Subject: [pkix] Question on RFC 5055

From: "Santosh Chokhani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 22:55:03 -0400

The SCVP request structure has the want back optional.

What should the response contain if want back was absent in the request?
An empty SEQUENCE?

Santosh Chokhani
CygnaCom Solutions

---

From: "David A. Cooper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:00:14 -0400

On 10/25/2010 10:55 PM, Santosh Chokhani wrote:
> What should the response contain if want back was absent in the 
> request?  An empty SEQUENCE?
>

Yes.  Section 4.9.5 of RFC 5055 says:

    For a non-error response, replyWantBacks MUST include
    exactly one ReplyWantBack for each wantBack specified
    in the request (excluding id-swb-pkc-cert and id-swb-ac-cert,
    where the requested information is included in the cert item).

The replyWantBacks field of CertReply holds a "SEQUENCE OF 
ReplyWantBack", and replyWantBacks is NOT marked as OPTIONAL.  So, if 
wantBack field in the request was absent (or present but did not contain 
any wantBacks other than id-swb-pkc-cert or id-swb-ac-cert) then 
replyWantBacks MUST contain an empty SEQUENCE.

Dave

---

From: "Santosh Chokhani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:01:20 -0400

Sir,

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: David A. Cooper [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:00 AM
To: Santosh Chokhani
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [pkix] Question on RFC 5055

Dave