Subject: What's mean about "bis" in the 2510bis?

From: "alan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:01:23 +0800

Hi,

      I usually found some "bis" in the IETF,such as draft-ietf-pkix-rfc2510bis.
      Who can tell me what's mean about "bis"?Thanks!

alan,

---

From: Paul Hoffman / VPNC <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 20:59:37 -0800

>       Who can tell me what's mean about "bis"?Thanks!

 From a future version of the Tao of the IETF:

    There are some informal rules for Internet Draft naming that have
    evolved over the years.  Internet Drafts that revise existing RFCs
    often have draft names with "bis" in them, meaning "the thing after
    the RFC"; for example, a draft might be called
    "draft-someone-rfc2345bis-00.txt".

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: "Wen-Cheng Wang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:05:11 +0800

In the following web pages, you can find more detail explanations
about the meaning of "bis":

http://www.groupstudy.com/archives/cisco/200107/msg01264.html

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/faq/index.php?sid=231127&aktion=artikel&rubrik=001&id=8&lang=en

"bis" is the latin adverb for "two". That is why "bis" is used in ID
naming to indicate that it a revision of an existing RFC.

Wen-Cheng Wang