Subject: Re: Adding Metadata to PKI = ERROR?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:29:16 +0000

> CA metadata can only help a [tiny] bit here.

I'd go one step further and suggest that the Certificate *is* meta-data.
It is representative of the real world agreements and legal mechanisms
that underpin the trust it represents. A policy OID is metadata. OIDs
are metadata. They are representatives of and placeholders for something
else.

Chris

     **********************************************************************
     This email and any attachments are confidential and intended for the
     addressee only. If you are not the named recipient, you must not use,
     disclose, reproduce, copy or distribute the contents of this
     communication. If you have received this in error, please contact the
     sender and then delete this email from your system.
     **********************************************************************

---

From: "Olle Mulmo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:12:24 +0100

FYI and semi-off topic: here are some "far out" ideas on semi-automated
evaluation of CPSes and on-the-fly key installation/CA trust:

http://forge.gridforum.org/projects/arrg-rg

/Olle

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 14:29
To: Anders Rundgren
Cc: [email-masked]; Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: Adding Metadata to PKI = ERROR?

> CA metadata can only help a [tiny] bit here.

I'd go one step further and suggest that the Certificate *is* meta-data=

---

From: "Anders Rundgren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:57:55 +0100

>Chris wrote:

In case you mean the CA-certificate, I'm with you.

But current CA-certificates do not contain much information,
the situation is technically similar to EDI where information
regarding message formats and functions is specified in EDI
agreements which is about the same as CP documents.

Metadata applied to PKI would be more like XML Schemas
containing machine- and human-readable properties regarding a
certain issuance and policy.  Such information could aid administration
and development, and may even be used at run-time to dig out
particular information from associated EE-certificates.

>Olle wrote:

Very interesting, they also mention the lack of machine-readable
CP/CPS info!  I believe Einstein said something about good ideas
coming to many heads when the idea is mature.  Well, that does
not make me to an Einstein...

Anders