Subject: draft-strassner-policy-terms-01.txt

From: [email-masked] (SteveJ)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:40:31 -0700

Hi John,

 I just got through your latest terms draft
(draft-strassner-policy-terms-01.txt), and had a question/comment about
section 7.3 - How a Policy Is Triggered.

I'm still struggling with the concept of dynamic policies.  In our
implementation, there's no such thing - an action is triggered based on an
event for all policy types.  Events can be pretty much anything. Our policy
agent toolkit lets you define events and you can write custom triggers based
on pretty much anything that can happen.

You describe static policies as policies which could involve time of day.
For time of day, we set timers to trigger when a policy expires and this
constitutes an event to turn off the policy.  Similarly, we support
congestion notification via a process which monitors network load then
triggers an event when certain pre-set thresholds are exceeded.  The
resultant actions are just based on preset (static) policies.  e.g. provide
this set of bandwidth limits to these users/applications at this time of day
when this threshold is reached (event triggered) and another set when other
thresholds are reached (or another set based on time of day,
users/applications/destinations, etc) - it's still a static set of
policies - it just has different triggers/events.

I suppose I could see definition of a static policy as one that is always in
effect, so other than that, if an event is involved in static policies,
aren't all policies static, and if not, aren't all policies dynamic?

Thoughts/comments?  Is this just too much of a nit to pursue?

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------
Steve Jackowski
President/CEO
Deterministic Networks, Inc.
245M Mt. Hermon Rd. #140
Scotts Valley, Ca 95066

Office: (831) 421-0388 x18
Home office: (831) 426-4001
Mobile: (408) 813-6294
Fax: (831) 421-0394