Subject: [pkix] I-D Action:draft-ietf-pkix-rfc5280-clarifications-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:15:15 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Clarifications to the Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and Certificate Revocation List (CRL) Profile
	Author(s)       : D. Cooper
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pkix-rfc5280-clarifications-00.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2010-04-12

This document updates the Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure
Certificate and Certificate Revocation List (CRL) Profile, which is
published in RFC 5280.  This document changes the set of acceptable
encoding methods for the explicitText field of the user notice policy
qualifier and clarifies the rules for converting internationalized
domain name labels to ASCII.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-rfc5280-clarifications-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "David A. Cooper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 18:01:11 -0400

All of the votes with respect to encoding of the explicit text field in
user notice policy qualifiers were in favor of allowing the use of
BMPString.  So, I changed the text to read as follows:

|     An explicitText field includes the textual statement directly in

|     the certificate.  The explicitText field is a string with a

|     maximum size of 200 characters.  Conforming CAs SHOULD use the

|     UTF8String encoding for explicitText, but MAY use VisibleString or

|     BMPString.  Conforming CAs MUST NOT encode explicitText as

|     IA5String.  The explicitText string SHOULD NOT include any control

|     characters (e.g., U+0000 to U+001F and U+007F to U+009F).  When

|     the UTF8String encoding is used, all character sequences SHOULD be

|     normalized according to Unicode normalization form C (NFC) [NFC].

I have one question though.  Should the final sentence be changed to
read:

When the UTF8String or BMPString
encoding is used, all character sequences

SHOULD be normalized according to Unicode normalization form C
(NFC) [NFC].

Dave