Subject: [pmtud] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pmtud-method-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Path MTU Discovery Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Path MTU Discovery
	Author(s)	: M. Mathis, J. Heffner
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pmtud-method-05.txt
	Pages		: 31
	Date		: 2005-10-25
	
This document describes a robust method for Path MTU Discovery that
   relies on TCP or some other Packetization Layer to probe an Internet
   path with progressively larger packets.  This method is described as
   an extension to RFC 1191 and RFC 1981, which specify ICMP based Path
   MTU Discovery for IP versions 4 and 6, respectively.

   The general strategy of the new algorithm is to start with a small
   MTU and search upward, testing successively larger MTUs by probing
   with single packets.  If the probe is successfully delivered and
   satisfies a subsequent verification phase then the MTU is raised.  If
   the probe is lost, it is treated as an MTU limitation and not as a
   congestion signal.

   There are several options for integrating PLPMTUD with classical path
   MTU discovery.  PLPMTUD can be minimally configured to perform ICMP
   black hole recovery to increase the robustness of classical path MTU
   discovery, or ICMP processing can be completely disabled, and PLPMTUD
   can completely replace classical path MTU discovery.

   In the latter configuration, PLPMTUD exactly parallels congestion
   control.  An end-to-end transport protocol adjusts non-protocol
   properties of the data stream (window size or packet size) while
   using packet losses to deduce the appropriateness of the adjustments.
   This technique seems to be more philosophically consistent with the
   end-to-end principle than relying on ICMP messages containing
   transcribed headers of multiple protocol layers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pmtud-method-05.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pmtud-method-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pmtud-method-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
pmtud mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pmtud