Subject: Re: Why is privateKeyUsagePeriod deprecated?

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:02:37 +1200

Tom Gindin <[email-masked]> writes:

  The validity period for a certificate is the period of time from notBefore
  through notAfter, inclusive.  When an RP is validating the signature on a
  document which claims to have been signed or produced at a given past time,
  the RP SHOULD proceed with the verification of the signature if that time is
  within the validity period even though the time of verification is outside
  it. If the RP requires authoritative proof either of the time at which the
  document was signed or of the certificate's not having been revoked, it MAY
  reject the signature.

That works for me.  Russ, any chance of getting this added to bride-of-3280?

Peter.

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:45:54 -0400

>That works for me.  Russ, any chance of getting this added to bride-of-3280?

Peter,

Also, when we have SCVP in place, it make explicit provision for 
asking the "was it valid then" question, which would address this 
problem.

Steve

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:38:06 -0400

Where would you want to add this?  I want to look at the flow of the section?

Russ