Subject: [pmtud] Comments on draft-mathis-pmtud-method-00.txt

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:16:57 +0200

Hi,

Here is some comments on the PMTUD draft. I will further try to clearify 
some things that I said in the meeting, plus give a few more editorial 
comments.

1. I hope that the authors will go over the draft in regards to ID-nits. 
There seem to be missing the right page break characters, missing 
sections, etc.

2. Please restructure the document into something more like:
Introduction & Background
Basic method description/definition.
How to apply method for protocol:
TCP
DCCP
RTP/RTCP over UDP
etc.

This will help solving the current problem that the method are described 
as being very TCP specific while it is not.

3. How does one handle multi homed host when using this method?

4. The method seems to be applicable for RTP/RTCP (RFC 1889, or rather 
draft-ietf-avt-rtp-new-12.txt which is in the AUTH48) when using RTCP 
extension for ACK and packet vectors. This extensions are defined in 
draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-feedback-07.txt and draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-xr-06.txt 
and currently with the IESG. However when sending real-time media over 
the network it might be questionable to use real media packets as probe 
packets as their loss will directly effect the receivers media quality. 
When defining how to use PMTUD. one might consider if some dummy data 
should in fact be used.

Best Regards

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
pmtud mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pmtud