Subject: My role in PKIX...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:35:27 -0500

Folks,

I have been struggling to fulfill my responsibilities as co-chair of the PKIX
working group for some time.  Over the past two years, the Computer Security 
Division at NIST has been tasked with a number of high visibility government-
centric projects.  For my part, I have been tasked with additional 
responsibilities in several of these new projects.  To compound matters, some 
old responsibilities have become more demanding.

In combination, I have found myself entirely oversubscribed.  My "To Do" list is 
absolutely out of control, and I find that I have become the bottleneck on a 
number of projects.  This is bad for NIST, bad for the IETF, and bad for PKIX.  
I had hoped that the impact of these projects would be temporary, and that I 
would soon be free to concentrate on the IETF again.  I have since recognized 
that these new projects are not temporary; I do not have the time to devote to 
PKIX that the co-chair position deserves.

As a result, I have asked Russ Housley to find a replacement for me as PKIX co-
chair.  This was a painful decision, but I could not come up with a realistic 
alternative.  I will continue to serve as co-chair until a replacement is found, 
and intend to continue contributing as a WG member.  (I can't give up PKIX 
*entirely*.)

It has been my great pleasure to serve as co-chair for PKIX these last few 
years.  It has been a truly wonderful experience.  I would particularly like to 
thank Steve Kent for his assistance and direction; I have benefited greatly from 
his experience.  I am looking forward to continuing my participation as a member 
of the WG.

Thanks,

Tim Polk

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 00:48:29 -0500

Many thanks to Tim for his contributions to PKIX as co-chair.  I am 
pleased that we are not loosing his contribution entirely.

If you are interested in the soon-to-be-vacant PKIX co-chair 
position, please see me at the IETF meeting or send me an email note this week.

Russ