Subject: [pkix] draft-ietf-pkix-rfc5280-clarifications-01 and IDNA 2008

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:06:07 +0200 (MESZ)

Recently, the original IDNA document set, including RFC 3490,
has been obsoleted by the IDNA 2008 document set, RFCs 5890 ff.,
as described in RFC 5890 and the informational RFC 5894.

draft-ietf-pkix-rfc5280-clarifications-01 addresses references
to RFC 3490 in RFC 5280, and therefore, the use of the obsoleted
IDNA 2003 in RFC 5280 should be reconsidered.
A reference to an obsoleted specification would likely be an obstacle
for advancing RFC 5280.

As a related, subtle question regarding (indirect) citations:
Should the draft make informative reference(s) to
  a) RFC 3490  and/or
  b) RFC 5890 and RFC 5891  ?
Note that [NFC] in 6.2 already is one such indirect reference.

Nits:
-  I'd suggest to use the current (shorter) boilerplate text for the
   front matter (Status of this Memo).
-  In the 2nd para of the Introduction, please correct the
   singular/plural mismatch:
     s/certification authorities (CA)/certification authorities (CAs)/
                             ^^^  ^^                        ^^^  ^^^

Kind regards,
  Alfred Hönes.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+