Subject: RE: IPSP WG Notice: Policy Terminology Draft, Extended WG Last Call

From: "Andrea Westerinen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 14:26:09 -0700

Replying and also sending to the policy mail list ...

Angelos,
From my reading of the RFC, KeyNote is a specific implementation
architecture and language for trust management. I agree that it is directly
related to security, but policy is only part of the architecture.  We do not
describe specific policy implementations in the terminology draft, but focus
instead on general policy terms and broad areas of use.

Andrea

-----Original Message-----
From: Angelos D. Keromytis [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 8:21 PM
To: Ed Ellesson
Cc: 'Luis Sanchez'; Joel M. Halpern; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IPSP WG Notice: Policy Terminology Draft, Extended WG Last
Call

Since the Policy Terminology draft is supposed to be applicable to IPSP as
well, I think this entry should be added:

   $ KeyNote
	(T) A system/language designed to express and evaluate security
            policies, credentials, and the trust relationships between
            users and entities that manage policies and domains. It is
	    application-independent but can be (and has been) applied to
	    different policy applications, such as IPsec, TLS, packet
	    filtering, and executable content sandboxing. [R2704]

And the biblio reference:

  [R2704] The KeyNote Trust Management System, Version 2.  M. Blaze, J.
      Feigenbaum, J. Ioannidis, and A. Keromytis. September 1999.

Cheers,
-Angelos

---

From: "Andrea Westerinen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 18:50:08 -0700

We did remove several references to WGs and specific implementations - since
we started to rathole on all the different possibilities.  SPSL was
identified early on as a "technique" and has been in the draft since -00 (I
believe).  However, you are correct in that it is another language.

I don't feel that any context is lost by removing SPSL from the draft.  So,
I will take this path unless the other editors or policy WG members feel
differently.

Andrea

-----Original Message-----
From: Angelos D. Keromytis [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2001 12:17 AM
To: Andrea Westerinen
Cc: Ed Ellesson; Policy@Raleigh. Ibm. Com; 'Luis Sanchez'; Joel M.
Halpern; [email-masked]

In message <[email-masked]>, "Andrea
Westerinen
>instead on general policy terms and broad areas of use.

Well, there *is* an entry for SPSL in the draft...
-Angelos