Subject: Re: Communication between Policy Servers

From: "Joon Maeng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 09:28:24 -0500

Thanks Shai,
I think I should be more specific about the problem I am interested in solving.
I envision that there will be two ways to pay for QoS services similar to PTSN
(I am going to ignore other billing methods for now for my discussion).  When I
make long distance calls to my parents, the bills come to me.  When I make calls
to 1-800 numbers, the bills go to the owner of the 1-800 number.  Suppose there
are multiple domains with a policy server in each domain.  The server that
provides a service in Domain A is willing to pay the bills for the QoS  between
the server and a host in Domain C.  When the host in Domain C requests a service
to the server, it will initiates a QoS (RSVP or Diffserv) in Domain C and the
policy server in Domain C may not give a QoS admission  to the host since it
does not know that the server in Domain A will pay for it.  I would expect  that
policy servers have to talk to resolve the problem.  The host in Domain C may
have to tell the policy server in Domain C,  "Go to talk to the policy server in
Domain A  and it will pay for my QoS request".   There are other reasons why
policy servers have to talk.

I am interested in setting up a small off-line discussion group to determine if
inter-policy server communications is needed and what should be done if  the
answer is yes.   Please email me if you are interested.   Thanks.
Regards,
Joon

Shai Herzog <[email-masked]> on 05/20/99 11:18:57 AM

To:   Joon Maeng/AUS/VTEL, [email-masked], [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  Re: Communication between Policy Servers

There are three points of such standardization:

1. Policy Data carried by RSVP is a basic means of in-band
   communications between PDPs, in real time. (PSs).

2. The Bandwidth Brokerage (Internet2) concept should lead to
   somewhat equivalent results for Diff-Serv. It provides inter-domain
   explicitly QoS signalling.

3. LDAP/DEN Schema @ the Policy WG.

   The assumption is that policy servers could each other's policy
   information in NON-REAL-TIME (this is critical). Please don't try to
   use LDAP for real-time communications or synchronization between policy
   systems.

Currently, there is no protocol endorsed for PS-to-PS communications,
although some advocate using COPS for it.

Shai

At 09:30 AM 5/20/99, Joon Maeng wrote:
>Hi folks.  Is anyone aware of standardization efforts on communication between
>policy servers?  Thanks.
>Regards,
>Joon

__________________________________________________________
Shai Herzog                  Founder & CTO, IPHighway Inc.
Cell: (408) 390-3045       http://www.iphighway.com/herzog
Tel : (201) 585-0800                  Fax : (212) 656-1006

---

From: "He Huang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 11:02:39 -0400

Hi, Joon,

> answer is yes.   Please email me if you are interested.   Thanks.

Please count me in.

By the way, BBN's security policy protocol(SPP) seems to provide a feasible
solution for how inter policy servers coordinate their security actions by
exchanging IP security policy for a particular communication. It could be
extended for general application.

Regards,

He Huang

-- 
He Huang