Subject: Posting of Inappropriate Draft to Policy Frameworks Home Page

From: Ed Ellesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 16:16:55 -0400

Dear Policy Enthusiasts:  

Please take note that the document recently posted to the IETF Policy
Frameworks home page, titled "Designing Directory Schemata for General
Use", was posted there by mistake, and the file name should not have
included the word "policy", which is the shortform name of our working
group.  This document is an individual submission.  To quote from the
appropriate IETF guidelines: "you must have the consent of your working
group chair, and the working charter needs to have a corresponding work
item, to consider your document a working group document."  We, the chairs,
consider this document to be out of scope as a work item for the policy
frameworks working group, since it attempts to address general schema
design principles, and not just those relevant to policy. 

John and Ed
Co-chairs, Policy Framework Working Group

---

From: Steven Judd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 13:48:27 -0700

Ed -

It was certainly not my intent to misrepresent this draft as a WG document.
To quote from the IESG guidelines on document titles
(http://www.ietf.org/ID-nits.html). flagged with ->>>:

==========================================
Notes on the IESG review procedure
Naming your Internet Draft
The IETF generally uses this convention for Internet Draft file names. NN is
a sequence number, starting from 00 and monotonically increasing. 
  
Independent submissions: 
Draft-<author name>-<descriptive text>-NN.txt 
Example: draft-baker-spam-what-am-00.txt
 
->>> Independent submissions to a working group 
->>> Draft-<author name>-<working group>-<descriptive text>-NN.txt 
->>> Example: draft-baker-spamwg-spam-what-am-not-00.txt 

Working Group documents 
Draft-ietf-<working group>-descriptive text>-NN.txt 
Example: draft-ietf-spamwg-how-to-send-spam-00.txt 

You must have the consent of your working group chair, and the working
charter needs to have a corresponding work item, to consider your document a
working group document. Individual submissions (whether general or to a
working group) may be made without prior notice, but unless you ask someone
to do something with them, nothing further will be done.
============================================

As you know, I did ask you and John about considering this draft, and you
declined since you felt it was out of scope.  However, since I thought it
would be of interest to the Policy Framework WG, I submitted it as an
individual submission to the WG, per the IESG guidelines, and made this
clear in my message to the RFC editor (included below).  You will note that
the name requested is in the form required for individual submissions.

tx,

-s

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The attached Informational Internet-draft,
draft-judd-policy-ldap-schema-design-00.txt, is an individual submission to
the Policy Framework working group.

Abstract 

   This document is intended to aid in the design of directory schemata 
   for implementation on diverse directory services that support the 
   LDAP (RFC 2251 et al.) protocol as their primary access mechanism.  
   It is not specific to any directory service implementation. 

Thanks,

Steven G. Judd
Microsoft Corporation
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Ellesson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 28, 1999 1:17 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; Steven Judd
Subject: Posting of Inappropriate Draft to Policy Frameworks Home Page

Dear Policy Enthusiasts:  

John and Ed