Subject: IESG decision on Configuration Management BOF

From: "Bert Wijnen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 99 00:36:10 CET

The document presented by the Design Team, the presentations and
discussion at the BOF and also the discussion in the hallways has
made it clear that we need to work some more on collecting and
documenting all the requirements for managing device configuration.

There for, the Design Team that presented the initial

   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ops-mumble-terminology-00.txt

will continue to collect input from the community. This input can be
posted to and discussed on the mailing list:

   [email-masked]

This Design Team is charged to produce an Informational RFC that lists
and discusses the requirements for Configuration Management.  The
sections of the internet-draft that are evaluations of the
different configuration management proposals will be removed so
that the resulting document just addresses the requirements.

At the same time, we do not want to stall the work that was already
started in the RAP WG. So we encourage that WG to continue to work
on COPS for Provisioning. This work is already part of the RAP WG
charter.

The work on a PIB for diffserve will be added to the diffserv
working group charter.

The SNMP-crowd (if I may call them so) has provided enough arguments
to make us believe that Configuration Management can be done with SNMP.
We have there for also decided to charter a WG for specifying how
we can do "Configuration Management with SNMP".
The exact charter for the WG needs to be worked out in the coming weeks.
We intend to quickly start-up a Design Team that will write some initial
internet drafts that can be used as a starter set of documents
for the WG when its formation is complete.

Thanks for all your input on this matter.

Bert Wijnen
IETF co-AD for Operations and Management