Subject: Re: Microsoft and multi-valued RDNs (was: draft minutes)

From: David Chadwick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:23:22 +0100

Leif Johansson wrote:

> The bottom line is that directores are widely deployed and pki is not.
> If pki is to have any
> chance to get integrated with the provisioning systems which *are*
> *already* deployed and
> used in enterprises today it must work with LDAP. No extensions. No
> add-ons.
> 

Leif

The main problem is that some LDAP vendors have not implemented basic
LDAP, but have subtracted some features from the LDAP standard that they
the vendors (but not their users) did not see a need for, such as
aliases, multi-valued RDNs, DIT structure rules and name forms, matching
rules etc. The PKIX group is wanting to use standard features from LDAP,
not extensions (and LDAP has defined plenty of those itself) or add ons.

regards

David

> > Steve
>     MVH leifj

-- 
*********************************************************

Leaders of the world's richest nations meet in Cancun on September 10th
2003. Oxfam is presenting them with a petition to make trade fair. Be
sure your voice is heard. Sign the 'Big Noise' petition to make trade
fair at:

http://www.maketradefair.com/go/join/?p=omf1 

*****************************************************************

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
Professor of Information Systems Security
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel: +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 01484 532930
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184
Email: [email-masked]
Home Page:  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Research Web site: http://sec.isi.salford.ac.uk
Seminars: http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string: MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J
PGP Key ID is 0xBC238DE5

*****************************************************************

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 22:28:05 +0200

>not extensions (and LDAP has defined plenty of those itself) or add ons.
Hmmm, standards in the ietf are defined by running code. If, in the 
course of
deploying a standard certain features are not implemented or not implemented
consistently those features must go away. Fundamentally the market decides
what ietf standards are worth implementing. The pkix wg can no more than
any other part of the ietf mandate what gets implemented or not.

       MVH leifj