Subject: PKI Disaster Recovery and Key Rollover

From: "Denis Pinkas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:52:56 +0200

To the WG,

I edited together with Joel Kazin an individual Internet-Draft that has been placed on the IETF web server.
The target category is INFORMATIONAL.

The abstract is the following:

   This document presents a framework to assist the writers of policy 
   or practice statements and the designers of a Public Key 
   Infrastructure to prepare disaster recovery plans in case of a
   private key-compromise or a private key-loss.  This may happen to 
   end-entity keys, Certification Authorities, Revocation Authorities, 
   Attribute Authorities, or Time-Stamping Authorities.  Since 
   certificates have finite validity, CA key-rollover should be 
   planned in advance. 

   In addition, denial of service attacks on Repositories holding 
   CRLs has also to be considered.

   This framework provides a comprehensive list of potential key-
   compromise or key-loss conditions that, in the opinion of the 
   authors, should be addressed so that it is possible to quickly 
   recover from exceptional situations.

The document is available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/draft-pinkas-pkix-pki-dr&kr/

I ask the WG to consider whether this document should be progressed 
as an individual contribution or as a PKIX WG document.

I will not be present at the next meeting, but I plan to prepare a few slides to present the draft.

To this respect, I ask whether it would be possible to get a time slot (5 minutes) 
at the next meeting. 

Denis

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 12:22:17 -0400

I do not know if we want to accept this document or not.  I have not 
read it yet.  However, if we do, I suggest that we select a file name 
without an ampersand in it.

Russ

---

From: Stefan Santesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 02:48:47 +0100

The link seems not to work either.

Stefan Santesson
Senior Program Manager
Windows Security, Standards

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:owner-ietf-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Russ Housley
> Sent: den 29 juni 2007 18:22
> To: Denis Pinkas; pkix
> Cc: Joel Kazin
> Subject: Re: PKI Disaster Recovery and Key Rollover
>
>