Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-sim-07.txt

From: "Denis Pinkas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:48:10 +0100

The introduction states:
    
  "This document defines the Subject Identification Method (SIM) for
   including a privacy sensitive identifier in the subjectAltName
   extension of a certificate.

   The SIM is an optional feature that may be used by relying parties to
   determine whether the subject of a particular certificate is also the
   person corresponding to a particular sensitive identifier".

The security recommendations section states:

   "Thus, this protocol MUST be used
   only with the protocols that make use of digital signatures generated
   using the subject's private key".

This is quite important, and thus the following sentence should be added to the introduction:

   This feature MUST be used only in conjunction with protocols that make use 
   of digital signatures generated using the subject's private key. 

Denis

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group of the IETF.
>
>	Title		: Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Subject Identification Method (SIM)
>	Author(s)	: J. Park, et al.
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-pkix-sim-07.txt
>	Pages		: 18
>	Date		: 2006-2-21
>	
>This document defines the Subject Identification Method (SIM) for
>including a privacy sensitive identifier in the subjectAltName
>extension of a certificate.
>
>The SIM is an optional feature that may be used by relying parties to
>determine whether the subject of a particular certificate is also the
>person corresponding to a particular sensitive identifier.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-sim-07.txt
>
>To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
>[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
>You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
>to change your subscription settings.
>
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-ietf-pkix-sim-07.txt".
>
>A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
>http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>
>
>Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
>
>Send a message to:
>	[email-masked].
>In the body type:
>	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-sim-07.txt".
>	
>NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>	how to manipulate these messages.
>		
>		
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>
>Content-Type: text/plain
>Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>
>
>ENCODING mime
>FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-sim-07.txt
>

Regards,

Denis Pinkas

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:36:33 -0500

>    of digital signatures generated using the subject's private key.

Denis,

I agree that the intro could be improved by adding the text you cite, 
although I will not require this change before sending the document 
to the IESG for review. This can be fixed during AUTH 48.

Steve