Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-ecc-subpubkeyinfo-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Elliptic Curve Cryptography Subject Public Key Information
	Author(s)	: S. Turner, K. Yiu, D. Brown, R. Housley, W. Polk
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pkix-ecc-subpubkeyinfo-04.txt
	Pages		: 25
	Date		: 2008-3-11
	
This document specifies the syntax and semantics for the Subject 
   Public Key Information field in certificates that support Elliptic 
   Curve Cryptography.  This document updates RFC 3279.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-ecc-subpubkeyinfo-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Turner, Sean P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:20:36 -0400

This draft:

 - removes text from 2.1.1.2.3 that did not belong (from Alfred Hines - I
should have fixed this in the last version)

 - adds the ecDH and ecMQV "family" OIDs (thanks Dan)

 - changes text to correctly indicate the first byte of the key (not the
first two) indicates whether the key is compressed or not.

 - adds an ASN.1 module.  The module compiles with the a2c compiler (I just
stuck in a dummy oid for the module). During the ASN.1 compile I ran in two
errors: 1) I consistently message up the extensibility by having |... as
opposed to ,... (changed this throughout the document) 2) the
SpecifiedCurverVersion, which is an INTEGER, was incorrectly made extensible
with ,... (fixed now).

If there are no comments on the ASN.1 module, then the only remaining item
is to get an OID for the ASN.1 module.

spt

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] 
>[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of 
>[email-masked]
>Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:45 PM
>To: [email-masked]
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-ecc-subpubkeyinfo-04.txt 
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line 
>Internet-Drafts directories.
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail 
>reader implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII 
>version of the Internet-Draft.
>

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:46:20 -0400

1.  I would omit SubjectPublicKeyInfo from the ASN.1 module.  At a minimum
it needs to be tagged as duplicate ASN.1.  It is fine to put it into the
text, but you are not updating 3280bis.

2.  Extensibility on ECPKAlgorithms depends on if you think that a future
version adding additional ECC algorithms would update/replace this document
or create a new document just for those new algorithms.  If the former then
it should be extensible, if the later then it should not be extensible.

3.  Please talk to Paul Hoffman and myself about the prefixes we are looking
at for putting on objects for easy identification of the object type
(similar to id- for all object identifiers).

4.  Let's talk about the possibility of using extensibility in ASN.1 to
reflect the MUST/SHOULD & MAY levels.

5.  If I do an extension of SpecifiedCurve, do you think that I should
change the value of version?  If yes then it should not have a constraint on
this field.

6.  Need to be more specific about how the update to SpecifiedCurveVersion
is to be done and registered.  Who actually owns this OID and structure?

7.  How is one suppose to determine the recipient's ability to process
absent parameters for hash functions?   This statement would make me always
include the NULL parameters just in case.

8.  It is not clear to me that if you are going to update 3279, you should
not be forced to replace the entire ASN.1 module of 3279 in this document.
Otherwise you get into the situation where one needs to a Chinese menu of
selection from the module.

Jim

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:owner-ietf-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Turner, Sean P.
> Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 5:21 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-ecc-subpubkeyinfo-04.txt
> 
> 
> This draft:
>

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:15:09 -0700

>  - adds an ASN.1 module....

Can you (or anybody else) please translate this ASN.1 into
the older 1988 syntax?

Thanks,

Mike