Subject: Re: draft minutes

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:08:57 +0200 (MEST)

> 
> 
> PKIX WG Specifications
> 
> 	Simple Certificate Validation Protocol - Trevor Freeman (Microsoft)
> The current draft of SCVP is in WG Last Call, and is believed to be in
> full compliance with RFC 3379. This presentation discussed changes 
> since the previous (version 11) draft. Plan is to progress to WG last 
> call very soon. [slides]
> 
> 

- Does the last sentence mean IETF last call? 

- After having received at least one complaint (from me),
  Tim Polk announced in the meeting that a new two weeks
  last call period would start after the IETF meeting, the
  reason being that both for participants of the meeting and
  non participants either the travel time or potential discussions
  create some time problems.

- Since non participants of the meeting did not hear this, 
  it seems somewhat logical to me to inform the list BEFORE a new 
  period starts, so everybody know can know this. I expected
  a mail to the list immediately after the meeting, but maybe
  the chairmen did as me, and left Wien immediately so
  they did not have the chance to send a mail. 

- Not even finding this announcement in the draft minutes is
  more surprising. 

- But: Even if the draft minutes would have reflected it, already
  one week would hae ben gone. 

- Therefore I kindly request the chairmen to announce in a
  mail to the list a new beginning of a last call starting
  not less than one full working day in all areas of this
  planet, and the period not covering an IETF meeting. 

Thanks for consideration. 
Peter

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:09:22 -0400

>- Does the last sentence mean IETF last call?

No, the text says WG last call, right?

>   create some time problems.

yes, Tim and I agreed to extend the last call in response to your 
observation that the overlap with the IETF meeting caused problems.

>   they did not have the chance to send a mail.

I failed to mention this in the minutes because I expected we would 
send the announcement out sooner, and because I wanted to draw 
people's attention to the extended last call period, not rely on them 
to dig it out of the minutes. But, we failed to send the message.

>- Not even finding this announcement in the draft minutes is

see explanation above.

WG last calls begin when we send a message top the list announcing 
them.  We don't pre-announce when a last call will begin, nor does 
any other WG with which I am familiar.

so, to address the concerns Peter noted, let's reset the clock on the 
PKIX WG last call on SCVP.  The last call will end on Friday, August 
8th, slightly more than 2 weeks from today.

Steve