Subject: discussion of requirments for configuration management

From: "Bert Wijnen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 99 21:27:05 CET

At the CFGMGMT BOF in Wahsinton D.C. we decided to continue the
discussion of requirements for configuration management.

We have opened a separate mailing list for this discussion.
This mailing list is at:

  [email-masked]

To subscribe do one of the following:

  - send email to [email-masked]
    in the body put a single line with text:  subscribe

  - send email to [email-masked]
    in the body put a single line with:  subscribe confmgmt

Please do not discuss configuration management requirments on the
mumble mailing list anymore.

The current list of requirements can be found in section 3 of:

   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ops-mumble-conf-management-00.txt

Several people at the BOF stated support for the requirements listed
in section 3 of the above document. It is good to hear from others
if they agree or disagree with that list of requirements.

Also, at the BOF, quite a few people stated additional requirements.
It would be nice if they could all prepare their requirement in
a concise posting to the new mailing list, so that others can then
indicate if they agree or disagree.

People who were not at the BOF and who want to state additional
requirements are invited to post them and contribute to the
discussion.

The draft-ops-mumble-conf-management-00.txt document also contains
two sections (4 and 5) in which COPS-PR/PIN and SNMP/MIB are
evaluated against the requirements in section 3. We do not currently
want more discussion on an evaluation. First we want to collect all
the requirements and include them in the list. Probably the
document with requirments can be posted as an informational RFC
later. After that... we may consider evaluating solutions against
the then consolidated list of requirements, but pls not now.

Thanks,
Bert