Subject: Protocol Action: 'Using the GOST R 34.10-94, GOST R 34.10-2001 and GOST R 34.11-94 algorithms with the Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and CRL Profile.' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 15:58:15 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Using the GOST R 34.10-94, GOST R 34.10-2001 and GOST R 34.11-94 algorithms 
   with the Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and CRL 
   Profile. '
   <draft-ietf-pkix-gost-cppk-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Sam Hartman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-gost-cppk-05.txt

Technical Summary

  This document describes how to use Russian national cryptographic
  standards for two digital signature algorithms and one hash algorithm
  with X.509 certificates, as specified by the PKIX WG in RFC 3280.  The
  document specifies the object identifiers (OIDs) for these algorithms
  and the parameter encodings used when they are employed as hash and
  signature algorithms for signing certificates and CRLs.  This document
  also describes appropriate keyUsage values for certificates when the
  certificates carry public signature keys for the signature algorithms.
  Finally, this document provides two sample certificates, each
  represented as an ASN.1 DER-encoded string with accompanying ASN.1
  decoding of each field.  Each certificate is signed using the GOST
  hash algorithm and one of the two signature algorithms, and contains a
  public key for the corresponding algorithm.

Working Group Summary

  The PKIX WG expressed consensus to advance this document.  Initially
  this document was expected to be an Informational RFC, but when the
  PKIX WG Chair suggested that this document become a Standards Track
  RFC, there was no objection.

Protocol Quality

  This document has been reviewed by members of the PKIX WG mailing list
  and by the PKIX WG Chairs.  The ASN.1 for the examples was verified,
  but only the authors attempted to verify the hash or signature values
  since implementations of these algorithms were not readily available.

  This document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.