Subject: Re: What is 20 octets ?

From: "Frank Balluffi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:06:49 -0500

Wahaj,

An octet is an eight-bit unit. So 20 octets is 20 eight-bit units. For 
more information about octets and ASN.1, see "A Layman's Guide ..." on 
http://www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/pkcs/index.html.

Frank

"Wahaj" <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
02/06/2004 10:39 AM

        To:     <[email-masked]>
        cc: 
        Subject:        What is 20 octets ?

Hi All,
 
In RFC 3280 Section 4.1.2.2  Serial number, it  is defined that the 
Conformant CAs MUST NOT use serialNumber values longer than  20 octets. 
Can any one explain what 20 octets mean ? Does it mean 20 characters  long 
Serial number in hex e.g. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF ? Similar is the case for 
CRL Number.
 
Thanks,
Wahaj

The following file(s) have been deleted by: Frank Balluffi on 2/6/2004 
12:00:16 PM

smime.p7s
smime.p7s