Subject: Fwd: Posting of IPR Disclosure

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:19:24 -0400

The PKIX WG should be aware of this posting....

Russ

>Dear Russ Housley, Trevor Freeman, Ambarish Malpani:
>
>An IPR disclosure that pertains to your Internet-Draft entitled "Simple
>Certificate Validation Protocol (SCVP)" (draft-ietf-pkix-scvp) was 
>submitted to
>the IETF Secretariat on 2005-06-16 and has been posted on the "IETF Page of
>Intellectual Property Rights Disclosures"
>(https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_list.cgi). The title of the IPR
>disclosure is "CoreStreet, Ltd. Statement about IPR claimed in IETF's draft
>Simple Certificate Validation Protocol - draft-ietf-pkix-scvp-18 ("SCVP").."
>
>The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Jean-Marc Desperrier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:25:30 +0200

> The PKIX WG should be aware of this posting....

Maybe also of a little more details about it ?

>> Simple Certificate Validation Protocol - draft-ietf-pkix-scvp-18 
"CoreStreet believes an implementation of the SCVP standard (as 
currently drafted) need not necessarily infringe our patents"
"CoreStreet will negotiate royalty-bearing licenses of the Patents on 
reasonable and nondiscriminatory terms and conditions"
"CoreStreet will grant a royalty-free license for any claim(s) of the 
Patents that would otherwise be infringed by any product that implements 
an SCVP client, provided that the royalty-free license is restricted to 
such use."
"the following issued patents that may relate to the subject matter of 
the SCVP draft " :
U.S. Patent No. 5,717,758, U.S. Patent No. 5,717,757, U.S. Patent No. 
5,666,416

**/Patent 5,666,416, /*** September 9, 1997, **Abstract*
A method of managing certificates in a communication system having a 
certifying authority and a directory. Preferably, the method begins by 
having the certifying authority generate certificates by digitally 
signing a given piece of data. At a later point time, the certifying 
authority may produce a string that proves whether a particular 
certificate is currently valid without also proving the validity of at 
least some other certificates. The technique obviates use of 
certification revocation lists communicated between the certifying 
authority and the directory.

**/Patent 5,717,757, /*** February 10, 1998, **Abstract*
An authority provides authenticated information about a plurality of 
certificate identifiers by generating a data string identifying all the 
plurality of certificate identifiers and by having the authority 
authenticate one or more of the data string alone, the data string 
together with date information, or the data string together with 
additional information. The date information may include the date of 
authentication. The additional information may include a date of 
issuance of at least one of the certificates. The additional information 
may include certificate information about at least some of the issued 
certificates. The certificate information may include one or more of: 
revocation information or validity information of at least some of the 
issued certificates.

**/Patent 5,717,758, /*** February 10, 1998, **Abstract*
An intermediary provides certificate information by receiving from a 
first other entity authenticated certificate information, processing at 
least a portion of the authenticated certificate information to obtain 
deduced information, if the deduced information is consistent with the 
authenticated certificate information, having a witness construct 
authenticated deduced information by authenticating at least one of: the 
deduced information, the deduced information together with date 
information, and the deduced information together with additional 
information, and by providing the authenticated deduced information. The 
date information may be at least one of: the current date and date 
information of the authenticated certificate information. The witness 
may do the processing. The witness may be the intermediary. The 
authenticated certificate information and/or the authenticated deduced 
information may include a digital signature, which may be relative to a 
verification key that is part of an issued certificate and/or may be 
computed by applying a one-way function to one or more secret values or 
by iterating a one-way function. The digital signature may keep the 
witness accountable for the fact that the authenticated deduced 
information is consistent with the authenticated certificate information.