Subject: [Policy] Applicability of threshold values

From: "Krishna Prasad Akkineni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:27:58 +0530

Hi,
   This is a query about congestion control
properties of draft-ietf-policy-qos-info-model-04.txt.
(QoS Info model)

Are the properties  qpDropThresholdUnits,
qpDropMinThresholdValue and qpDropMaxThresholdValue
applicable *ONLY* for random-drop algorithm?
Are not those properties relavent for tail-drop or head-drop also?

Following is a related exerpt from the I-D:
3.4.2  Congestion Control Actions
The QoSPolicyCongestionControlAction class controls queue length, 
thresholds and congestion control algorithms.
A PEP should be able to keep in its queues qpQueueSize packets matching 
the rule's condition. In order to provide a link-speed independent queue 
size, the qpQueueSize property can also be measured in milliseconds. The 
time interval specifies the time needed to transmit all packets within 
the queue if the link speed is dedicated entirely for transmission of 
packets within this queue. The property qpQueueSizeUnit determines 
whether queue size is measured in number of packets or in milliseconds.

The property qpDropMethod selects either tail-drop, head-drop or random-
drop algorithms. The set of maximum and minimum threshold values can be 
specified as well, using qpDropMinThresholdValue and 
qpDropMaxThresholdValue properties, either in packets or in percentage 
of the total available queue size as specified by the 
qpDropThresholdUnits property.

Thanks & Regards
Krishna

---

From: "Ron Cohen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:01:01 +0200

Krishna,

> Are not those properties relavent for tail-drop or head-drop also?

These properties are relevant to head-drop and tail-drop algorithms as
well.
Please see example within section 3.4.3

Regards
Ron

> qpDropThresholdUnits property.

_______________________________________________
Policy mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/policy