Subject: [pkix] Progressing SCEP to RFC

From: Anders Rundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 23:10:28 +0100

I don't see why competing standards present a problem.
If so the question is really: for *whom* is it a problem?
In the case of SCEP it is also a de-facto standard.
It is also import to realize that there is considerable competition 
between SDOs these days.

Regarding the mentioned possible improvements in CMP etc. I think
that the promoters of such an effort must be aware of that they would
start in a non-favorable situation where companies like Apple and
Google with little effort brings out new things in a pace that no
SDO could ever match.

They are setting the new de-facto standards in a world that isn't
interested in waiting 3-5 years on something that may not even
get widely implemented like SCVP.

An example which probably is way more advanced than current
IETF enrollment schemes, at least for client devices:
http://www.smartcardstrends.com/det_atc.php?idu=13258

True standardization is BTW just one option among many.
Open Source projects and Major vendor solutions etc. are often
equally good and in many cases better since the code usually
has been verified to work as well...

I think that it is time for PKIX to change the charter to:
"maintenance of the core documents".

--Anders