Subject: 3280bis : email address matching

From: "Denis Pinkas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:22:25 +0100

About Section 5.  Internationalized Electronic Mail Addresses.

Current text of 3280bis:

   Two email addresses are considered to match if:

      1) the local-part of each name is an exact match, AND
      2) the host-part of each name matches using a case-insensitive ASCII comparison.

RFC 2821 states:

   "The local-part of a mailbox MUST BE treated as case sensitive. 
   Therefore, SMTP implementations MUST take care to preserve the case 
   of mailbox local-parts. Mailbox domains are not case sensitive. 
   In particular, for some hosts the user "smith" is different from the user "Smith".
   However, exploiting the case sensitivity of mailbox local-parts impedes 
   interoperability and is discouraged".

In practice the local-part of an email address is case insensitive. 
I've not seen an Internet Service Provider that distinguished between 
upper- and lower-case letters in email addresses.

Since in this document there is no need to define a name matching rule 
for email addresses, I would propose to delete these two sentences and 
leave the issue for other specifications.

Denis

---

From: Tom Gindin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 14:07:23 -0500

Does anybody have experience with a CA which actually uses e-mail 
name constraints containing a full e-mail address rather than a host or 
domain?  It's true that name constraints for e-mail addresses may target a 
single address in a domain, but I don't understand why e-mail constraints 
need to be that fine-grained while URI name constraints may only target 
the host part of the URI (not even the protocol is permitted).  This is 
especially the case for case-sensitive matches since most actual RFC 822 
addresses seem to be effectively case-insensitive and a case-sensitive 
excludedSubtree governing a case-insensitive naming space is not much use.

                Tom Gindin

Alan Sill <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
02/17/2006 01:13 AM
 
        To:     "Stefan Santesson" <[email-masked]>
        cc:     "Denis Pinkas" <[email-masked]>, Alan Sill 
<[email-masked]>, "pkix" <[email-masked]>
        Subject:        Re: 3280bis : email address matching

What about the case sensitivity question?

I believe I have already seen an example of an e-mail address that does
not verify because the case of the address in the certificate does not
match the one in the "From:" address field.

On Feb 16, 2006, at 6:03 PM, Stefan Santesson wrote:

> Denis wrote;
> Actually, there is. Name constraints have to specify matching for
> e-mail
> addresses.
>
>
>
> Stefan Santesson
> Program Manager, Standards Liaison
> Windows Security
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of Denis Pinkas
> Sent: den 16 februari 2006 07:22
> To: pkix
> Subject: 3280bis : email address matching
>
>

Alan Sill
TIGRE Senior Scientist
High Performance Computing Center
TTU

====================================================================
:  Alan Sill, Texas Tech University  Office: Admin 233, MS 4-1167  :
:  e-mail: [email-masked]   ph. 806-742-4350  fax 806-742-4358  :
====================================================================

#### smime.p7s has been removed from this note on February 18, 2006 by Tom 
Gindin