Subject: RE: User certificates

From: "Moudrick M. Dadashov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:05:16 +0200

Is 'user certificate' the same as 'end entity' certificate used more often?

M.D.
Cell: +370-699-26662 

-original message-
Subject: User certificates
From: "Erik Andersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: 24.03.2009 16:00

The term "user certificate" is used in X.509 (and X.511) without being
defined. I assume that a user certificate is a public-key certificate issued
to  an end-user. There is an attribute type called userCertificate, which
has the syntax of public-key certificates. It seems therefore clear that a
user certificate cannot be an attribute certificate.

In the "8.6.2.7 AA Issuing Distribution Point extension" the term user
certificate is mentioned in last the paragraph just before the three notes.
Is that correct?

The term "user certificate" should be defined.

Any comments?

Erik Andersen

Andersen's L-Service

Elsevej 48, DK-3500 Vaerloese

Denmark

Mobile: +45 2097 1490

email: [email-masked]

www.x500.eu

www.x500standard.com