Subject: [pkix] [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC5280 (4274)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 14:14:49 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been held for document update 
for RFC5280, "Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and Certificate Revocation List (CRL) Profile". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5280&eid=4274

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Editorial

Reported by: Ilya V. Matveychikov <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2015-02-19
Held by: Kathleen Moriarty (IESG)

Section: A.1

Original Text
-------------
-- Naming attributes of type X520CommonName:
--   X520CommonName ::= DirectoryName (SIZE (1..ub-common-name))

...

-- Naming attributes of type X520LocalityName:
--   X520LocalityName ::= DirectoryName (SIZE (1..ub-locality-name))

...

-- Naming attributes of type X520StateOrProvinceName:
--   X520StateOrProvinceName ::= DirectoryName (SIZE (1..ub-state-name))

...

-- Naming attributes of type X520OrganizationName:
--   X520OrganizationName ::=
--          DirectoryName (SIZE (1..ub-organization-name))

...

-- Naming attributes of type X520OrganizationalUnitName:
--   X520OrganizationalUnitName ::=
--          DirectoryName (SIZE (1..ub-organizational-unit-name))

...

-- Naming attributes of type X520Title:
--   X520Title ::= DirectoryName (SIZE (1..ub-title))

...

-- Naming attributes of type X520Pseudonym:
--   X520Pseudonym ::= DirectoryName (SIZE (1..ub-pseudonym))

Corrected Text
--------------
-- Naming attributes of type X520CommonName:
--   X520CommonName ::= DirectoryString (SIZE (1..ub-common-name))

...

-- Naming attributes of type X520LocalityName:
--   X520LocalityName ::= DirectoryString (SIZE (1..ub-locality-name))

...

-- Naming attributes of type X520StateOrProvinceName:
--   X520StateOrProvinceName ::=
--          DirectoryString (SIZE (1..ub-state-name))

...

-- Naming attributes of type X520OrganizationName:
--   X520OrganizationName ::=
--          DirectoryString (SIZE (1..ub-organization-name))

...

-- Naming attributes of type X520OrganizationalUnitName:
--   X520OrganizationalUnitName ::=
--          DirectoryString (SIZE (1..ub-organizational-unit-name))

...

-- Naming attributes of type X520Title:
--   X520Title ::= DirectoryString (SIZE (1..ub-title))

...

-- Naming attributes of type X520Pseudonym:
--   X520Pseudonym ::= DirectoryString (SIZE (1..ub-pseudonym))

Notes
-----
Appendix B.  ASN.1 Notes says that:

   For many of the attribute types defined in [X.520], the
   AttributeValue uses the DirectoryString type.  Of the attributes
   specified in Appendix A, the name, surname, givenName, initials,
   generationQualifier, commonName, localityName, stateOrProvinceName,
   organizationName, organizationalUnitName, title, and pseudonym
   attributes all use the DirectoryString type.  X.520 uses a
   parameterized type definition [X.683] of DirectoryString to specify
   the syntax for each of these attributes.  The parameter is used to
   indicate the maximum string length allowed for the attribute.  In
   Appendix A, in order to avoid the use of parameterized type
   definitions, the DirectoryString type is written in its expanded form
   for the definition of each of these attribute types.  So, the ASN.1
   in Appendix A describes the syntax for each of these attributes as
   being a CHOICE of TeletexString, PrintableString, UniversalString,
   UTF8String, and BMPString, with the appropriate constraints on the
   string length applied to each of the types in the CHOICE, rather than
   using the ASN.1 type DirectoryString to describe the syntax.

There is nothing about DirectoryName type here. So comments in ASN.1 in
A.1 are wrong and DirectoryName should be fixed to DirectoryString.

>From Expert PKIX reviewers:
The errata calls for changing "DirectoryName" to "DirectoryString" in the comments
of the ASN.1. Nobody seems to disagree with this correction.

This message triggered a lot of discussion about whether to remove the string size limits.
That discussion ended with consensus to retain the size limits.

--------------------------------------
RFC5280 (draft-ietf-pkix-rfc3280bis-11)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and Certificate Revocation List (CRL) Profile
Publication Date    : May 2008
Author(s)           : D. Cooper, S. Santesson, S. Farrell, S. Boeyen, R. Housley, W. Polk
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509)
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG