Subject: ManagedElement

From: "Kei Kato" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 11:16:12 +0900

Hi all,

I have a question about the draft Policy Core Info Model
( draft-ietf-policy-core-info-model-02.txt). In page 10 of this draft 
depicts Overview of the Core Policy Classes and Relationships(Fig.1).
In the center of this figure shows the box called ManagedElement 
and this is being discussed in DMTFs user WG I understand. But 
what's the difference between ManagedElement and ManagedSystemElement?
in CIMv2.2 there is only ManagedSystemElement, not ManagedElement. I'd 
be glad to have your comments.

--
Kei Kato
Network Systems Business Group        Oki Electric Industry
Phone: +81-43-296-2211(Ex.4343)  Fax: +81-43-296-2368

---

From: Kentaro Fujinuma <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 02:48:27 +0900

On <[email-masked]>
   In "ManagedElement"

> Hi all,

Hi. It is funny that two Japanese discuss by English. :-)

> be glad to have your comments.

In CIM tutorial on DMTF web site, there is explanation about 
differences between ManagedElement and ManagedSystemElement. 
I think this page helps you resolving your question.
http://www.dmtf.org/educ/tutorials/cim/using/struc.html

Quotation from this page:
> Possible extensions include the addition of a Managed Element class 
> as an abstraction of the Managed System Element class. Descendents 
> of this Managed Element class, that is, classes that represent objects 
> outside the managed system domain, may be added to the Core model. 
> For example, it will be desirable in some applications to model objects, 
> such as Organizations and Users.

Best regards.

P.S.
Kato san, Do you subscribing ldap-jp mailing list? If you so, 
I want to talk about CIM-related topics in Japanese on that list. 
I also will set up Japanese mailing list for CIM in December (soon).

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 Kentaro Fujinuma / IIGA Co., Ltd. / Network Administrator
 Contact: E-mail: [email-masked] 
          Tel: 03-5296-0389 / Fax: 03-5296-0386
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

---

From: "Andrea Westerinen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:11:59 -0800

Going into more detail about the differences between ManagedElement and
ManagedSystemElement:

- ManagedElement is a very high level abstraction that could represent the
root of the inheritance tree for all objects in CIM.  It has very generic
properties like Description.

- ManagedSystemElement is a high level abstraction for objects in (or of)
"systems".  (Systems are things like ApplicationSystems (ie, SAP),
NetworkSystems (ie, administrative domains) or ComputerSystems.)
ManagedSystemElement has a more specific semantic than ManagedElement in
that it has properties like status ("OK", "Error", "Starting", "Stopping",
etc) and an install date (the date-time that an instance was installed in
the system).  These properties would not work for objects like Person or
Configuration. A ManagedSystemElement would be a kind of ManagedElement.

Andrea

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Kentaro Fujinuma
> Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 1999 9:48 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: ManagedElement
>
>