Subject: RE: SCVP

From: "Trevor Freeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:51:53 -0700

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Sean P. Turner
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 8:47 AM
To: [email-masked]; PKIX
Subject: SCVP

(sorry if any of these are duplicates)

Technical:

1.	How are the queriedCerts, checks, and wantBack correlated?  For
example: I send in four certs and I want a validated path back to the
root to be built, do I have to include id-stc-build-valid-pkc-path three
different times in checks?  Ditto for the wantBack if I want the same
thing back?  Or are we assuming all certs in querriedCerts will want the
same checks?  If it's the 1st I think that something like "For every
CertReference in queriedCerts, a corresponding check must be included"
(in 3.2.2) - ditto for wantBack (3.2.3) - or something like the "The 1st
value in queriedCerts corresponds to the 1st value in checks and
wantBack, the 2nd to the 2nd, etc."  If it's the later it ought to say
"Every certificate referred to in CertReference will have the same
checks and wantBacks applied" in 3.2.  I'm not picky about the
particular words as long as you get my drift.[TF]  fixed
2.	3.2.12 should we be referencing the string prep stuff in some
way?[TF]  I don't think so at this stage since all the defined usages
apply to ASCII strings.

Editorial:

1.	2. 3rd para replace "," at the end with "."[TF]  fixed
2.	3. 3rd para 2n sentence: "An overview of this structure is
provided below."  Can we add something like "The definitive ASN.1 is
found in [CMS]" after "many details are not shown"?  I know later on it
says the syntax and semantics are in [CMS] but I was hoping to see the
"definitive" part at the beginning and not the end.[TF]  fixed
3.	3. 2nd para after authenticatedData example: add space between
profile and [PKIX-1].[TF]  fixed
4.	3. 2nd para after authenticatedData example keyusage blurb: Move
period that is after non-repudiation to end of line.[TF]  fixed
5.	3.2.8 Any-Policy and Any-policy should be any-policy or is it
anypolicy?[TF]  fixed
6.	3.2.9 Add a space between extension and [PKIX... also add a
period after ].[TF]  fixed
7.	3.2.12.2 2nd para, remove space id-svp- and NameValAlg.[TF]
fixed
8.	3.2.17 and 18 Add space between extension and [PKIX-1...[TF]
fixed
9.	3.2.20 Add period to end of 2nd paragraph.[TF]  fixed
10.	3.6 Remove extra SCVP in 1st sentence.  Also remove
".validation" from the same sentence.[TF]  fixed
11.	4. Same as comment Ed #2.[TF]  fixed
12.	4.13 I think the apostrophe in client's shows up as  special
character.  Also add a period to the end of the paragraph.[TF]  fixed
13.	4.13.2 remove ".validation" from 1st sentence.[TF]  fixed
14.	9. Should we say that the following are in addition to the CMS
security considerations since this protocol is based on CMS?[TF]  fixed
15.	10.1 [OpenPGP] should be removed as a normative reference since
it's not referenced anywhere in the document.[TF]  fixed