Subject: [pkix] IPR Disclosure Patent and IP Recoveries Grup LLC's Statement about IPR related to RFC 3161, draft-ietf-pkix-rfc3161bis, and Secure Timestamping and related services including information access control

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2020 13:43:56 -0800

Dear Robert Zuccherato, Patrick Cain, Dr. Carlisle Adams, Denis Pinkas:

An IPR disclosure that pertains to your RFC entitled "Internet X.509 Public
Key Infrastructure Time-Stamp Protocol (TSP)" (RFC3161) was submitted to the
IETF Secretariat on 2020-11-06 and has been posted on the "IETF Page of
Intellectual Property Rights Disclosures"
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/4464/). The title of the IPR disclosure is
"Patent and IP Recoveries Grup LLC's Statement about IPR related to RFC 3161,
draft-ietf-pkix-rfc3161bis, and Secure Timestamping and related services
including information access control"

Thank you

IETF Secretariat

---

From: Peter Gutmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 03:51:30 +0000

IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]> writes:

>Intellectual Property Rights Disclosures" (
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/4464/).

Uhh... that leads to a long-expired patent, issued after 3161 was published,
for something that only has a vague resemblance to what 3161 does.  Is this
meant as an alertness test for readers?

Peter.

---

From: Denis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 10:15:21 +0100

As co-editor of this RFC, I noticed that the first claim of this patent 
(US 6,370,629 B1) is the following:

    What is claimed is:

      1. A method for controlling access to Stored information comprising:

    -determining an actual geographic position where Said Stored
    information is located based on Signals received at a receiver
    Supplying reliable position information;

    -cryptographically signing Said actual geographic position with a
    receiver encryption key;

    -Verifying the Signature of Said actual geographic position;
    determining that Said actual geographic position is within a
    geographic region within which access to Said Stored information is
    authorized;

    -and permitting access to Said Stored information.

US patent number 6,370,629 B1 has nothing to do with RFC 3161: RFC 3161 
does not make use of any GPS signal to indicate an actual geographical 
position.
RFC 3161 is not either "a method for controlling access to Stored 
information."

Denis Pinkas

> _______________________________________________
> pkix mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pkix