Subject: Re: Signing Untrusted SCVP?

From: David Engberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:49:32 -0400

My wife would disagree with the assertion that I get smarter with time.

Like I said, my company is happy with signed and cached responses as a 
second choice to improve SCVP DPD scalability.

I still believe that some large public deployments would be better off 
deploying true "Untrusted SCVP" servers with no client-trusted keys to 
manage and protect at every server.

If an Untrusted SCVP server's signing key is really important for 
security, then it must be really protected, which is generally tricky 
and expensive.

If an Untrusted SCVP server's signing key is not really important for 
security (i.e. if it is only mitigating one minor waste of client CPU), 
then the solution isn't to cheaply implement insecure keys.  The right 
solution is for a deployer to remove the key to dispel the illusion that 
the server should be "Trusted" as an independent PKI authority.

But we obviously disagree on this point, and I'll defer to the decision 
of the PKIX drafters and magistrates.

Trevor Freeman wrote:
> Dave,
> I hope with time we get smarter. Given weare discusting DPD, which
> mandated a lage amout of processing, with lots of signatue validations,
> I don't see any measuable benefit to htat kind of client. Given cached
> respocnes are now caterd for. What is the problems?

---

From: "Santosh Chokhani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:28:50 -0400

I would vote for this be to optional for both the client and the server.
Server should be apply the signature if it wants.

The client should be able to ignore the signature or unsigned responses if
it wants.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of David Engberg
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 6:50 PM
To: Trevor Freeman
Cc: Santosh Chokhani; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Signing Untrusted SCVP?

Trevor Freeman wrote:
> mandated a lage amout of processing, with lots of signatue 
> validations, I don't see any measuable benefit to htat kind of client. 
> Given cached respocnes are now caterd for. What is the problems?