Subject: core-schema questions

From: "Fairbanks, Gwenyth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:55:18 -0500

I am somewhat confused on the choices of Possible Superiors made in a few
places in the (latest) core-schema draft. 

The draft seems to suggest that a policyRule could stand alone, yet its
possible superior lists only policyGroup. Why not allow other containers to
be superiors (org, org unit, etc.)

If conditions and actions can only have a policyRule as their superior, it
seems somewhat redundant to also list them as attributes of the policyRule,
although I can imagine there is an efficiency motivation there.  However, it
does make me wonder how people imagine sharing some of these instances among
rules.  The policyTimePeriodCondition particularly comes to mind as a
condition where a particular instance might be referenced by multiple rules.
Is it expected that one would create a special "template" rule instance that
would contain reusable conditions (and actions)?  Otherwise, you get into
funny situations where you might want to delete a rule no longer in use, but
it happens to contain a ptp that you had reused elsewhere.

What am I missing?

Gwen Fairbank,  Data Networking Systems, LPG, Network Management Engineering
*:Lucent Technologies Inc., 300 Baker Ave. Suite 100, Concord, MA 01742-2168
*:(978) 287-9185    *:(978) 287-9050     *:[email-masked]