Subject: Yet another nitty RFC 3280 bug

From: "Stefan Santesson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:00:30 +0100

When we are into filing small bugs, here is another one (unless already
noted):

Page 77:
  (h) If the issuer and subject names are not identical

I believe that this line means to say:
  (h) If the certificate is not self-issued

The term self-issued is defined with a slightly different definition,
adding the aspect that the names must not be empty.

Section 6:
   A certificate is self-issued if the DNs that appear in the subject
   and issuer fields are identical and are not empty.

Stefan Santesson
Microsoft Security Center of Excellence (SCOE)

---

From: Stephen Henson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:15:46 +0100

>    and issuer fields are identical and are not empty.

On the subject of "identical" should its use above be interpreted as
identical encodings of DNs or simply "matching" that is following the
name comparison rules mentioned in 4.1.2.4?

Steve.
-- 
Dr Stephen N. Henson.
Core developer of the   OpenSSL project: http://www.openssl.org/
Freelance consultant see: http://www.drh-consultancy.co.uk/
Email: [email-masked], PGP key: via homepage.