Subject: Re: consistent use of top-level oid branch name joint-iso-itu-t(2)

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:34:56 +0100 (MEZ)

Russ,
thanks for your response.

> Alfred:
>
> This is a result of the name change from CCITT to ITU-T.  So,
> different documents use different names depending on when they were
> published.  The bits on the wire are not impacted, so I have never
> worried about it.
>
> Russ

I am fully aware of the history, but that change is back quite
a couple of years now.  IIRC, that must have been more than 15 years
ago; in particular, the X.680 1994 Edition (== ISO/IEC 8824-1:1995)
already specified the new name(s) as the primary identifier(s).

My arguments are primarily:

o   avoiding possible confusion;

o   making new documents easier to read for newcomers not aware
    of the history of the ITU-T;

o   self-consistency within new documents (a major goal of RFC Editor
    policy);

o   consistency within the set of related document revisions
    currently in progress;

o   using current terminology and names in new documents;

o   referring to the new name when making citations of the X.680
    series of IUT-T Recommendations (and that's the way SMIME and
    PKIX are moving forward).

Kind regards,
  Alfred.