
    5. Q & A from the audience.

     * Moderator: Krishna Sankar, Cisco Systems
     * Panelists: Scott Cantor - Ohio State/I2-Shibboleth, Carlisle Adams
       - Entrust, Irving Reid - Baltimore, Bronislav Kavsan - RSA/Liberty
       Alliance
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Tue 15:00:  Coffee break
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Tue: 15:30 - 16:30:  Referreed Papers: Attacks
     * On the usefulness of proof-of-possession
          + N.  Asokan,  Valtteri  Niemi,  Pekka Laitinen, Nokia Research
            Center, Finland
     * Keyjacking: Risks of the Current Client-side Infrastructure
          + John Marchesini, S. W. Smith, Meiyuan Zhao, Dartmouth College
   ______________________________________________________________________

   Tue 16:30 - 17:30:  Book Project / Wrap-up Discussion
     * Eugene C. McDowell, National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration
   ______________________________________________________________________